How common is it for some to "pretend" to not want to be in a relationship?

Personally I tend to do this a lot, mainly to protect myself and not seem so eager and/or desperate.

What I'm saying is that I will "pretend" that I'm having a great time being single and that I enjoy not being committed to any relationship. Even though I am actively looking for a relationship. I hope that makes sense.

I have indeed come across guys who have the same sort of analogy. I'm not too sure about a female perspective.

In one instance I met this girl, we instantly clicked and there was very obvious chemistry involved. We went out drinking and she was wondering how my "love life" was going. I let her know that I was very happy being single and enjoying myself without any attachment and she just went "yeah me too I know exactly what you mean".

Soon as we left the bar, she was holding my hand and resting her head on my shoulder lol!

Do many people "pretend" or what?

No.

Many people genuinely do think that way, and either maintain that attitude throughout - or then meet someone who really presses all their buttons, and with whom they want to steer a new course.

Never lie about what you want.

It's a foolish move, and in the end hurts only you.

ExpatInItaly

Maybe when I was younger, yes.

But I realized I was only shooting myself in the foot by pretending I didn't want a relationship, because that would send the wrong message to any guy I was actually interested in.

And in the past when guys told me the same thing, I generally stayed away. Deep down, I did want to be in a happy relationship.

When I was honest about what I was looking for, I attracted a like-minded man. No games. I knew we were on the same page. It's much less stressful that way.

• Like 1
Celestial-dreamer

I don't pretend. I know that I DON'T want a relationship, and it's serving me fine. I never lead anyone on, I don't dangle myself in front of people, tempting them then saying no. I am always honest and up front that I am NOT looking. I am very happy being single, have been for 10 years near. I do not do casual either.

You are just playing with people, your manipulating them. Not a good game plan TBH.

• Like 1
I let her know that I was very happy being single and enjoying myself without any attachment and she just went "yeah me too I know exactly what you mean".

Soon as we left the bar, she was holding my hand and resting her head on my shoulder lol!

You got lucky. 9/10 that line would have lost you the girl. I would answer that question by looking her in the eyes, smiling and saying "it's going pretty well right now".

• Like 1

Some people probably do this not to seem desperate or to play hard to get.

However, some people really are perfectly content with single life until that one person crosses their path and they connect.

• Like 1
Maybe when I was younger, yes.

But I realized I was only shooting myself in the foot by pretending I didn't want a relationship, because that would send the wrong message to any guy I was actually interested in.

And in the past when guys told me the same thing, I generally stayed away. Deep down, I did want to be in a happy relationship.

When I was honest about what I was looking for, I attracted a like-minded man. No games. I knew we were on the same page. It's much less stressful that way.

I don't pretend. I know that I DON'T want a relationship, and it's serving me fine. I never lead anyone on, I don't dangle myself in front of people, tempting them then saying no. I am always honest and up front that I am NOT looking. I am very happy being single, have been for 10 years near. I do not do casual either.

You are just playing with people, your manipulating them. Not a good game plan TBH.

Two people have figured out life. Best summed up as there is no need to play games. Playing games is another way of lying.

• Author

I think you didn't understand what I meant...

I "pretend" that I'm happy being single and whatever because I'm afraid of coming across as desperate and too eager if I say "I'm actively looking for a relationship". How on ****ing earth is that "manipulating"??

I would interpret it as "I dont want to be in a relationship with you".

I would think someone was brushing me off.

Personally I tend to do this a lot, mainly to protect myself and not seem so eager and/or desperate.

What I'm saying is that I will "pretend" that I'm having a great time being single and that I enjoy not being committed to any relationship. Even though I am actively looking for a relationship. I hope that makes sense.

I have indeed come across guys who have the same sort of analogy. I'm not too sure about a female perspective.

In one instance I met this girl, we instantly clicked and there was very obvious chemistry involved. We went out drinking and she was wondering how my "love life" was going.

I let her know that I was very happy being single and enjoying myself without any attachment and she just went "yeah me too I know exactly what you mean".

Do many people "pretend" or what?

So you're both liars! haha

I admit I have done it. When I met my current, I told him I was happy being single and not looking for a relationship, even though deep down I was.

I don't know why I said it....but hell he seemed to relax a bit and was more open after I said it.

Ironically, we had sex that night and the next night we went out ..... and soon after that we were in a relationship!

Go figure....LOL

toolforgrowth

I was legitimately happy being single. I was single for two years before meeting my GF.Didn't bother me one bit. I went out with friends, had some glorious sexual encounters, my time was my own and my money was my own. What's not to like about that?

I just don't base my happiness on my relationship status.

The difference with pretend is one knows they're lying to themselves. It's a feeling. When it's real, it's an amazing calm. Personally, if not for being married, I'd never have found that calm. I'd still be lying to myself.

I don't think it's that common to 'pretend', at least long term. Short term, sure. We all go through phases in life.