LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating > Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy

Is it common for girls (even guys) to get jealous when people say...


Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy Being unfaithful to your significant other or suspect them of the same? Can't stand the way they flirt? Jealous? Discuss your experiences here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilyana76
  • 1 Post By stillafool
  • 1 Post By smackie9
  • 2 Post By basil67
  • 1 Post By ExpatInItaly
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2017, 1:22 PM   #1
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 318
Is it common for girls (even guys) to get jealous when people say...

that their sister/brother or friends are hot? I've noticed this mostly with girls, that if you say that their friend is hot they think it means that they think that that friend or sister is hotter than they are. Like if they were looking at a picture or something. I remember a long time ago back in the AIM days, I told a friend that I thought her sister was hot, and she blocked me for a short time...also remember a friend getting offended when a guy said that her sister was hot. Apparently that means that he thinks that she's hotter than her...which I guess I can see...*shrug* I guess I'm wondering how does one avoid that problem? Is there any way to avoid it? Even if they are hotter, that doesn't mean that they aren't good looking...idk.
ZayKayWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 1:40 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,908
Don't care much about a comment on a friend's or a celebrity's hotness, but one of my exes used to often tell me his exes were hot, specifically as a way to dent my self-esteem. It worked for a while, until it didn't.

So yeah, I would recommend avoiding making these sorts of comments or skillfully changing the subject if a question like that comes up, especially if you know your partner is sensitive to that sort of stuff or a little body-conscious.
PrettyEmily77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 1:45 PM   #3
Established Member
 
Lilyana76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 305
That all depends....

If it was a man I am in a relationship with and he says my best friend is hot.. or oogles her in front of me, yeah it would make me mad if they never made me feel like I was hot or if they never oogled me.

If its a random guy that says to me.. dang your best friend is hot! I'd say, You're damn right she is! And not be jealous about it at all.
__________________
My life is like a romantic comedy, except that there is no romance and it's just me laughing at my own jokes
Lilyana76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 1:58 PM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,008
If they get jealous because a friend is being complimented they are not truly a friend. Good friends recognize the positive things in their friends and would agree with the person who is complimenting them. Jealous people are not your friend. Just say what you feel and don't worry about the other's reaction.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 2:54 PM   #5
Established Member
 
smackie9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey BC Canada
Posts: 9,592
Jeeeezzzz Louis! It's not a big deal! Some people do feel a little let down....that expression "What am I? chopped liver?!" It's perfectly normal to feel a twinge of jealousy.....and even feel worse for teenagers or young 20's......still at that self conscience stage. It doesn't mean you are being a bad person.

It's immature to block and shut someone down for it tho for sure.....they need to just suck it up.

Mature people learn that there will always be someone more attractive than you and will drawn more attention. Just part of life.
__________________

You are a fool if you believe that having each others passwords = trust.
smackie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 11:44 PM   #6
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 968
As a brother/son, it was weird the rare time anyone said that about my sister or mom. Luckily it almost never happened, but there are some guys who had wickedly hot sisters or moms and they hated when it was mentioned. I mean, it is your sister or mom. You get a weird feeling when you hear that which I can't describe. No, not jealousy of course, but.............I don't know..........."ickiness"? Is that a word?
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 1:25 AM   #7
Established Member
 
