LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating > Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy

Can cheating be worked out if caught in the act?


Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy Being unfaithful to your significant other or suspect them of the same? Can't stand the way they flirt? Jealous? Discuss your experiences here.

Like Tree1Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2012, 9:23 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Can cheating be worked out if caught in the act?

It's not about me but my older sister who got caught in the act. To my surprise, her bf didn't hurt the other dude but just yelled some words, cried in front of her and walked away.

This happened about 4 months ago and from what I've heard, he's considering working it out but needs help how recover from what he saw that day. What really makes it worst is the OM (other man) was really a friend of his, not best friend but still and they were both drunk. Please don't label my sister. She isn't a bad person but she just made a terrible choice.

BTW this is the first time she has ever cheated on a man. Currently both of them are talking (well he reopened communication with her last month and he does still loves her, wants to take her back but also wants to get rid of that image that day... he needs help how to recover) and yes she stopped all contact with his friend. She's trying to work this out. Any suggestion on how to help her out?

Honestly, I think this is easier to work out when this happens to a woman than a man. Generally for us, knowing that a man still loves the other woman is worst than the actual act but for men it's the other way around.

Last edited by TruffulaTrees; 19th November 2012 at 9:34 AM..
TruffulaTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 9:45 AM   #2
Established Member
 
mammasita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: East Coast - USA
Posts: 3,506
I don’t know if that’s even remotely possible.......I couldn’t ever forget an image like that and I’m sure it’s 100x harder for a man to remove an image like that from his memory.

That's pretty much the ultimate betrayal and IMO is unforgivable.
__________________
No Contact Guide
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasita View Post
I donít know if thatís even remotely possible.......I couldnít ever forget an image like that and Iím sure itís 100x harder for a man to remove an image like that from his memory.
That's true. I don't think I would be able to work that out if that happened to me. I can't imagine what the guy must be going through now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasita View Post
That's pretty much the ultimate betrayal and IMO is unforgivable.
But will IC (individual counseling) help out in this case. That's all I can think about for her.

Needless to say I feel sad for the guy. He still has her on his facebook and hasn't really told anyone about it.
TruffulaTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 3:59 PM   #4
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,679
People say anything is possible but the chance of him getting this image out of his mind is zero. If he is considering trying to reconcile it is simply his insecurity and fear of being alone that is driving him. He doesn't have the strength or self-esteem necessary to walk away from your sister so she needs to do it for him. She needs to understand that he may pretend to accept her shameless betrayal now, but he will hate her forever and will walk away someday. There's no reason to continue to hurt him and going no-contact with him is the kindest thing she could possibly do for him.
drifter777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 4:27 PM   #5
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,926
I would always advise a young guy that had her GF cheat to be thankful he is young, no kids, separate finances, not married, easy to make a clean break and he should.

I have seen too many BH come back to say their WW is having an affair again. Just like she did when we were dating before we were married.

Your sister needs IC to learn about boundaries and how to have healthy relationships.

Her BF needs IC as well to see the real reason he won't dump your sister. There can be good reasons to recover with your sis. I'm afraid her BF may want to go back with her for the wrong reasons.
road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter777 View Post
He doesn't have the strength or self-esteem necessary to walk away from your sister so she needs to do it for him.
Well he did initially broke it off that day and didn't wanted to hear anything she had to say but resumed contact with her last month (I guess it's good that he's giving her a chance to explain).

My sister shared with me this recent message he send out:

xxxxxx,
It's another struggling day for me at my workplace and home. While this is between us and no one knows what you've put me through, some have already commented on my sudden mood changes and lost of appetite. You do realize if my mother ever found out about this she would hate you and I don't want that happening. She is already suspecting and even questioned me about it. I had to make up that we took a break for the meantime. I know, I know, I'm still protecting you even after what you did. It's because I love you still. I don't want them to hate you. I can forgive well I have else I would have unfriended you on my facebook and rip our pictures. I haven't and won't. The hardest part for me is trying not to think about my vision of you and him going all the way. It keeps on repeating. Why did you chose him? Why you let him get between us? I'm I not the love of your life as you would say I was? Why do you this to me? I've been drunk many times but never cheated on you. I can give you another chance but you have to help me get over what I saw and show me I'm the one and only.

I'm already tired. Gonna hit the sack now. Meet me tomorrow by the campus. Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter777 View Post
She needs to understand that he may pretend to accept her shameless betrayal now, but he will hate her forever and will walk away someday. There's no reason to continue to hurt him and going no-contact with him is the kindest thing she could possibly do for him.
I agree (if only more people thought this way it would be better) but it's whatever they decide.

Last edited by LoveShack.org Moderator; 20th November 2012 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: removed name
TruffulaTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 12:48 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
This is what my sister is going to send out in response:

xxxxxx I'm so sorry for my actions, I'm sorry for hurting you so badly, I never meant to and would never do anything like that again. I know being drunk was not an excuse. If I could go back in time I would have never allowed your friend to make a move on me. This is something I have to live with and knowing I'm the cause of your hurt. I promise I'll be the best gf ever. I'll make you happy again. I'm sooooo sorry.
TruffulaTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 2:05 PM   #8
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,319
The hard facts? Stats show that most relationships that one or the other actually catches their SO in THE ACT of cheating rarely work out for the long run. That image is burned into his mind and will never go away.

