Last year, I got a little caught up in the moment and made a big mistake of cheating on my girlfriend. I had to be up front to my girlfriend about it, so i told her, and we broke up a few days later. Now, a year later, we have started talking a little bit and hung out a few times. She told me that relationships are built off of trust, and that she doesn't think that she could trust me again to be her boyfriend. I really like this girl, and want to prove to her that I am a good person that made a mistake, and can get her back someway. What do I tell her and what can i do to help her gain trust back towards me?

TaraMaiden

I know it sounds like a dumb question, but when you told her, did you show remorse?

did you ask for forgiveness?

Did you apologise and admit it was a really dumb@ss thing to do?

Were you truly sorry you had done it, or did you just tell her to get it off your chest and bring it out into the open?

Really, I'm asking....it depends on this.....

OldOnTheInside

Build a time machine...

For a more serious answer, there is little you can do but articulate your thoughts, talk to her, tell her what you think and feel, and hope that she is understanding.

If she does give you an opportunity, take it ASAP.

Cards are in her hands though, don't act surprised if she turns you down. It's a very realistic possibility at this point.

From somebody that has been in your gf's position and has been forgiving, cheating can affect a relationship years down the line.

You can just be there as a friend and hope she falls back in love with you. I wouldn't say the chances are good if the smoke has cleared a year later and that is her conclusion.