The Progression of an Emotional Affair

I've been wondering - when it comes to the emotional affair, is there a common set of "stages" that these things go through not unlike how a relationship has phases? IF so, how would you paint each "stage" - and the progression of an emotional affair?

I do hope this question made sense - heh - I am not always good at articulating my thoughts. :mad:

nescafe1982

I know the time I was on the receiving end of this (with the EX), there was a stage when he allowed another woman in his life to be the "confidant;" you know, the person he asked for advice about our relationship.

Of course, she used this position to manipulate him. And, well, he let her. I think there are plenty of situations where a person could solicit relationship advice from friends of the opposite sex... but this the also often the guise under which an emotional (or even a sexual) affair begins.

As for the rest: beats me. When you find the answers, let me know.

• Author
I know the time I was on the receiving end of this (with the EX), there was a stage when he allowed another woman in his life to be the "confidant;" you know, the person he asked for advice about our relationship.

Of course, she used this position to manipulate him. And, well, he let her. I think there are plenty of situations where a person could solicit relationship advice from friends of the opposite sex... but this the also often the guise under which an emotional (or even a sexual) affair begins.

As for the rest: beats me. When you find the answers, let me know.

I mean, we have phases of a relationship, a breakup, you'd think somebody would be interested in the phases and stages of an emotional affair and would have figured it out [how they start, the specific stages, the possible branches - of how they either stick together or fall apart over time particularly after the honeymoon phase, and how THAT specifically can carry out, etc... heh.

Edited by travelonic