Long Distance, hmmmm

The Preakness

Hello,

I'm just looking for ideas.

First, here's the current situation:

I am a recent graduate from a major university and now work for the university full time. I started seeing someone a month before the summer break hit. She has another year of school left. We are about 3 hours apart for 3 months. All things considered, this isn't too bad. She will actually live a block away from me next year merely by coincidence.

We try to talk every few days, but aren't forcing calls or anything. Until mid-july we're actually going to see each other every other week (which is much more than I expected).

However, here's where I wanted to see if anyone has suggestions. We are both active people. Our dates are mostly things like hiking, picnics, parties, etc. I'm trying to get people's suggestions on keeping things fresh since we did activities more than we chatted. Does anyone have any creative and unique ways of keeping it fresh? Like a mad-libs email or something? What has worked for you?

Also, any general tips would be nice... but I can probably find those by checking the site ;-)

I don't want to mess this up from having LDR inexperience, because I know what I look for in someone and this person fits the persona exactly. Thanks for your help.

if you are serious about keeping your relationship with this girl, don't drop the ball when it comes to communicating with her! Because no matter how much you like her, if you don't stay in touch on a regular basis, she's going to wonder if she's wasting her time on an LDR with you.

that said, there are many ways to be thoughtful -- funny emails (mad-libs?), cards, letters, phone calls, sending her a flower arrangement, etc. Really doesn't matter what vehicle you use to stay in communication, just as long as you stay in touch.

personally, I've always loved hearing or reading friends' descriptions of what's going on in their world because it makes me feel like I'm with them as they tell me. When my husband (then my LD boyfriend of sorts) was working overseas, he'd tell me about going to the outdoor market or going scuba diving with his roommate and the stuff they saw. When he later worked for the railroad, he'd describe some of the countryside they went through or some of the local festivals they'd attend on their days off....

I am in a similar situation for 3 months until the guy I recently started dating comes back home. He is across the country in the middle of nowhere until Aug. 22. He has only been gone less than a week but I miss him like crazy! We were also very active when we went on our dates. But, I realize that this is a good way for him to really get to know what I do in my everyday life. When he first went out there, we didn't know what to expect of our communication tools. However, it turns out he does have limited access to the computer and Internet. So, since finding this out, I have been writing him funny emails depicting what is going on with mutual friends, work, school, etc. He is not able to watch the news much or keep up with current events, so I also inform him of that.

I also have been asking my friends what they would do if they were in my position. They have given me good advice to write letters in my free time between classes or when I am waiting for an appointment or something. They said to do this because sometimes you are not always up for writing when things are hectic or busy, which is almost impossible for foretell. I have gone to a Hallmark store and bought loads of "Wish you were here" and "I miss you" cards that are funny or sentimental. I have also begun taking pictures of outings that I may have with our friends so that he can feel like he didn't get left out or miss anything.

I don't know if this helps, but I wish you luck! :D

BoredandJaded

I'm also in a LDR - my boyfriend lives 3000+ miles from me and its hard to be apart but we find ways to talk as much as possible. In between, we use a lot of email card sites, (go to http://www.google.com and search for free ecards - theres thousands of sites)

I recently sent him a photo he liked - a pic of me in bed (covered lol) with an empty pillow next to my head. On the pillow I added some text saying Wish you were here! Simple but got the message across that I miss him.

Theres also web sites where you can email her some flowers.

If you want to keep things fresh, tell her about new things you do, new people you meet, try to avoid same old same old emails (an easy trap to fall into over a long period of time) and send her pics of things you've seen that you think she'll like.

Good Luck