Personally, I think the guy has very low self esteem and one day, he's going to gain some back. When that happens, the games over.
Chi townD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 2:13 PM   #9
Established Member
 
GorillaTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruffulaTrees View Post
If I could go back in time I would have never allowed your friend to make a move on me.
Even if I was inclined to somehow try to reconcile, that statement would make me change my mind and move on.

Talk about blameshifting. It wasn't her fault for saying "yes", it was this other guy's fault for asking. I'd be done with them both. Permanently.
GorillaTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 4:29 PM   #10
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaTheater View Post
Even if I was inclined to somehow try to reconcile, that statement would make me change my mind and move on.

Talk about blameshifting. It wasn't her fault for saying "yes", it was this other guy's fault for asking. I'd be done with them both. Permanently.

I don't see her statement matching your implication.
road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruffulaTrees View Post
This is what my sister is going to send out in response:

xxxxxx I'm so sorry for my actions, I'm sorry for hurting you so badly, I never meant to and would never do anything like that again. I know being drunk was not an excuse. If I could go back in time I would have never allowed your friend to make a move on me. This is something I have to live with and knowing I'm the cause of your hurt. I promise I'll be the best gf ever. I'll make you happy again. I'm sooooo sorry.
Did she send it? Reading this makes me sad. This poor guy is desperate to hear the words she is saying, and she is lying. She did it because it was exciting, fun, and it felt good. She's cheated before and she'll cheat again. Confront her on this really hard and she just might admit it to you. She'll swear she is a changed woman now, but you will know better.


Let's be real here. Trying to reconcile after cheating is something only married couples with children should attempt. The whole process is painful and simply not worth it for a couple without kids. Reconciliation should not even be an option if they aren't married.

Ask your sister to please break it off with the poor guy. The longer he keeps hanging on the more pain he endures. She needs to do the right thing and let him move on.
drifter777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 4:52 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi townD View Post
Personally, I think the guy has very low self esteem and one day, he's going to gain some back. When that happens, the games over.
Or can it be that he's a good guy afterall?

Ironically, this is a guy who has an Bachelor's degree in business administration. Usually the higher your level of education is, the less likely youīll put up with it.
TruffulaTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 5:02 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter777 View Post
Did she send it? Reading this makes me sad. This poor guy is desperate to hear the words she is saying, and she is lying. She did it because it was exciting, fun, and it felt good. She's cheated before and she'll cheat again. Confront her on this really hard and she just might admit it to you. She'll swear she is a changed woman now, but you will know better.
Yes, she send it. As horrible as it was what she did, I do believe she is deeply remorseful about it. When it happened that day, she came crying to me about how she lost him for good and how it was the biggest mistake in her life. I do know that during that short NC time, when he iniatially refused to speak to her.. she wasn't dating any guy and stopped going to parties completely. I think she is honest and really feels terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter777 View Post
Ask your sister to please break it off with the poor guy. The longer he keeps hanging on the more pain he endures. She needs to do the right thing and let him move on.
True but somehow they want to try to work it out. They left a couple hours ago.
TruffulaTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 6:03 PM   #14
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruffulaTrees View Post
Or can it be that he's a good guy afterall?

Ironically, this is a guy who has an Bachelor's degree in business administration. Usually the higher your level of education is, the less likely youīll put up with it.
When my girlfriend cheated on me, I didn't have a college degree and I ended it. Now, I have a PhD and I still would have kicked her to the curb. So, I don't think that a persons educational status has anything to do with it. People have what they consider there "deal breakers". Cheating on me was mine. And I'm not a nice guy. I'm a SUPER nice guy!!!
Chi townD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 7:15 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi townD View Post
When my girlfriend cheated on me, I didn't have a college degree and I ended it. Now, I have a PhD and I still would have kicked her to the curb. So, I don't think that a persons educational status has anything to do with it. People have what they consider there "deal breakers". Cheating on me was mine. And I'm not a nice guy. I'm a SUPER nice guy!!!
Glad to hear you didn't look back.

Update: Seems like the guy really wants her. Yesterday they hang out for hours and by the time he returned her home it was around 11 PM. Today she's at his place.

I hope that if he does takes her back, she keeps her promise and doesn't do it again (afterall, she's been beating herself over this so much and how much she wishes to get second chance to the point it was annoying seeing her cry every day).
TruffulaTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caught him with his ex gf (cheating on me) nena12 Dating 14 9th May 2012 4:16 AM
I caught him cheating HurtinBama Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy 3 2nd June 2010 2:01 AM
Caught him cheating.... jamtree Cheating, Flirting, and Jealousy 18 9th April 2009 7:41 AM
Caught Cheating Ptrick Dating 13 11th July 2008 3:15 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.