Should I be Worried?

CollegeGuy20

Hello all! I recently started a similar thread on the general Dating forum, but I thought that the regulars of the CFJ sub-forum would be able to contribute to this as well.

My girlfriend and I are both soon-to-be sophomores in undergraduate university, and we've been going out for almost two years. The other day she told me that she really wants to join a sorority, but was afraid to tell me before now. I like to think of myself as a good boyfriend, so I supported her decision to gain some new friends and independence. She has, under my encouragement, now registered to take part in a rush week. If you know anything about national sororities, she's looking at joining Tri-Delta.

However, I am not ignorant of the stereotypes that circle around sororities/ Greek life on campus (we go to a fairly party-oriented state university). While I'm sure that the image of promiscuous, alcoholic sorority sisters is not true in every case, I do worry a bit about what she'll be getting into. I know that many sororities have private mixers with other fraternities, and that the temptation to cheat will, inevitably, present itself. She has stated that she doesn't want to participate in the party culture of sororities, but I think she will eventually give in. The whole point of her joining a sorority is to gain friends, and if she's not participating, she won't be getting many. I guess my question is this: are my worries well-founded? What, in your experiences, do you know about sorority/ Greek life as far as stable relationships go? Is it possible that she will be subjected to peer pressure to break up with me? Thanks in advance for your answers!

I wouldn't worry about it. I was in a fraternity and it didn't lead to anything promiscuous. And it was definitely an "Animal House" type fraternity.

I dont think sororities want to have any "reputation" either. They dont set up mixers to hook up and be whores or anything.

Dont sweat it bro :)

My girlfriend joined a sorority after we became exclusive and she is now my wife. She did not go to any of the frat parties, and I went to most of her sorority parties and this was never an issue with her friends.

Well, I never entertained the idea of joining the "greek" life while I was in college. Because, it was never an interest of mine. Second, didn't have time for all that hazing nonsense. And three, at my University, guys that were in Frats were a bunch of arrogant asshat's.

Although, I will admit. Girls that were in sororities were pretty nice and they didn't think that they were superior to others just because they were in a sorority.

My point is, through my experience, guys turned into douche rockets and girls pretty much remained the same. Obviously, every University is going to be different, so I would just watch her and see if there are any obvious changes going on with her.