Why you should never give second chances.

If someone cheats on you, they wilfully expose you to fatal STDs like HIV, and incurable ones like genital warts (which can cause cancer) and herpes, that condoms can't protect against very well. What kind of person would do that to someone who loves and trusts them? A sociopath, or someone so caught up in the fog of sexual passion that they temporarily lose all rational thought and moral considerations. Unless you want to be in a relationship with a sociopath, or with someone who effectively becomes one whenever their groins are wet/hard, then it makes no sense to stick around.

Someone who has cheated once on a serious love partner, can cheat again. Actions speak louder than words.

You look a complete fool to everyone who knows about the affair/betrayal - and you are always the last to know, and gossip spreads faster than you think. If one of my friends gets cheated on, and doesn't dump the cheater, I lose a bit of respect for them. No one respects a doormat.

Your cheating partner will always have a part of them that laughs and looks down on you for being cuckolded and then putting up with it like a wuss. They will know they got away with it once, so maybe they can get away with it again. If you reward them for cheating, by letting them stay, then you encourage further bad behaviour.

People who commit to a relationship generally only cheat because they are either not monogamous by nature, or because they no longer have passionate love for you. A naturally promiscuous person is not a good choice of mate if you are monogamous. And someone who no longer feels passion for you is also not a good partner.

The stats on cheaters and people who have affairs are bad. 50% of marriages end in divorce. Out of the remaining 50% that stick around, how many are unhappy, lacking in passion, and have seen one or both people stray?

Finally, there are plenty of people more attractive, more interesting, better in bed, more ethical and more loyal than your cheating partner. Dump the cheater and go out and find your real soul mate, not this deceitful betrayer who stomped all over your heart.

Never give second chances. Giving a second chance is the triumph of hope over experience, of blind faith over reason. In fairytales it might work. In the real world, sober analysis and realistic thinking are what gets results. Never give a cheater a second chance.

Agreed. Second chances are for Hollywood.

If they did it once (whether to you or someone else), watch out. They don't respect you or your feelings, and they never will. It's all about them.

Even if they apologize and come crying back.... run like hell. Very few people can forgive a cheater, and the relationship will never be the same.

I'm sure a few optimists out there might disagree. And there are very, very rare cases where people got back together and lived happily after (again, mostly in Hollywood).

Roadlesstaken

Great post and I wholly agree. Even when I was very lonely after my ex husband left, I never would have taken him back because I knew that I deserved better.

Some people can change, it is EXTREMELY rare but can happen. I'll admit though that I lost a lil respect for my ex when he took me back after I cheated on him, but if we'd gotten back together I would've never done it again. But then again to some we weren't really in a relationship since I cheated before we met in person, so guess that's sort of up for debate.