I hate social media.

I wish that social media wasn't such a controlling factor is so many of today's relationships. It is a breeding ground for jealousy and insecurities in my opinion. If used correctly, it can reinforce love but it seems that so many people speak to each other through status updates. Am I the only one who feels social media has complicated relationships in the 21st century to an extent?

• Like 1

Facebook caused problems in my marriage due to pics, likes, etc. so I closed my account and haven't looked back since. Social media is so fake anyway. The people that post the most have the most depressing lives and are trying to cover up for that fact. Yeah, it's cool to see what everyone is up to that you haven't seen in years, but that fades pretty quickly with all of the lame updates in your feed everyday.

• Like 2

I deleted my Facebook account about a year ago, and I haven't regretted it one bit. There's a social engineering aspect of it that I think is unhealthy. You have a list of people called 'friends', but what are they really?

• Like 2
SycamoreCircle

Definitely contributed to the demise of my relationship. Fakebook is a catalog for bored women to go emotionally shopping.

Fakebook, Twitter, and Instagram are a silly theatre for people to reckon with the bottoming out of their own puny existence. Let me chronicle every second of my life. It's like tourists who are snapping so many photos of the Eiffel Tower or Borobudur or Angkor Wat, they never stop to actually look at the thing.

Society of the Spectacle.

• Like 2

I don't use, never have and no foreseeable plans to use in future. With that said though, there is technically nothing wrong with social media if used "correct" like you said, and that is really the essence of most problems. Someone may have a fantastic idea that if used right would benefit the world greatly. However there will always be those that misuse, exploit and turn beautiful things into a pile of smoking ruins.

We are all so incredibly different and have views that are equally so. This presents a dilemma where no real unified solution can ever be achieved. While it's of course unfortunate some people choose to use things in damaging ways, it's kind of good that we are not all the same. As with most things in life, if you don't like something or feel the negative things outweigh the positive, then ignore it.

I don't think it's fair though to insult people that do choose to use media, regardless if in fact they are using it to cover up their dull life, emotionally shop or whatever. Just because one or many people do the same doesn't make it a universal fact, but I do understand the things being expressed here.

Most media in general is heavily biased based on all kinds of things relevant to the location they are broadcast from. It's our own responsibility to filter out the things we don't enjoy instead of blaming them. With that said, I do very much agree that many technological advances in the past decade can be of great negative influence on most of the modern population, and in that regard it does have at least at times a very indirect impact on our lives.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with some family and old friends. In fact I've found family and friends on there. Facebook works better if you don't post your business all over it. And, delete the negative people off your page. It's what you make of it.

• Like 2

I agree, FB has it's bad points. I love being able to keep in contact with everyone, and it IS entertaining...but it is also an arena for all that you have said...bad things. And so much drama is kicked up from FB. One of my new year resolutions is to scale back on my time there and whittle away it's importance in my daily life. :)

I agree, with all the drama I have heard come from FB posts you'd think it was an unofficial dating site. I remember back when the big thing was "MySpace" and even then it was causing problems. It's like something about these sites makes people stupid, it makes them forget that perhaps their significant others might be reading the things they write and seeing the things they "like" etc.

loversquarrel

I am a facebook hater. It's never caused any problems in my life (that i'm aware of), but I just don't like being reminded at just how small the world has become over the past 20 years.

littleblackheart

If it wasn't for social media, I probably would have been none the wiser about my ex's infidelity so I owe Facebook an enormous amount - not sure if or how I'd found out without it so it probably saved me a few months / years of being manipulated and lied to. Other than that, I have no use for it myself, aside from research in my field of study.

Social media really is no more than you want it to be.

No, you're not alone at all. I feel the same way. I think if I ever fall in love again and get involved with someone else seriously, I won't go public on social media for, like, the first 6 months or so.

JohnMcClaine

I've never really had a problem with Facebook, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. If something like Facebook is causing issues in your relationship, it's not Facebook that you should be reconsidering.

• Like 2
I wish that social media wasn't such a controlling factor is so many of today's relationships. It is a breeding ground for jealousy and insecurities in my opinion. If used correctly, it can reinforce love but it seems that so many people speak to each other through status updates. Am I the only one who feels social media has complicated relationships in the 21st century to an extent?

I don't think so. It really does depend upon your intentions.

I use Facebook and Instagram to keep up with friends and follow my interests. Outside of sending birthday wishes, unless you're part of my family, I rarely post my thoughts on other people's walls. If you post something funny, I will send a "like", but generally, that's all.

Also, unless I know you, I don't grant friend requests and I do get a ton of those, for whatever reason. Could be that I don't have malicious people in my life, so I've not experienced complications in my relationships.

Then again, I'm in my mid 50's, so I'm not experiencing the same thing a 20-something would be experiencing.

I agree, I can't stand derpbook and stuff. It has caused so much drama in my relationships over the years. I don't even really post stuff on my personal page, just my page for business. God I hate derpbook.