anduina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 288
If my boyfriend said it, it would bother me since it's rude to do so. If I was interested in the guy assuming I was single, he'd likely be friend zoned for that statement since that tells me that he's either rude, has no idea that I'm interested, is trying to make me jealous or he's interested in another. If a male friend or relative said it, it wouldn't bother me.
anduina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 2:25 AM   #8
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by anduina View Post
If my boyfriend said it, it would bother me since it's rude to do so. If I was interested in the guy assuming I was single, he'd likely be friend zoned for that statement since that tells me that he's either rude, has no idea that I'm interested, is trying to make me jealous or he's interested in another. If a male friend or relative said it, it wouldn't bother me.
While I do see where you're coming from, just remember that he's with you for a reason. It's a bit unrealistic to assume that guys don't look at other girls and think that they're hot, same for you. I would think it's safe to assume that there are times when you see other guys aside from your bf and think that they're good looking. It would hurt most people, though.
ZayKayWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 2:51 AM   #9
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,148
Is there any way to avoid it? Try keeping your mouth shut
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 3:07 AM   #10
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayKayWill View Post
While I do see where you're coming from, just remember that he's with you for a reason. It's a bit unrealistic to assume that guys don't look at other girls and think that they're hot, same for you. I would think it's safe to assume that there are times when you see other guys aside from your bf and think that they're good looking. It would hurt most people, though.
Oh, come on now. It's not exactly the brightest idea for a guy to comment on the hotness of his girlfriend's sister/best friend/close relation. Likewise, a woman should also have a little more decency than to tell her boyfriend how hot she thinks his brother or best buddy is.

Common courtesy should be enough to know when to keep certain thoughts to oneself regarding a partner's friend or family member.

It's not about jealousy - it's about respect.
ExpatInItaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 3:18 AM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayKayWill View Post
While I do see where you're coming from, just remember that he's with you for a reason. It's a bit unrealistic to assume that guys don't look at other girls and think that they're hot, same for you. I would think it's safe to assume that there are times when you see other guys aside from your bf and think that they're good looking. It would hurt most people, though.
Definitely unrealistic to assume guys don't find other girls hot. It is realistic, however, not expect someone not to mention it. Do you not have a filter?

I am not a jealous person at all. However, I am insecure but realistic. When I'm with someone, I know they're going to find other people but they are with me and being with me isn't purely physical. It's how you handle it. Mention celebrities are hot - fine. I used to work with an ex and we would talk about how so and so had great legs, or a great bum (and tell them hahaha). It was fine because it was true and he wasn't oggling or wishing he could be with them. If I guy I was seeing met my best friend and was all 'wow, she's hot', I would find that in bad taste and be uncomfortable. It's a fine line and difficult to tread but that is a little too close to home for me.
Tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 3:23 AM   #12
Established Member
 
elaine567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayKayWill View Post
While I do see where you're coming from, just remember that he's with you for a reason. It's a bit unrealistic to assume that guys don't look at other girls and think that they're hot, same for you. I would think it's safe to assume that there are times when you see other guys aside from your bf and think that they're good looking.
It would hurt most people, though.
That is why it is best to say nothing, why would you want to deliberately hurt the people you are supposed to love and care about?
There is no need to go through life being brutally honest and upsetting people right left and centre.
Everyone knows who the hot people are, there is no need to point them out unless of course you DO mean to hurt the person you are with.
There will always be the implication assumed that "They are hot, you are not so hot" so best just to keep that info to yourself.

Also who wants a gf/bf who is always checking out the competition?
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 10:06 AM   #13
Established Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,008
I definitely agree to keep your mouth shut in these situations but also keep a handkerchief handy to wipe the droll. It's telling.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 3:53 PM   #14
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine567 View Post
That is why it is best to say nothing, why would you want to deliberately hurt the people you are supposed to love and care about?
There is no need to go through life being brutally honest and upsetting people right left and centre.
Everyone knows who the hot people are, there is no need to point them out unless of course you DO mean to hurt the person you are with.
There will always be the implication assumed that "They are hot, you are not so hot" so best just to keep that info to yourself.

Also who wants a gf/bf who is always checking out the competition?
Yeah. That's fair.
ZayKayWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Girls More Jealous Than Guys? napy666 In Search Of... 1 13th August 2013 12:54 AM
Do guys try to make girls they like jealous? emilyxrose Friends and Lovers 1 21st May 2013 11:32 AM
Do guys try to make girls jealous? emilyxrose Dating 7 21st May 2013 10:42 AM
Girls:Is it common to keep #'s of guys you used to date? monkey00 Dating 33 3rd May 2013 8:10 PM
Why do girls try to make guys jealous Guest In Search Of... 3 25th July 2006 3:30 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:20 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.