My husband is hurting

Island Girl

My husband has gout.

And he has had it for decades now.

I was the first one that took him to the doctor and when the doctor mentioned it he emphatically told him that he had been tested already and doesn't have gout.

But when we went home I started reading about it and became convinced.

So days later when we went back for the same attack (because obviously the medication given wasn't going to work! Duh.) I told the doctor not to listen to Mr. Island, that I believed it was gout - all the symptoms fit, and to test him for it.

The doctor came in and said, "you have a very smart girlfriend. You have gout."

Mr. Island almost cried. He knew his diet would be restricted and his days of 4 or 5 steaks at a time were over. And he LOVES food. I think I am the only one who comes before food and the way I know that is because when I call and he's eating, he'll stop and talk to me for however long (although he is usually cranky :laugh:).

He won't do that for anyone else. Awwwwww.

He ignored it for the first 10 or so years because he loves food so much.

He just endured the pain. And it is likened to the pain of childbirth (which I only just recently found out and I used to insist on dancing to my favorite songs when he had attacks - yeah - I am a B*yatch :o).

The disease has progressed (because of ignoring it and then, even when he found out, eating what he wanted) so he can have flare ups anywhere including hands, elbows, even his back.

He has been trying to eat right for the last few years. And he is getting attacks anyway.

He has a VERY severe attack going on now. It started over two weeks ago. It was in both feet and his right hand.

It is still in his feet "a liddle bet" ---- Island translation "a little bit".

So he still can't walk.

I worry and worry. I tell him - I'd say dictate to him what he needs to eat and how much, etc.

But they don't have the medication we do and I can't get prescriptions because I don't have it.

The main staples they eat are all bad for gout. And what would be okay to eat is really really expensive. :(:mad::(

I guess I am just pouring it out here because you guys can relate to how I must possibly feel being separated.

It sucks.

It weighs on me and I have difficulty concentrating.

I can't sit on the phone with him though I want to.

And I researched some other options and did find some good research on some natural supplements that he can't OD on (like pain meds - because I fear if the pain is so bad and the dosage doesn't make it stop - he'll take more which probably seems irrational to all of you but I constantly fear something will happen to either of us during our long wait :o).

Anyway.

Thanks for reading if you did. :(:(:o

Trialbyfire

Gout is very painful. Your poor hubby. :(

My uncle and cousin (father and son), both have it. They take allopurinol and swear by it, since neither has had an attack since. But, they`ve both also reduced their meat intake.

I'm clearly not familiar with gout, as I had no idea it could affect hands and feet!

I'm sorry your hubby is suffering, IG. :( I'm also sorry for not following closely enough, but now that you're married, why aren't you physically in the same place?

hoping2heal

Aw, I'm sorry IG. Yes, I know how it is when your honey is hurting, for whatever reason. You hurt right along with them. You said you couldn't sit on the phone with him through it, could you voice chat or anything?

This is what has been a lifesaver for my honey and I. In the begining he was paying all the phone bills and they were SKY high, being international and such. I found a wireless mic set, purchased it and it's been wonderful. Could you do anything like that?

I hope he starts to feel better soon. Maybe you could make him a get well card or do something nice? My honey suffered a set back a few weeks ago with work, and it was a really important thing. When it fell through and didn't go the way he'd hoped, I felt so terrible, "I" had tears. Well, I got the news about 2 am and went into my back parking lot, and made a huge chalk mural with 5 1/2 foot letters and pictures that were symbolic to *us* saying "I believe in you". It took me a few hours and my muscles ached for the next few days but it was so worth it! I know it always makes me feel better to do something I think will make him feel loved and special. Especially during those down times. So maybe you could do something to cheer him up?

Sorry, I'm not fully aware of your communication limitations, so if it's something you can't do , don't mind my suggestions.

• Author
Island Girl
Gout is very painful. Your poor hubby. :(

My uncle and cousin (father and son), both have it. They take allopurinol and swear by it, since neither has had an attack since. But, they`ve both also reduced their meat intake.

Thank you TBF.

And I am checking into the drug suggestion. :cool:

It looks like you need a prescription and I don't know that it would be available there (there isn't much available there of anything).

I know from selling pharmaceuticals that Guifessin's (and Guifenessin - same family) side effects are ridding the body of uric acid. So I got some Mucinex too that I'll ship to him.

