LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

in keeping the last name

Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

Old 27th September 2005, 3:34 PM   #1

in keeping the last name

my bf's ex-wife still keeps his last name. they've been divorced for many years now (they have a child together) and she has since gotten remarried. but i really find this odd... is it normal? or am i overreacting?
mila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 3:39 PM   #2
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mila
my bf's ex-wife still keeps his last name. they've been divorced for many years now (they have a child together) and she has since gotten remarried. but i really find this odd... is it normal? or am i overreacting?
She wants to have the same surname as her child. That's pretty damned normal -- a kid might feel rejected if her/his mom chose to abandon their shared name in favour of her new husband's.
fusangite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 3:41 PM   #3
Established Member

Normal .. She must've kept the name so her child had the same name..
Makes for a better adjusted child

No it doesn't mean anything .. By the way it also is her name.. She doesn't have to give it back..

She will ALWAY'S have the last name.. even if someone gets rid of it they still are legally known as the other person as well..They can longer sign legal documents but once a name alway's a name
Old 27th September 2005, 3:41 PM   #4
Established Member

Its pretty normal, you shouldn't worry. My mom still has my dad's last name & they've been divorsed for 18 years now. She is now in a happy relationship w/ my stepdad for about 15yrs, they just never got married & it doesn't bother him that she keeps my dads last name.

"Where's your will to be weird?"- Jim Morrison

"When the doors of perception are clensed, things will appear as they truely are. " - William Blake

"I am the Lizard King, I can do Anything"-Jim Morrison
Teag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 3:47 PM   #5

oh okay.. thanks guys for clearing that out... i was just a little confused as i don't really know anybody in my family (both sides) who's ever been divorced (knock on woods!!!).....
mila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 4:40 PM   #6

Hi Mila,

I have been divorced (happily) for 7 years. I have an 8 year old daughter and just like someone above said...I kept my husbands last name so that my daughter and I would have the same. One day when I remarry I will change it, but for now it is important that my daughter is not confused