I've been lying to my boyfriend =(

GanymedeBebop

Recently I did an internship with Disney, and I met the guy of my dreams. Everything I wanted in a guy.

But I've been lying to him. It's kind of a long story, but here goes:

Sometimes when I'm bored at work I like to talk with accents, just out of sheer boredom. So one day I decided to talk in an Irish accent. This girl I work with was like "why are you talking like that?!" and I wasn't really close to her, so I was like "cause I'm Irish." So she told everyone. And the way I saw it, I was only going to know these people for a few months...so why not just roll with it?

I got to be good friends with one guy, and we hung out a lot. My Irish-ness was never really a topic of discussion, and when it was I just sort of nodded and agreed. I figured there wasn't much harm in it.

Well my friend introduced me to one of his friends one day, and the first thing he tells his friend is that I'm from Ireland. And it would turn out that his friend (Cameron) is obsessed with Ireland. And it would turn out that Cameron is now my boyfriend.

The whole stupid situation just snowballed. And I never thought it would really matter, cause I didn't think I was going to end up falling in love. But I have...and because I have, I need to tell him the truth. I honestly find the situation ridiculous. I feel like a jackass, but at the same time it's sort of funny. I think Cameron will be pretty upset though.

The thing is, that I took it too far. I mean I didn't always have the accent, but I told him I grew up there, and sometimes it just comes out. But I would occasionally talk about what it was like there and such.... Well I've never even been there.

I don't know how to tell him. He's in FL right now, and I'm back home in Indiana. I have to tell him. I don't know how. I think he'll be upset...but I think we can get past it, maybe. I just don't know how.

I'm super stressed about it, because I just want to get it out there. I spent $200 on a plane ticket to see him next weekend. Money I don't have. Should I just tell him tonight over the phone? Or wait till I see him in person?

Please help!

LovieDove24

There was a window of time where you could have mentioned it and it would have been nothing more than a silly prank you both could have laughed at. But you took it further and fabricated stories of his beloved Ireland. Honestly, you rolled the dice now its time to fess up before that window of opportunity becomes increasingly smaller.

Tell him everything you have told us. That you didn't intend to fall in love and that you were doing the accent as a harmless way to have fun and pass the time with your coworkers. I'm guessing he will wonder what else you have lied about and trust issues will arise. But if you love him, telling him now is the only opportunity you have to salvage this thing.

I think you should tell him NOW. This is seriously no way to start a relationship. Especially a long distance one, and all the trust issues that come with it.

He will definitely wonder what else you have lied about. You have to come clean anyways. Better you tell him than he finds out from somewhere else.

Good luck!

Island Girl
I think you should tell him NOW. This is seriously no way to start a relationship. Especially a long distance one, and all the trust issues that come with it.

He will definitely wonder what else you have lied about. You have to come clean anyways. Better you tell him than he finds out from somewhere else.

Good luck!

I agree completely. Under the circumstances you may want to tell him in person since that is just a few days away.

Where you are from is a basic thing. And it doesn't matter in the beginning.

But if later on it is found that a person lied about the very basics -- well, it calls everything else after into question.

It especially damaging that you made up stories of what it was like to grow up there, etc.

Come clean. Tell him the truth. And let him know there is nothing else (is there?? :eek:) that you have misrepresented in any way.

I wish you luck too.

• Author
GanymedeBebop

Well I went ahead and told him.

He was pretty angry that I lied. But I explained what had happened. That it was something dumb I did at work before I ever met him. That it was pretty harmless...and just snowballed into something bigger. I told him I wouldn't even be having this conversation with him if I didn't feel like our relationship was going to last. It was never intended to hurt him.

All in all, I damaged our trust, but he seemed to get over it fairly quickly. He was all in all just upset that I lied, and he wished I'd told him sooner. I wish so too. But he still loves me very much and still wants me to come visit next weekend, and he's glad I didn't wait to do it in person.

He had to call his parents and his friends and tell them the truth. He said his parents were a little concerned that I was lying to him, but his friends just found it funny. At the end of the night we were able to laugh about it. Even though he forgave me, I still feel like a total jerk. I'm really nervous about meeting his friends and family.

I still just feel horrible about the situation. =( I'm not a liar. It was tearing me apart having to figure out how to tell him. I just never knew a good time, and I mean it's only been a little over a month...but that's a long time to keep up a lie

Chrome Barracuda

LMAO!!!

...That's it? You lied about being irish??? Good lord. just tell him, that isnt grounds for anything, he might be disappointed but just tell him the truth.

Out of all the things lol.

This isnt so bad. trust me I've seen worse.

sunflower89

I actually did the same thing. I went through a stage of lying on the internet to people..It was a combination of not wanting to deal with my own issues so I created others that were fake that I "could deal with" and because I wanted attention. I'm in counselling for it at the moment actually..

But yeah, anyway. I met my boyfriend online and (amongst other things) told him I was Welsh (I'm really English). When he found out he was pissed but it wasnt a massive deal because I'm stilll from the UK. I'd tell him ASAP. He might laugh it off but he'll be upset that you lied to him for so long. Get it over with and be honest.

optimisticpessimist

This is so funny to me because I did nearly the exact same thing. When I was 13 I met this guy in training to be a candy striper, but we were joking around the entire time and I ended up getting kicked out of the program before my first day. Well of course I had fallen "in love" with him during that day and was heartbroken that I'd never see him again. All I knew was his name but he wasn't from anywhere near me and at 13 I had no way to find him (this was ages before the internet.) So fast forward to age 17...I was outside of a local music club and had been drinking all night and was joking around with these other kids in the parking lot that I didn't know, and I'm faking an Irish accent. Well somehow or other the candy striper story comes up and I say "and all I knew was his name, ____ ______!" And one of the guys jumps up and says "that was me!" I couldn't believe it!!!!! He asked why I had an Irish accent and I told him that I moved to Ireland right after I met him and picked up the accent. Well, since it was such a fateful meeting of course I went home with him that night and we started dating...all the while I'm faking this accent. After like a month I just slowly started "losing my accent" since I was "back in the States." Luckily the r'ship only lasted another couple weeks or else I would have had quite a lot more to explain. Funny sidenote: Another 5 years later, when I was a bike messenger, he shows up and starts messenging for the same company. This time things were not as amicable except for one drunken night. Funny how life is.

Interesting enough to wonder why are all faking Irish accent? Irishs are really more attractive than others?

Easy to fake accent, even I can do it. Now Scottish, that's a toughie.

hopefulInFuture

I thought such stuff only happened in the movies. You must be really bored if you see a need to lie about such stuff.

Lies hurt relationships. And if you did fake that you were Irish, you were a liar. Well, at least you figured out that you were wrong and hopefully this is the last time you will lie in general to your boyfriend.

If I were in your boyfriend's shoes, I might be a little upset at first, but I doubt that this is something that could seriously damage a relationship. I actually find it kind of funny. These are the types of stories that you can laugh about and tell your grandkids someday.