How can I be happy in my long distance relationship!

Lovefromfaraway

Hello!

I have been in a long distance relationship for 5 months now. I go to school in Kentucky and he goes in Michigan. It is very enjoyable and I love my partner very much. We have a great foundation as we were friends for about 4 or 5 years prior to our relationship. For being long distance, our relationship has been quite excellent. I would not trade being with him for anything at all. We have discussed marriage and intend on getting married after he graduates in 5 years. Being long distance for that time will be difficult but worth it.

However, I am currently studying in Germany until the end of August. I am trying very hard to be happy, but I am constantly feeling immense pain when I am alone and am constantly checking Facebook for possible updates from my love. I always miss my boy friend, but never as much as I am in this foreign country. I miss him terribly!

I need help trying to lessen the pain while I am away for these 3 months. I have a few friends at my school but we are all intensive language students that must study a great deal. Also, besides that, I am not very good at making friends so I do have a bit of trouble connecting with these people from all around the world (most of which speak German as a second language so communication is already a bit difficult!)

I want to learn how to be happy spending time alone, but I have honestly never been alone before in my life. I don't want to "waste my time" sitting around in a foreign country doing nothing at all because I am very sad. The week days are filled with school but the weekends are very free and I have much time to be alone. What suggestions do you have so I can make this an enjoyable experience that is not constantly bombarded with feelings of sadness I have from missing my other (probably better!) half!

Any suggestions to help me get happy are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

heartshaped

Since you are in a foreign country, why don't you go see some of the sights? Go to museums, landmarks, famous buildings, things of that nature. Usually, they have tours going on in those types of places so you wouldn't be truly alone sightseeing.

creighton0123

Get a Polaroid camera and some lipstick. Go around, take pictures of you at various landmarks, kiss the photo and mail it to him.

You have 2 and a half months left. It's not that long of a time. You'll literally wake up one day and it will be over.

I do know the type of program you're in. It is quite a bit of studying, but you shouldn't let it stop you from experiencing Germany.

I'd also take this time to really develop being satisfied with being happy and alone. It is very possible to learn how to be alone, but not lonely. Once you develop that mentality you'll be an even better partner and lover to your boyfriend since you'll be in a situation where you ultimately want to be with him rather than needing to be with him.