Cherries have rave reviews as well and I don't believe there is any risk of OD or side effects.

So I have cherry pills on order -- I am waiting for them now.

He hates cherries but I think he'd eat them now if they were available. They never get cherries.

But when he lived with me I made a drink with half cherry JuicyJuice (no sugar added because sugar affects gout too) and half sugar free Kool Aid - usually Hawaiian Punch:p - and that was "his drink" so I'd give him a gallon that he'd take with him in the mornings for work - and always have some made up in the fridge for him.

So he stopped getting attacks and never knew he was drinking cherry juice. HA!

He has reduced his meat intake. He no longer has 7 lamb steaks, etc.

No alcohol. No added sugar. Lots of water. Reduced starches like potatoes and taro.

Now that his interview has been done there will be funds to send things to him. But one small box is almost $100 through the post office and it takes 4-6 weeks to get there.

• Author
Island Girl
I'm clearly not familiar with gout, as I had no idea it could affect hands and feet!

I'm sorry your hubby is suffering, IG. :( I'm also sorry for not following closely enough, but now that you're married, why aren't you physically in the same place?

Thanks SG.

We have applied for his visa and it took two years to get his interview but it FINALLY happened April 1st this year.

YAY!

But they said some of the paperwork submitted was "too old" so new copies had to be obtained for submission. All of them but one have been gathered and submitted.

The other one can take up to a year to get. :mad:

And yeah, they are old copies, they've had the file for over two years. :mad:

We will be reunited soon. Soon. *sigh*

Islanders are very susceptible to gout... one of my relatives had it bad and it contributed to his death. His eating got worse as he got older, and he could barely breathe, let alone walk, last time I saw him.

My uncle has it and had to cut back on his diet to reduce flareups. I guess he doesn't want to die too early, now that he has so many grandchildren to spoil. LOL

It's tough to give up the good food, especially when one's around family and friends. I hope your hubby can see where this is taking him before it's too late.

• Author
Island Girl
Aw, I'm sorry IG. Yes, I know how it is when your honey is hurting, for whatever reason. You hurt right along with them. You said you couldn't sit on the phone with him through it, could you voice chat or anything?

I really appreciate that H2H.

Don't feel bad about the suggestion but they have only recently gotten the internet and my husband has no idea how to operate a computer. He has never used one.

This is what has been a lifesaver for my honey and I. In the begining he was paying all the phone bills and they were SKY high, being international and such. I found a wireless mic set, purchased it and it's been wonderful. Could you do anything like that?

They are astronomical right?!

We used to use calling cards so we wouldn't have these surprise bills. - It is $1.77 a minute. :eek:

Those worked well but in April 2008 a new company bought their biggest phone company (they have two) and since then phone cards don't work to call there. :mad:

Not just from America because his cousin's wife is in NZ and she can't use them from there either.

Happy news is I did find out that our cable company supplies a GlobalPlan which is 250 minutes a month for $20.00 to household phones. And his numbers all register as household not mobile. So we get to talk a bit more often now and can have longer conversations. :bunny:

I hope he starts to feel better soon. Maybe you could make him a get well card or do something nice?

Yes. I will do this. When he gets it he'll be over the moon. I haven't sent him a letter in a while so it will be a really nice surprise.

Thanks.;)

My honey suffered a set back a few weeks ago with work, and it was a really important thing. When it fell through and didn't go the way he'd hoped, I felt so terrible, "I" had tears. Well, I got the news about 2 am and went into my back parking lot, and made a huge chalk mural with 5 1/2 foot letters and pictures that were symbolic to *us* saying "I believe in you". It took me a few hours and my muscles ached for the next few days but it was so worth it!

What a wonderful thing for you to do. Thank you for sharing this. It warmed my heart. :love::love:

I bet your honey LOVED IT.

I know it always makes me feel better to do something I think will make him feel loved and special. Especially during those down times. So maybe you could do something to cheer him up?

True. Very true. And I have fallen out of doing things like these. I need to get back in the swing of that.

We've been doing this a long time and we are both comfortable in it. I guess it is easy to forget about doing the little things. Though he doesn't ever.:o

Sorry, I'm not fully aware of your communication limitations, so if it's something you can't do , don't mind my suggestions.

