Any advice on my situation is welcome...First LDR

Here's a recap of my situation. Met a guy (23-him, 21-me) back in July before he was going to Airforce boot camp and at the time I met him I was dating someone else. He got my address and we kept in touch, phone and letters. The interest was there from the very beginning, we just never pursued anythin for the mere fact he was leavin and I was dating someone-which didnt last very long. I went to see him in Mississippi while he was at tech school. There the interest grew a lot stronger. We kissed and acted like a couple the whole time I was there.

Since then.....he came back into town in December and we spent a lot of time together. We had our first official date. He even brought me 6 red roses. He met my parents. No one I've dated has ever met my parents. I was invited to meet his family while they did their early Christmas dinner and opening gifts. I've never met anyone's family either.....We got really close really fast while he was here.

He's now stationed in Alaska for 3 years. We never really talked about "us" because he knew it bothered me to talk about his leaving. One night we were talking and I said that he was going to find someone else up there and he said that he wasnt and that I had more of a chance finding someone here in this big town then he did in the small town he was goin to. Then he told me that he was ready to settle down and stop partying so much and that it was time to grow up. Now most guys wouldnt say something like to the girl they were dating unless they saw a future with that girl. RIGHT? Maybe I'm wrong on that one.

The last night that he was here was really hard for the both of us. He got upset with me because again I said that he was goin to find someone else and he asked why I thought that and I told him and he explained and he said that I make him happy and very few people make him happy. Then he said that I was going to find someone else and I told him that I didnt want anyone else. Of course I cried and he tried to make me feel better. He told me to think of this as a long vacation and vacations go by fast. He said that he's goin to call all the time and write letters and send pictures so it's just like he's here. Then we said our goodbyes. I could tell he was upset too. He left kinda quickly because he didnt want to make it any harder then it was. We stood outside my house just holding eachother for about 45 min. There was a lot of silence.

He called the day after he got there (he left the day after XMas) to let me know he was there and that he missed me. I was pretty down the first week and in need of reassurance because I hadnt heard from him, but I knew he was still gettin settled in and everything. He called (Friday)and we talked really good. He had just gotten his phone hooked up that day. He said that he's only called me and his parents since he's been there....He was telling me about the girls up there and how they are really military and brutes and then he was like but not that I'm looking. He said one guy he met parties a lot and of course I asked if he was gettin back into that and he said no. So that made me feel better. We talked the other night and we were joking around about his last name and how it could be used to his advantage and he said yea but I dont need to I have a girl back home. That really made me feel better about everything.

Its just hard him being at the other end of the world literally. I'm in FL and he's in AK. We've kept in good contact so far and he's coming home in April and I'm going up there sometime in the near future. We're both not looking for anyone else. He knew how many days we had been apart, I didnt even know that. I made him a cd before he left and he said he listens to it every night. He has a ring of mine with my name on it and he told me he wears it religiously, but its a lil big so he had to put it on his keys because thats the closest thing to him that he wont lose, but he's gettin a chain for it. He told me that he made me a picture but that it was a surprise so I had to wait on it. We're such cheese balls. We do lil things for eachother. His fav. candy is twizzlers so I bought 2 one pound bags and gave them to him before he left. Just an example.

He's just soo great and I'm really scared of my feelings and what's going to happen. He told me to just not worry about it and that we're going to get through this. He just makes me really happy. I havent felt this way in a long time. I thought the last guy I dated was great, but this guy is soo much more then that. We have a really strong connection and its easy to see that when we're together.

It's just hard, but in my heart I know that this is all going to be worth it in the long run. I have a very hard time of trusting people and I know that I have to trust him because if I dont then this isn't going to work. I have to believe and know that when he goes out to bars that he's not gonna meet some random girl. I know he's not looking and he's reassured me, but of course those thoughts are going through my head. We both miss each other and I know that this is going to get easier as the days go by, but it's still new and very hard. I have my good days and my bad.

So any advice or any comments on this would be ever so helpful....Thanks in advance :)

There are men who have the capacity to be devoted and who are romantics. Sounds as though your guy might be one. Thank your lucky stars and enjoy it. There is absolutely no point in worrying about what might happen. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Enjoy your today every day and before you know it, the three years will be gone.