Why is bf acting secretive with his cell phone?

My college bf Robert of nearly 2 yrs has been lately acting secretive with his cell phone. For example if someone calls, he either quickly answers the call and briefly answers, saying ''I'll call back later''. I'm told it's work related projects. One time I wanted to see who was calling just out of curiosity and he got upset right away. Plus it's on private.

But thing is I got stood up practically the whole last month right on the 14th. Though we did go out on a date but it was like already nearly 10 pm.

Not sure if my hunch is right but something tells me he's been acting pretty weird lately.

Edited by Nabely
PegNosePete

He who has nothing to hide, hides nothing.

It seems he has plenty to hide.

I would dump him, or at least ask to see his phone including all messages etc. Don't let him "just go to the toilet" to delete evidence.

• Like 4

If it doesn't feel right, then it's not. I know you want to know, but there are times it's better to just breakup and move on.

• Like 2

If this is a change from past behavior then it's something to worry about. If he was always like this, why get bothered now?

• Like 1

Don't beat around the bush. Tell him that you think he's keeping a secret from you based on his nervous behavior with his phone, and you want to know what's going on.

If he can't fess up to what's going on, or give you access to his phone, I would dump him. This reeks of secrets and or cheating. You shouldn't have many secrets with your BF of 2 years.

• Like 2

He's cheating on you, if after 2 years together he refuses to give you access to his cellphone. Considering he reacted defensive when you asked to see his cellphone, well that's damning evidence right there that he's hiding his interactions with another woman from you. Happened to me, so that's why I think he's cheating on you with another woman.

When you are in a 2 year relationship with someone, you should be able to look at their cellphone, and not see anything suspicious. Healthy relationships have a degree of transparency to them, where cellphone and computer activity is concerned.

I think he's cheating on you. Ask to see his phone. If he refuses again, be honest with him that you think he's fooling around.

• Like 2
  • Author
He who has nothing to hide, hides nothing.

It seems he has plenty to hide.

I would dump him, or at least ask to see his phone including all messages etc. Don't let him "just go to the toilet" to delete evidence.

Agreed. He wasn't like this in the beginning.
  • Author

Writergal, yes I think so too. Now I'm convinced he nearly stood me up on Valentine's Day because he was cheating the whole day long. That's suppose to be such a special day.

If this is a change from past behavior then it's something to worry about. If he was always like this, why get bothered now?
Nope, he wasn't always like this. It's been about 4 months since he suddenly changed. Edited by Nabely

Aw Nabely, sorry but it doesn't look good that he gets defensive about his cellphone, that he nearly stood you up on Valentine's Day after being together for 2 years, and that his behavior changed dramatically 4 months ago.

Other than directly asking him if he's cheating (most men lie when confronted about cheating), I wonder how you can confirm your suspicions. His best friend? A sister or brother? Someone must know what he's been up to, that he's been hiding from you.

His sudden change is DEFINITELY suspicious.

I have a wonderful boyfriend and we both trust each other implicitly. I don't like people going through my things, and my boyfriend trusts me completely despite that. If he needed to use my phone, he could just take it out of my purse. I'm not hiding anything.

Some people are really private, but your boyfriend DEFINITELY sounds like he's cheating.

• Like 1
whichwayisup
Writergal, yes I think so too. Now I'm convinced he nearly stood me up on Valentine's Day because he was cheating the whole day long. That's suppose to be such a special day.

Nope, he wasn't always like this. It's been about 4 months since he suddenly changed.

Listen to your gut, it doesn't lie. You know something is off and he's hiding his phone, acting weird and things have been not right for 4 months. Investigate, pay attention to everything he does or doesn't do.

The thing is, what are you going to do about it? He's your boyfriend, so you're not obligated to stay and work it out. Is he husband material? Could you ever trust him again? Do you feel he's worth fighting for and he is worthy of a chance? OR would it be better to cut him loose now and not waste time on someone who is disrespecting you and doing things behind your back.

• Like 1

Tell him that his sudden change of behavior has you on high alert and that you suspect him of cheating and that your relationship is now over. Then end things and move on. You have all the reason and proof you need that he is not being transparent with you PLUS you still maintain the high road. Why put yourself through a meat grinder to keep someone who is obviously acting like he's hiding his involvement with another woman?

Your gut is telling you all you need to know. Trust it and proceed from there. Maintain the high road.

• Like 5

Yeah sorry OP but where there is smoke there is fire. Dump his a** already, you deserve better than this.

It doesn't matter male or female this behavior is the same & automatic red flag & grounds to end the relationship. It amazes me as well when you catch someone "red handed". Not necessarily evidence of cheating but if they try to flip the script and say oh why don't trust me? Why are you going through my phone? The funniest part about that was I actually didn't! Lol she was showing me something in her texts, as she exited I noticed something off. So I asked......

Here come the tears! Yeah you are crying cause you got caught & busted in a lie and there's proof of unacceptable behavior. F*cking amazing when they flip it & put the blame on the person that caught them. Automatic bye bye!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Author

Thank you all. Haven't been hear for a while due to studies and other issues. I have already broken up with him since last month.

• Like 2
Thank you all. Haven't been hear for a while due to studies and other issues. I have already broken up with him since last month.

yea he wasn't worth all the drama

• Like 2

I mean the cell phone wasn't even your big issue. The "I was stood up for most of last month" was, but that is moot now.