Ex and the other woman

My ex and I were basically together for a year but we haven't been together for the last 6 or 7 months. He got involved with another girl emotionally which is why it ended, but he said be felt bad and that he wasn't interested in the other girl. Things just didn't seem to get better from there. Since the break up we had been running into each other here and there but things were just not very good between us. However, during Thanksgiving, we were finally able to concluded things on a positive note after time had passed. He said he still had a weakness for me and regretted what he did but hopes that we can continue to be civil and that we can see each other again some day. I run into him a few weeks later and suddenly he turns cold. It definitely threw me off since I thought we were going to be civil to one another and then just on New Years Eve, I run into him again and see that he is officially with the girl that he cheated on me with even though she has a boyfriend from another state. Was he just trying to play with my emotions or what?

Lernaean_Hydra
It definitely threw me off since I thought we were going to be civil to one another and then just on New Years Eve, I run into him again and see that he is officially with the girl that he cheated on me with even though she has a boyfriend from another state. Was he just trying to play with my emotions or what?

Maybe. Or he was confused, bored or his pride needed to be reassured that you weren't still holding a grudge against him. However, after what he did and who he's with now, I honestly don't even know why you'd give him another moment's thought. Clearly nothing he says or does is meant to be taken seriously.

If he can get you to be civil or forgive him, then it alleviates any guilty feelings he may carry from cheating on you. He'll be able to tell himself it wasn't so bad or that it was "for the best" or some other irrational bs. He can say to himself, "See, she's happy and moving on and we're even friends. All is well that ends well."