Are we still in 7th grade? WTF?

The attendant

The attendant

I reluctantly agreed to serve as a bridesmaid (and I sure ended up serving!) for an old college friend. The maid of honor was another of the old gang who has remained closer to her over the years.

The best man proved to be a catch. And as our mothers keep reminding us, we're not getting any younger or prettier. So the MOH was all over him like butter on toast. Seriously, if she was not literally twirling her hair around her finger while biting her lip and giggling, she came pretty damned close. At the end of the evening, she crowed about having given him her number.

So I was surprised when the BM called *me* a couple of days later and asked me out for coffee. "You're sure you didn't mean to call the other one?" I laughed. "I'm very sure," he said. He explained that he'd accepted the MOH's number to be polite but she wasn't his type. As for me... "I figured if you looked that nice in strapless burgundy, imagine how hot you'd be wearing something you picked out yourself." After a suave move like that, how could I say no?

When word got back to the MOH that he and I were dating, she cursed me out like a crack whore being hustled into a squad car. She "saw him first", I knew he'd taken her number, she "liked him more", and (this is my favorite) she was the maid of honor!

When people abuse me over the phone, I just hang up on them - so that's what I did. But just in case I'm letting my BM-jones cloud my judgment: am I missing something here? Have I bought a one-way ticket to Skankville? Or does the MOH need to start working the online dating services a little harder and leave me the **** alone?

It's pointless calling dibs on someone who won't go along. Had he dated her first or at all, that might have been dicey but since he wasn't interested in her, he's allowed to make his own decisions like the big boy he is. MOH can't squawk - she'd never have gotten the call anyway.

clandestinidad

WOW...MOH needs to grow the f0(k up! Feeling like shes entitled to the BM b/c of her temporary title?!? jeeez Apparently she's not too comfortable throwing herself at someone and getting rejected...she must have been jealous of you before this ever happened anyway

Youre fine...nothing to worry about. Dont let her ridiculousness ruin any happiness you have...BEST WISHES w/ your guy!!!!

You should have said, "Don't be jealous honey" before you slammed down the phone.

SHE gave HIM the number- he never asked for it. That means he's free to date you should he choose. I mean seriously, if he were really into her, he could have called her and asked for a date as well.

I agree with Outcast. If she'd dated him then this would be borderline but as it is you do not owe her an explanation for your personal life.

The MOH sounds like a total psycho. Sounds like the BM had HIS head on straight! You're not doing anything wrong. Give it a little while longer, and she'll calm down.

You're not at fault here. The MOH is just jealous. You must have been eyeing him up though and slipped him your number too if he called you... ;)

The attendant
You must have been eyeing him up though and slipped him your number too if he called you... ;)

Fair question. :-) He actually got my number from the bride's mother at the post-wedding breakfast. I'm sure she was delighted to contribute to finding a husband for one of her daughter's single friends. She probably had it memorized from having called it so often to tell me the latest thing Bridezilla needed me to do.