can they work when we havent met in person yet

[color=indigo][/color][color=violet][/color][font=arial][/font]

:( okay..i met this guy through a friend of mine. i have never met him in person but we talk alot online. and on the phone. and its almost like i cant get enough of him. and he told me that he too felt really strange feeling that way because we never met. but i dont understand it. im not complaining tho. i mean we are going to meet up soon. and i really care about this guy and he cares about me too. and i really hope that the relationship can work out. i believe that long distance relationships can work but im just asking if they can work when we havent met in person yet. i know ppl will say thats weird and all but i know what i feel and i really care about this guy. and im willing to start something up. but i really really really want some advice on this ! ! PLEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE

• Author

[color=violet][/color][font=arial][/font]

okay..i met this guy through a friend of mine. i have never met him in person but we talk alot online. and on the phone. and its almost like i cant get enough of him. and he told me that he too felt really strange feeling that way because we never met. but i dont understand it. im not complaining tho. i mean we are going to meet up soon. and i really care about this guy and he cares about me too. and i really hope that the relationship can work out. i believe that long distance relationships can work but im just asking if they can work when we havent met in person yet. i know ppl will say thats weird and all but i know what i feel and i really care about this guy. and im willing to start something up. but i really really really want some advice on this ! ! PLEEEEEEEEEASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE ! ! plus there are some other probs but ill let yall know if i get some responses :love:

I think maybe you are just infatuated with the idea of this guy. I mean, having never met him, you don't know who he really is. He could tell you anything and for all you know, he is the "perfect" man. But in reality it could be not what you expect at all. Yeah, right now he seems like a great guy and the mystery is there and all, but you have know idea what kind of guy he really is.

I wouldn't be so quick to start a relationship with this guy. I mean, how could you care about someone so much that you have never met? If you ever do meet him, make sure you meet him in a public place and bring a friend along, just for safe measures. Make sure you tell someone close to you that you are going, where you are going and what time you expect to get back. That way you know you are being safe. Just be cautious. And don't believe everything he tells you. You never know for sure what is behind the corresponding computer.

this post puzzles me, to be frank. How can you know that a person you've never met is the one you want to launch a long-distance relationship with? Usually, the couple has met, dated and gotten to know each other and circumstances (school, work) dictate one of those people having to move/leave, hence the question of long-distance relationships and making a go at it.

before you give your heart away to someone you've never met, you really ought to spend some time with that person to see if you two actually click. It's so easy to misrepresent yourself on-line, even over the phone!

• Author

okay yeh i understand all of that. but its not like he's a complete freak or something. he's a very good friend of my best friend and yes he has met them all...actually he was here last summer but i was on vacation so we didnt get to meet up. also, i know it mite seem weird and all but i dont even know how else to explain it. ive never done this sorta thing before. so its strange to me too cuz yall are making it sound like im some sorta freak or sumthing :(:(

You need to understand that telephone chemistry and keyboard chemistry is a lot different than in person chemistry. It's a lot easier to relate to create chemistry in your mind when you're talking to somebody on the phone than when you're right there in front of them. I just don't understand why, with so many people to choose from right there in your city, you would want to go for somebody far away who's not going to be around to kiss you, hug you, hold your hand, whisper in your ear, etc. It's kind of nuts.

You may have some fear of intimate in-person relationships and, if so, this long distand thing may be just for you. However, if this is the case you ought to get counselling to help you get over this. There is nothing in the world better than a nice, in-person partner...and the sex is so much better too.

Why don't you just do whatever you want to do, because that's what you will end up doing anyway.

There's no reason to get mad about the advice we have given you just because it isn't what you wanted to hear. You came here for our opinions, and that's what we gave you. You should have known that those opinions might come with some advice you might not want to hear.

But you might as well just disregard everything we have said and just go do whatever it is you want to do with this guy, because in the end, that is what you are going to do anyway.

no one is calling you a freak or saying you're nuts, we're just advising you to be very cautious about wanting a relationship so badly with someone you've yet to meet. As Tony points out, the chemistry is completely different when you're with someone face to face, in person, than when you're with them over the phone or on the computer. I think maybe you've built this guy up into something so wonderfully fantastic and expect him to meet up to these ideals when the reality of it is, he could be someone you wouldn't have given a chance had you met him in person a long time ago.

• Author

no no i actually do appreciate all the advice. to be quite honest i was probably just a lil upset yesterday. i do understand what you all are saying and it is true...i agree. but how does that explain why everytime he pops up online i get all happy and cant wait to talk 2 him...or if he calls i get really happy. thats what i cant understand. i do think that its wack that i can like someone from talking to them online but...isnt that whats happening? :o that's what i cant explain really or understand

• Author

oh and tony im sorry bout that for real. i was just so confused and didnt know what was goin on. and i guess i didnt want to hear what anyone else had to say if it wasnt what i wanted to hear :confused:

hey sexi...i can talk to u about it if u like...i hardly go on here.and im not sure if we could give out our e-mail address...so if we can, give it to me and i will contact u...ok then ttyl

Okay well, I'm no expert on love but I have experience? I don't know. But umm I think it's possible that it can work but slightly unlikely.

Alot of people might disagree but to love someone

you have to atleast be attracted to them, no? What if he looks -- unattractive? But besides that long distance sucks, trust me, you rarely get to see them and rarely get to be there and such. But besides that what if you (or they) start to like somebody that's closer to them? Isn't that more conveniant? But if you really love eachother it'll work. So yeah, great advice, no?

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to let you know I've been there and I know exactly how you feel...but I have to tell you to be careful because the dude I met said nice things and said alot of things that werent true when I met him He was alot different in person than on computer. It was all good at first then...it started going really really bad...i was finding out who he really was and it wasnt good for me or the people involved...I lost alot because of my stupidity and this guy. I mean I know how you feel, happy excited to talk to this person...I know trust me...but you have to be soooo careful.....just meet up with him in person first...so at least you get a feel for him....I also know how its feels to THINK you know him.....just be careful...and yes I'm going through this again because like you, I met another guy online....we get along awesome and I get excited when i see him or talk to him.....I miss him lots.....but I have to say that theres this little piece of me who sayin step back....take a big look at the picture cause you never know hun....I wish you luck...!! ;)