Date cancelled at the last minute ... Not sure what to think.

BenefitOfTheDoubt

BenefitOfTheDoubt

Same ol' story ...

Our first date was last Wednesday, and it went very well. The conversation was great, lots of laughing, and appropriate first date affection at the close of the evening -- he put his hand in the small of my back to steady me as I walked down the stairs of the restaurant where we'd met, asked to see me again, and gave me two bigs hugs and kisses on my cheek as we said goodbye.

He called the Friday afterwards to say hello and to talk about going out again. We didn't set anything in stone, but he said he'd call Monday when we both knew our schedules for the week ahead a little better. He did call on Monday, and we agreed that we'd go out Saturday and that he'd call me on Thursday to firm up our plans. Thursday rolls around, he calls, we make our plan, and he says he'll touch base Saturday afternoon before our date. And sure enough, around 3:30p.m., the phone rings, and it's him. We chat for a couple minutes, everything's very friendly and comfortable, and we're on for the evening ...

Till the phone rings again 2 hours later, and it's him sounding very rushed, apologizing that he had to take care of a "family matter" and had to cancel our date. He's out of town all next week (leaving tomorrow) for work, but he said he'd call me from out of town "if I still wanted to talk to him." I told him I was disappointed, but what are you going to do. He apologized again, said he'd call next week, and that was really that. My phone shows the length of call when I hang up, and it was literally just under a minute.

So at this point, I know I'll have my answer soon enough, and it's just a matter of waiting ... but patience isn't my strongest suit. Blah. Any thoughts out there?

um i dont see a problem here really, he canceled b/c he had a family problem...thats actually acceptable... imo family is more important then a 2nd date with a girl. If he does call you while he is out then obviously he likes you enough, and there is nothing to be worried about.

you're taking this way too seriously...is this like the first time you've ever gone out with someone??

• Author
BenefitOfTheDoubt
you're taking this way too seriously...is this like the first time you've ever gone out with someone??

:p Heh. Hardly. I'm glad my "problem" strikes you as a bit silly though. I certainly hope you're right, and that I am over-reacting. That would be very happy news for me!

My concern certainly is not that a family matter would take precedence over a date -- I'm just not sure that I trust him that it was in fact a family matter. I'm the first to admit that I've got some trust problems, and something about it just gave me a weird vibe ... the "if you still want to talk to me thing" and that ... just seemed like a weird thing to say.

As I said, I hope I'm just disappointed and overanalzying things!

I dated a guy one time that kept cancelling our dates at the last minute. Like an hour before the date or thirty minutes before the date etc. His excuse was I lost my keys, I had a argument on the phone with my dad so I am upset and don't feel like going out, or I had a fight on the phone with my ex-wife and I just don't think I would be any fun to be with.

He kept doing this until I never knew whether we would actually go out or not. I was sick of it. Turns out, he was a committment phobe.

well just simply wait it out, if it becomesa routine thing that he keeps cancelling last minute then drop him like its hot eh?

but anyways i dont think its a real problem and just give the "benefit of the doubt."