That's quite alright. He is in a teenie tiny itty bitty country in the South Pacific.

He doesn't have a computer. Not many people do there.

And the internet is a very new thing.

hoping2heal

oh ok :) . Sorry to hear about internet, that's a bummer. I think you're right that he will be excited when he gets something, especially if it's been awhile. I bet you'll feel better too, because although you can't comfort him in personr ight now, or via phone..you'll realise you ARE doing SOMETHING and won't feel so "helpless" .

Good luck with what you decide :)

• Author
Island Girl
oh ok :) . Sorry to hear about internet, that's a bummer. I think you're right that he will be excited when he gets something, especially if it's been awhile. I bet you'll feel better too, because although you can't comfort him in personr ight now, or via phone..you'll realise you ARE doing SOMETHING and won't feel so "helpless" .

Good luck with what you decide :)

Thank you very much.

He will definitely like the surprise. And now I have to be thinking about just what -- so there is less available space for worry and feeling bad for him. That is a really good thing.

hoping2heal

One time, I purchased a small little "hug pillow" in the shape of this owl with huge eyes. Humorous looking little thing you know, anyhow I slept on it so it would pick up my scent, sealed it, and shipped it. That way he would not only get a gift from me; He'd get something that had MY scent on it. To this day he keeps it sealed and only opens it ever so often, trying to preserve the smell as long as he can :love: .

Maybe something along the lines of that he would like :).

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. I know how painful gout can be. My uncle had it. I can imagine how hard it is fir you being so far away when your hubby is sick.

I do hope you both will feel better soon.

*hugs*

the cherries are some pretty good juju – DH found out about their healing qualities listening to an interview with Lance Armstrong, who said they helped reduced swelling. So definitely keep supplementing his diet with it, every little bit helps.

assure him that once his body grows accustomed to a healthier diet, all the stuff that he once consumed just isn't going to taste as good anymore because his taste buds (and system) has already started to reject that stuff. And when you don't fixate on that (like me and Big Red), it's not as painful ...

meanwhile, keep the faith IG, the perfect solution will present itself when you least expect it.

hugs to you and your honey!

• Author
Island Girl
Islanders are very susceptible to gout... one of my relatives had it bad and it contributed to his death. His eating got worse as he got older, and he could barely breathe, let alone walk, last time I saw him.

Yes they are. I don't know why that is but it is very sad.

Maybe it is because so much of what they're diet has become is food not native to the islands.

They eat a lot of lamb and of course it is imported there because there were no sheep 100 years ago.

I am sorry about your relative. :eek:

My husband has been trying really hard over the last couple of years to eat right and he doesn't drink alcohol at all anymore (he used to be a party guy).

I hope becoming more conscious of it he will not go down that path. :(

It will be much easier to care for him here in the US where he has a greater accessibility to other foods.

My uncle has it and had to cut back on his diet to reduce flareups. I guess he doesn't want to die too early, now that he has so many grandchildren to spoil. LOL

Since we got married he has really been trying.

His mom told me she is very surprised because he has always been such an eater. Oh the stories she told me about his childhood!! She said when he was a toddler they were in trouble if they ran out of food.

It's tough to give up the good food, especially when one's around family and friends. I hope your hubby can see where this is taking him before it's too late.

You're right. And his relatives (they have big family meals) cook and make mostly "bad" food.

He cooks a lot of his own and stays away from them.

But right now he stays by himself in what can only be called a shack with no electricity or water -- and I don't like the idea of him holed up in that environment with no interaction.

But every time the family sees him they offer up whatever they have prepared so he is constantly challenged. :eek:

He has gotten better at saying "No, thank you." a lot.

• Author
Island Girl
I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. I know how painful gout can be. My uncle had it. I can imagine how hard it is fir you being so far away when your hubby is sick.

I do hope you both will feel better soon.

*hugs*

Yeah. I really wasn't aware how painful but lately I have been reading more personal stuff about it on the net and as I said one study showed the pain was around the same level as child birth. :eek:

When we were together before, as I said, I used to want to go dance and he'd go dance. I can't even imagine how much pain he was in while doing that and he would just take it because he knew dancing made me happy.

