Poll - Appropriate conversation with the opposite sex

I asked this question in another thread but figured it was worthy of its own, so what do you all think....

would you say any terms of endearment (babe, doll, sweetheart, lovebug, etc...) are innapropriate to exchange between somebody of the opposite sex when in a committed relationship?

Desensitized

I would say so, yes. I had this happen to me earlier today. One of my "friends" called me babe, sexy, etc. today. She has a boyfriend... lol.

I think it really depends.

For instance, I have quite a few married friends and I am very close to both spouses. Conversations between the wives and myself can be very flirty/sexual, etc. But all parties involved (including the husbands) full understand that it is meant jokingly and no one would ever step over boundaries that would make anyone uncomfortable.

However, if someone in a comitted relationship said "hey baby" to a random person...that may be a bit overboard.

Do you watch Big Bang Theory? The blonde on that show calls everyone "sweetie."

A lot of us use pet-names for folks and I wouldn't take it too seriously depending on the context...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
chucksagent

This might not make sense...but I have decided to me it depends on the person. Some people call EVERYONE "honey" or "sweetheart." In which case, if you make a big deal, you may look like a jerk. HOWEVER, if it's a guy who calls NOONE baby, and is calling your girlfriend babe, I would get up in his face about it ASAP.

casanovadude81

I would say it depends on the context. "Hey sexy" being said to another guy if you are a straight guy for instance could just be a joke. Obviously even if you're just playing aound with some one of the oposite sex you may give people the wrong idea even if it is inocent.