Why do I feel so empty and full of self hate?

I recently broke up with my partner who I'd been with for 3 years. I hadn't been happy for a long while and I just found that my feelings were not just changing but also dying. I hate this, I really do. People say it's so hard to move on, but I've been coping so well with this break up that I just have this huge swarm of guilt over me all the time. I loved him so much, I didn't want anyone else and couldn't imagine being with anyone else when we first got together but that changed and I just found myself thinking of ways I'd like to get out of it and what life would be like if I left him and now it's here I just feel like ****. I'm scared, I'm scared of myself and how these feelings that were so strong before can just die over time. How can I be like a good person when my heart doesn't feel what it once did? How can you just lose those feelings for someone and be okay with it in the end and just move on? It's sad, it's tragic and I'm starting to think that I'm not the person I thought I was...I feel selfish and I feel cruel.

Philosoraptor

It doesn't make you a bad person to follow how you feel. It's not your job to sacrifice for someone else either. You truly did the best thing by admitting that the feelings were no longer there and gave this person a chance to move on sooner than later.

Everyone has these crazy emotions at the start, but only through time can you tell if this is the sort of commitment that will last forever or if was just based on high emotion.