US-Canadian relationship

After much searching and asking many questions, I am still not getting any answers. I am hoping that someone here may be able to give some advice to my situation. I am involved in a long distance relationship with someone from Canada. I live in the US. We have known each other for 17 months. He is planning to move to the US and we are going to live together. Our problem is, as far as we know he can only stay for 6 months as a visitor and then must return to Canada. Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to how he can stay longer? We plan to marry but because of my alimony, I can't get married at this time. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the immigration laws as they relate to Canadians but there are work permits and such that allow them to stay in the United States as long as they want. Canadians have been our friends for many years...mostly because we decided their country wasn't worth invading (lol).

I urge you to take an hour of time of a good immigation attorney and get the information you need. It will only take an hour, even less, but I'm very sure there are strategies for your guy to be able to stay here just as long as he wants.

People come and go across the Canada/U.S. border all day long with little or no problems. Don't depend on the advice of anybody who is not an immigration attorney to answer this question for you, however. I personally have no doubt this will be a no-brainer.