When we'd go to the grocery store for something there were times when he'd ask me - "do you want me to go in with you?" and I'd always say yes. So he'd limp in with me and go all over the store. :(

Sometimes, when he was finally at home resting, he'd say something if I mentioned something that required moving around (something he'd normally do) and I know I wasn't as understanding as I should have been. :(

Poor guy. *sigh*

• Author
Island Girl
the cherries are some pretty good juju – DH found out about their healing qualities listening to an interview with Lance Armstrong, who said they helped reduced swelling. So definitely keep supplementing his diet with it, every little bit helps.

They help reduce swelling and they help the body rid itself of uric acid (the culprit!).

I didn't know they were available in pill form - so I got enough for a few months and the recommended dosage is 4 pills a day.

Hopefully that will assist him to not have an attack.

The Mucinex (Guaifenisin) side effect is expelling uric acid so he is getting some of those too.

I just hate medication like that because I worry about side effects.

One of the warnings of interactions actually says:

"This product can affect the results of certain lab tests (e.g., uric acid levels, 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid levels, vanillylmandelic acid levels). Make sure laboratory personnel and your doctors know you use this drug."

So the effect on uric acid levels is well documented.

If he does feel an attack coming on taking one of those should assist with the higher level of uric acid pretty quickly. So it may help both with severity and length.

He just can not use it as a preventative or use it because he thinks he may be getting a gout attack. He has to be sure. And that means it progresses to a certain point - so he has to take the pain to that point.

assure him that once his body grows accustomed to a healthier diet, all the stuff that he once consumed just isn't going to taste as good anymore because his taste buds (and system) has already started to reject that stuff. And when you don't fixate on that (like me and Big Red), it's not as painful ...

Awww no Big Red for you quank? I used to be addicted to the stuff. I don't even know how I got on the wagon but I'll be sure not to fall off if there is some issue with it!

He is trying to eat healthier but so much of what he CAN have (as far as the lists I have) they just don't have access to there.

I told him he just has to wait until he gets to the states for variety. And I wasn't kidding. I know. Not nice right?

meanwhile, keep the faith IG, the perfect solution will present itself when you least expect it.

hugs to you and your honey!

Thank you!

I wrote Obama to tell him how ridiculous the FOIA backlog is.

The same issue was on two news shows tonight (good sign?) and there is a huge push to get it handled.

So that means there are good things happening that would effect him coming.

Aw IG sorry to hear about your Hs dilemma.

I remember being in your Hs country, and meat/carbs were definitely staples. White bread was the only kinf on offer, and we ate alot of tomatoes and avocado.

I had the worst food poisoning of my life there from a pig on a spit, but we were honoured guests at a feast, and turning the food down would have been the height of rudeness.

I wondered if posting stuff there from NZ might be quicker and cheaper?

More direct links to your Hs country from here due to the big island population here. (and its closer)

If you want me to arrange something let me know via PM.

• Author
Island Girl
Aw IG sorry to hear about your Hs dilemma.

Yeah. It totally sucks.

I remember being in your Hs country, and meat/carbs were definitely staples. White bread was the only kinf on offer, and we ate alot of tomatoes and avocado.

I know and it seems like they put ketchup on everything! There is a lot of sugar in ketchup.

I ate the bread with NZ butter at almost every meal and sometimes, depending on what was served, it was all I ate. :D

That NZ butter is wonderful! I still dream about it (:love:) and my husband says they have it here at the Asian market stores but the smell in those kind of gets to me.

A lot of their food is unfamiliar to me and most of it I don't really enjoy.

I had the worst food poisoning of my life there from a pig on a spit, but we were honoured guests at a feast, and turning the food down would have been the height of rudeness.

There were many eatings for me and I ate but not a whole lot of stuff.

We had the whole pig thing at our wedding. All of the guests loved it. :laugh:

The food poisoning must have been awful! I am so sorry you went through that.

I wondered if posting stuff there from NZ might be quicker and cheaper?

More direct links to your Hs country from here due to the big island population here. (and its closer)

If you want me to arrange something let me know via PM.

It just may be. And I appreciate the offer.

I will check the time lines online and I'll let you know.

In any event I really do appreciate it sb. Here you are with a full plate of things going on and you are willing to go out of your way for someone you have never met.

