The eye contact.. what is she trying to say?

There's a girl in my class who has been staring at me from time to time for quite a while. So a few days ago I was on my way to class. I was walking towards the door and noticed that she and her friend was also walking towards the classroom, but they came from the other corner (she was in front me at this point, like 10 meters away) We made eye contact for a few seconds and then I looked somewhere else. What happened next is that she was obviously stalling so I'd get closer to her before she would enter the classroom. When I was a few meters from the classroom, she was walking really slow and I could see in my peripheral vision that she was clearly looking at me, so I looked at her and we then had eye contact for like 2-3 seconds, before she turned her head really slow towards the classroom door.

As soon as we entered the classroom (like 2 seconds after the eye contact) she coughed once. I could tell it was a fake cough but it wasn't that obvious. So what could this possibly mean? I know there's no way to know for sure but does anyone have any idea? Bare in mind that when we had the eye contact, there was no one behind me. Just a wall basically so she was definitely looking at me. I don't think she was smiling though, she just looked me in the eyes. I catch her glancing and staring at me quite often too, but could she be one of those girls who stare at everyone and everything?

I get looks from girls quite often but I'm used to them looking away once I catch them looking at me. So I'm not really sure what's up with this girl.

Space Ritual

Well, apparently you don't look like Rocky Dennis in 'Mask", so that's a good start.

Why don't you just approach her and talk to her?

It's not rocket science.

I'm about to offer a radical solution. You might want to sit down, grab a pen and paper, write this down because it will change your life!! Mind you only a few people know of this technique and if you want girls this is a sure way of getting them to talk to you.

Are you ready?

Go and talk to her.

Mind blowing right!

... When I was a few meters from the classroom, she was walking really slow and I could see in my peripheral vision that she was clearly looking at me, so I looked at her and we then had eye contact for like 2-3 seconds, before she turned her head really slow towards the classroom door. ...

Eye contact is a good sign of interest. However, it has to more than 3 seconds. If you can hold it for longer than that, you have a reason to move in. Then you could, as others have suggested, try talking with her. Try some small talk (classes, assignments, extracurricular events) but you might be more comfortable doing it if you felt she was into you. The confidence coming from deep eye contact would be helpful to your success.

Edited by NeotericJack
  • Author
Well, apparently you don't look like Rocky Dennis in 'Mask", so that's a good start.

Why don't you just approach her and talk to her?

It's not rocket science.

We've been in the same class for quite a long time now, so it feels weird to approach her and talk to her, especially seeing as she is always with her friend.

I'm about to offer a radical solution. You might want to sit down, grab a pen and paper, write this down because it will change your life!! Mind you only a few people know of this technique and if you want girls this is a sure way of getting them to talk to you.

Are you ready?

Go and talk to her.

Mind blowing right!

Great solution there. :cool:

Eye contact is a good sign of interest. However, it has to more than 3 seconds. If you can hold it for longer than that, you have a reason to move in. Then you could, as others have suggested, try talking with her. Try some small talk (classes, assignments, extracurricular events) but you might be more comfortable doing it if you felt she was into you. The confidence coming from deep eye contact would be helpful to your success.

Well, don't you think it would be a bit weird to stare at someone for more than 3 seconds when you never talk to them? If this is not some sort of interest from her, then I don't know what she wants. Because she was making the eye contact very obvious. I can also see in my peripheral vision that she's glancing at me very often and then quickly looking away.

We've been in the same class for quite a long time now, so it feels weird to approach her and talk to her, especially seeing as she is always with her friend.

Great solution there. :cool:

Well, don't you think it would be a bit weird to stare at someone for more than 3 seconds when you never talk to them? If this is not some sort of interest from her, then I don't know what she wants. Because she was making the eye contact very obvious. I can also see in my peripheral vision that she's glancing at me very often and then quickly looking away.

Glancing is a good sign but eye contact of 3 seconds or less is just about normal for casual contacts. It has to be more to mean anything.

She's trying to let you know she wants you to come on to her. If you like her too, go over and talk to her. If you don't like her, try not to look in her direction and she'll get the message that you aren't interested.

• Author
She's trying to let you know she wants you to come on to her. If you like her too, go over and talk to her. If you don't like her, try not to look in her direction and she'll get the message that you aren't interested.

One thing which makes me hesitate about all this though, is the fact that I know that her friend likes me. Now what's the chance that they both like me? I personally believe that she likes me because all the signs are there, even though you can never be completely sure. Since I created this thread she's continued to show interest in school, by constantly glancing at me and some other things. We've also had eye contact a couple of times for a few seconds. And it was just me around so I know for sure that she was looking at me.

Anyway, they're both in my class so I'm not sure how to approach this. :laugh:

Seriously, only on the internet do you find this kind of stuff. It makes me think the current generation has no people contact whatsoever until they reach their 20's and then suddenly it's like discovering Nell. Are people really this clueless?

• Author
Seriously, only on the internet do you find this kind of stuff. It makes me think the current generation has no people contact whatsoever until they reach their 20's and then suddenly it's like discovering Nell. Are people really this clueless?

What's wrong with my questions?

What's wrong with my questions?
Hi, I'm new, but I've read your thread, and I can tell you what's wrong.

1) You're timid. Fortune belongs to the bold.

2) There is a danger in you pussyfooting around. At some point, women decide that you either don't like them enough, or you're not man enough when you don't respond to eye contact that happens repeatedly over several occasions. At this point, you run the risk of her going cold on you once you pay attention.

My advice is this:

If you get eye contact again, do not break it first. Let her do that. Start counting to 10, and not slow. One of two things will happen first, she'll break eye contact or you'll get to 10. Whichever it is, that's when you go up and introduce yourself. Say something like Hi, my name is HP and I couldn't help but notice you. Can I sit with you today?

Time to act like a guy.

One of two things will happen. It will go well, or it won't. Either way, you'll feel a lot better. Don't worry about the other girl. If you sit with the one, and they're always together, you'll meet the other one too. It really doesn't matter who likes who - let them sort that out.

Between now and the next class, I'd find something to invite her or them to. A party or something.

• Like 1

she is into you, if you are too shy to talk to her give her a handwritten note, just do it. you will regret it later.

just go for it! worst that can happen is she will tell you know, then u can just make a joke about it like "ooh how embarrassing im dropping out of school" or something like that

but 99% she will react positive since it seems she likes u