I'm a love martyr...

To provide background for anyone who hasn't read or doesn't remember my previous post: I just found out on Friday that my gf of 5 months has been cheating on me for 2. I contacted the other guy when I found out and after proving I was who I said I was, he believed my story and was crushed by the news.

I started feeling a little guilty because this guy obviously had much deeper feelings for this girl than I did even though his relationship with her started later than mine. Both of us, up until this last weekend, thought we were exclusive with her. I started thinking that if I just walked away without saying anything to him, his illusion of this perfect girl would still be intact and it would save him some heartache. But I would also want someone filling me in if I were in his shoes, which was my main reason for letting him know the full story.

I'm done with this girl without question, but this other guy is either too naive or too in love--or both--to do the same. He sent me an email yesterday thanking me profusely for looking out for him so I replied that I was glad he didn't hold it against me and wished him luck with this girl. Personally I think he's living in a fantasy world but it's his decision.

So I take a little comfort knowing that my pain isn't for naught in that I helped out a fellow guy in the violent waters of love. I also finally talked to my now ex-gf this morning and got a lot of things off my chest and got some much needed closure. I feel more relieved now.

So it's back into the crazy world of single life I march once again...

I'd say you're doing pretty well. All of your feelings are normal... lots of people would be too wrapped up in their own anger to even consider the pain they bring when they have to be the bearer of bad news. I, too, think you did the right thing. You may even have done your ex a favor. If she's not stupid, she may realize she screwed up and not repeat her mistake.

I hope you recover soon and find someone wonderful!

Full marks..

You have done it the right way.

Honest, to the point, respectful, understanding.

Now I think about it...those are golden qualities that many girls who are not likely to cheat on you will admire greatly.

I wish you well, you'll be fine.

Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

you do a good deed and hopefully someone will one day do one for u.

That was terrific. I wish everyone thought like you did in this situation.

I also think you were lucky that the other guy didn't take what you said the wrong way and get angry.

When i was dating a guy that started to see someone else while with me i stopped the relationship. Months later he is still seeing the other girl and supposedly without seeing anyone else. I doubt i will ever tell her that he was seeing me first and possibly both of us at the same time because she doesn't think very highly of me because i was with him before.

:-S