International Love Affair

[font=times new roman][/font][color=darkred][/color]

A little more than a year and a half ago, I met a girl who would change my life, undoubtably, forever. She was an exchange student in my high school my senior year, having traveled from Italy to experience a year in the USA. At first, we only hung out together thru mutual freinds and didn't know each other all that well. But, by the end of the year (and the failure of two other relationships on my part) we started doing things together, just the two of us.

Over the course of the last month or two that she was in the United States, we both became aware of what it was we had started: A relationship stronger than freindship. I was sceptical at first, unsure if I really wanted to start a relationship with someone who would be leaving soon, returning to her home overseas. So we danced around each other for those two months, acting like normal freinds. Her last night in the USA I gathered some people for a going away party. Towards the end of the night we all ended up at my house; freinds leaving one-by-one and saying their goodbyes. I found myself next to her, starring into her eyes as our hands began to touch. The last of our freinds to leave noticed what was happening, and left us alone. For the next few hours, she and I stayed there, sitting on my couch, savoring the last few moments we would have together (which was actually the first time we had interacted as a couple). I knew then, that I was whole-heartedly in love....no turning back now. :love:

I dropped her off early that morning at her host parents house, so she would have time to pack and board the bus to leave. I left the house with the feeling that everything would be alright, and that no matter what, I would see her again.

I did. A year later, after having served 4 months in the Army and having started college, I flew to Italy and met her family on their vacation. I spent three of the most wonderfull weeks of my life with her. Traveling to Florence, Pisa, and her home city. After the trip, I knew there could be no one else for me...I had to be with her..

Unfortunately, the army still has its iron grip on the next 4 1/2 years of my life, meaning I cannot go anywhere. Also, the sheer economics of moving and attending college here makes it nearly impossible for her to move (also, there are a lot of other risks).

We have been having some trouble lately, though, relating to each other. Everyday we each have experiences in our own worlds that makes it even harder to get to know each other better. And, with the slow system of mail, and the length of time emailing back and forth can take, we have had problems communicating even the most basic of conversations.

Is there anyone else out there who has had this type of situation?

How can we increase our communication in this complicated situation?

What can I do to help us stay together when so many people and things tell us to break apart?

I love her so much....and we are great together. But we aren't together, which has increasingly become a problem.

I guess I am not really sure what to ask, or if anyone can have anything to help me with. But I could use some encouragement or advice to make this speration easier for us both....

overseas2004

I tried to be with this guy from Greece while I was living in the States. It did not last because we eventually met other people. I now that may be really painful to hear but you will definately be living seperate lives for a long time with no hope of being together. I don't mean to be cruel but its hard to stay in a relationship for that long without being able to touch, feel, laugh and share with the person.

But of course, you will try anyway and good luck to you. There is that 1 in a million chance that the two of you are like soul mates and will stay forever bound to one another.

Try to be positive.