illness affecting my relationship

mattea

i've been sick now with some kind of stomach problems for most of the past 2 1/2 months. the doctor thinks it's acid reflux (i'm unconvinced - medicine not really working, symptoms different).

this illness is really affecting my life and of course my relationship. my boyfriend is so sweet and tries hard to be supportive but sometimes being in a relatoinship just feels like more pressure. there are a lot of things i miss doing in my life (exercise, social stuff, classes i want to take, preparing for future), but i often feel too ill to do much of anything. i really miss exercising but my stomach problems are worsened when i try. i feel lethargic and like i'm putting on weight. i'm normally a pretty active person.

my boyfriend frequently does mellow things just with me because he knows i feel sick. i often feel unable to commit to things i'd really like to do and many times have to skip doing things (like b-day parties or drinks with friends) at the last minute because i just don't feel well enough. he's a wonderful person and is totally understanding when about this. sometimes he just goes without me and sometimes he just lays low with me. i couldn't ask for anything more from him but it still sucks!

i just want my life back! i feel bored and boring and lame and sometimes it feels like it is harder because i'm also affecting his life too. i hate complaining all the time, but when he asks how my stomach is it's always the same old thing and i'm not going to deny it.

i don't really know what my question is.... i feel trapped by physical elements out of my control and i don't think there is some "solution". but if anybody has advice or has been through a similar situation and can empathize.....

silentcharon
i've been sick now with some kind of stomach problems for most of the past 2 1/2 months. the doctor thinks it's acid reflux (i'm unconvinced - medicine not really working, symptoms different).

this illness is really affecting my life and of course my relationship. my boyfriend is so sweet and tries hard to be supportive but sometimes being in a relatoinship just feels like more pressure. there are a lot of things i miss doing in my life (exercise, social stuff, classes i want to take, preparing for future), but i often feel too ill to do much of anything. i really miss exercising but my stomach problems are worsened when i try. i feel lethargic and like i'm putting on weight. i'm normally a pretty active person.

my boyfriend frequently does mellow things just with me because he knows i feel sick. i often feel unable to commit to things i'd really like to do and many times have to skip doing things (like b-day parties or drinks with friends) at the last minute because i just don't feel well enough. he's a wonderful person and is totally understanding when about this. sometimes he just goes without me and sometimes he just lays low with me. i couldn't ask for anything more from him but it still sucks!

i just want my life back! i feel bored and boring and lame and sometimes it feels like it is harder because i'm also affecting his life too. i hate complaining all the time, but when he asks how my stomach is it's always the same old thing and i'm not going to deny it.

i don't really know what my question is.... i feel trapped by physical elements out of my control and i don't think there is some "solution". but if anybody has advice or has been through a similar situation and can empathize.....

I don't have much of advice for you, I am going through the same thing right now. Even though I am not that sick yet, I constantly have to look after myself so I don't over do things. If I over exert myself, I tire out pretty quickly and end up in bed for a couple of days. This has been affecting my social life so far, even though everyone else has been very understanding and supportive, I can't help but feel that I am affecting everyone else's life.

Even my job- sometimes I have to call in sick, and I feel really guilty when I do. My boss has been very understanding so far, but then, just how understanding will my boss be for how long?

Same thing with every one else, how long will people be understanding/supportive? I think that may be what is affecting you- you're worried about how you can't do things as much as you used to, and you're afraid your boyfriend will get tired of it soon. I don't think there's much we can do about it if it does happen.

Kinda like having friends drift away, there's not much you can do about it, it just happens. I just try not to let my fears get the best of myself, and you shouldn't either. I hope I make sense! lol...

whichwayisup

Keep telling your boyfriend how appreciative you are of his patience and how much you love him, how lucky you are to have him around...Make him feel good...

Go to the DR and get more tests done.