You are gold. :love:

• Author
Island Girl
You deserve it IG. :)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Okay this is kind of ridiculous but how can I get into a NZ search engine?

I am trying but I keep ending up with results in the US in Canada. :o

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm kinda slow but I figured it out. LOL

Ok here goes.

A 4kg parcel with dimensions 100mmX200mmx50mm is NZD$60 to send airmail which is 5-10 working days. 4kg is quite heavy sure you could probably get quite a few tablets in there!

NZD$1= USD$0.64 so parcel would be roughly a third of the cost to post from the US.

way_2_tired

Here is a basic handout on gout, written for patients. you probably already know what is listed below, but I thought it might help.

[sIZE=5]What is [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR]?

[/sIZE][COLOR=#bb0000]Gout[/COLOR] is a kind of arthritis caused by uric acid crystals forming in one or more joints. Uric acid is a substance that forms when your body breaks down a substance called purines. This substance normally dissolves in your blood and passes through your kidneys into your urine. In people who have [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR], uric acid builds up and can then form sharp crystals in the joint space. This causes pain and swelling in the affected joints.

[sIZE=5]Who can develop [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR]?

[/sIZE]

If you eat a lot of foods that are rich in purines, you may be at an increased risk for [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR]. Some of these foods are salmon, sardines, organ meats, asparagus, mushrooms and herring.

You are more likely to develop [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] if you're overweight, drink excessive amounts of alcohol or have high cholesterol, diabetes or high blood pressure. Men develop [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] more often than women. Women are more likely to develop [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] after menopause. [COLOR=#bb0000]Gout[/COLOR] also tends to run in families (is hereditary).

Medicines that may cause [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] include the following:

[FONT=Symbol]·[/FONT] Certain diuretics ("water pills") used to treat high blood pressure

[FONT=Symbol]·[/FONT] Niacin (a B-complex vitamin)

[FONT=Symbol]·[/FONT] Aspirin (taken in low doses)

[FONT=Symbol]·[/FONT] Cyclosporine (brand names: Sandimmune, Neoral), which is used to prevent the body from rejecting a new organ after transplant surgery

[FONT=Symbol]·[/FONT] Some drugs used to treat cancer

[FONT=Symbol]·[/FONT] Pyrazinamide, which is used to treat tuberculosis

[sIZE=5]What is a [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] attack like?

[/sIZE]

The symptoms of [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] may be sudden. They usually start at night, often in the big toe joint (but can also occur in the joints of the feet, ankles, knees, hands and wrists). The affected joint becomes red, feels hot and hurts. The joint hurts more when you touch it.

[sIZE=5]What should I do if I have a [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] attack?

[/sIZE]

You should rest in bed during an attack of [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR]. Putting an ice pack on the joint may ease the pain. Keeping the weight of clothes or bedding off the joint can also help. Medicines that you can take without a prescription that reduce inflammation and pain may also help, such as aspirin or ibuprofen (one brand name: Motrin). Your doctor can also prescribe medicine for you.

The sooner you get treatment, the sooner the pain will go away. Your doctor can prescribe medicine to help stop the joint swelling and pain. With treatment, your [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] attack should go away in a few days. While having a [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] attack, you should also reduce the amount of animal protein you eat and avoid alcohol completely.

[sIZE=5]What if I don't get treatment?

[/sIZE]

If you don't get treatment, a [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] attack can last for days or even weeks. If you keep having more attacks, more joints may become affected, and the attacks will last longer.

If you have [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] attacks for many years, you may develop tophi (say "toe-fee"). These are uric acid crystals that form lumps under the skin. Tophi usually form on the toes, fingers, hands and elbows. You may also develop kidney disease or kidney stones from uric acid crystals that collect in the urinary tract. Over time, even the bone around a joint may be destroyed by [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR].

[sIZE=5]What can I do to avoid [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] attacks?

[/sIZE]

Your doctor can prescribe medicines to prevent future [COLOR=#bb0000]gout[/COLOR] attacks. These medicines can wash the uric acid from your joints, reduce swelling and decrease the amount of uric acid in your body.

You should lose weight if you are overweight. If you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes, you should get treatment for these conditions and follow a low-salt, low-fat diet.

Avoid alcohol and foods that are high in purines. Drink lots of water and other fluids, which can help flush uric acid from your body