No Guns on Bumble

SevenCity

I was swiping away and got a profile on Bumble for one of their "ads". It stated that Bumble is now removing profiles with photos of firearms to foster "customer safety". They encouraged users to report any profiles which contained firearms. You will apparently get a pass if you are uniform.

Are singles so afraid now that a picture of a guy or girl with their gun puts them in danger?

I would have thought shirtless bathroom selfies would have had more opposition...or Trump supporters.

This would be about Bumble's company reputation and philosophy. It's not about the users being frightened of people with guns. It's also worth remembering that Bumble has a worldwide presence and needs to appeal to international users.

If people don't like the company's approach, they can use a different app. Simple.

• Like 9

It's like rejecting people. The more often one does it themselves, the less this kind of stuff matters. Think of it as a war with no weapons of death and no one dies. Embrace it. A new world.

Just like LoveShack, these sites are private so can set any policy they choose for users who are otherwise anonymous.

While posting this I'm watching the live coverage of the Saccone vs Lamb election in PA and the channel I watch is getting bombarded with black screens from YouTube. It's been going on forever. Their channel has also largely been demonitized, similar to the gun channels on YouTube. It's YouTube's sandbox; they can do whatever they want. Don't like it? Leave.

It's like rejecting people.

Nobody is being rejected.

Facebook (last I knew) has a 'no breastfeeding photo' policy. They aren't rejecting women who breastfeed, they are just rejecting the photos of boobs. Lots of women don't like the policy, but they just live with the rule and don't post photos which are likely to be banned.

Likewise, Bumble aren't rejecting gun users. Just photos containing guns.

• Like 2

The OP stated Bumble is removing profiles. If that isn't rejection well OK, let's get super creative with that college education :D

• Like 1
RecentChange

That is what the OP said, but it appears that he misunderstood the company policy, or used incorrect verbiage.

According to what I can find, Bumble isn't removing profiles over this, but rather images with fire arms:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/6/17084540/bumble-gun-profile-photos-ban-military

The OP stated Bumble is removing profiles. If that isn't rejection well OK, let's get super creative with that college education :D

Rejection is when a person has no choice in being cast aside.

In this case, we're talking about deleting a profile of members who choose to flout the rules. If you have the choice of following rules and being allowed to stay, then it's not rejection to be thrown out for ignoring rules.

• Like 2

Members who persist in violating company policy will be removed ;)

Essentially, no guns or no ads. That's how it works in practice.

On YouTube, they're simply locking channels. No access.

I would expect this to proliferate as people become more dependent upon electronic and social information portals. They designed it that way. No surprise to me anyway.

• Like 1
Rejection is when a person has no choice in being cast aside.

In this case, we're talking about deleting a profile of members who choose to flout the rules. If you have the choice of following rules and being allowed to stay, then it's not rejection to be thrown out for ignoring rules.

Oh, yeah, now it's the word parsing. Rejection, removal, banning, yup, it's all different. Haha, I've played this game with so many for so long, the politics of it are so obvious. It's called social shunning. Old as the hills.

• Like 1
Oh, yeah, now it's the word parsing. Rejection, removal, banning, yup, it's all different. Haha, I've played this game with so many for so long, the politics of it are so obvious. It's called social shunning. Old as the hills.

I got banned from an old forum a few times. I wasn't socially shunned. Rather, I broke TOS when I knew better and deserved what I got. Some people really need to toughen up and learn about the connection between behaviour and consequence.

• Like 5
  • Author
That is what the OP said, but it appears that he misunderstood the company policy, or used incorrect verbiage.

According to what I can find, Bumble isn't removing profiles over this, but rather images with fire arms:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/6/17084540/bumble-gun-profile-photos-ban-military

Good find - I didn't have time to research it.

Yet, they did mention "safety" in the ad. I still fail to see how a picture of a gun makes you "unsafe".

Moreover, I'm at least 100x more likely to swipe on a pic of a woman with a gun (rare in my parts) as it communicates a compatibility. Outside of my liberal state this will likely have more of an impact.

I totally agree it's their company to run as they see fit. Doesn't mean it's not their way of implementing censorship.

• Like 2
RecentChange

Sure.... Their sand box their rules.

I am sure there are plenty of other outlets where one can display their weapons, Bumble doesn't want to be that place.

As far as censorship, I am sure the nudist don't like that they do not allow naked pictures, or a business owner doesn't like that they aren't allowed to promote their business.

If you don't like the censorship on this site - you are certainly free to leave.

I don't like it that LS doesn't let me curse like a sailor, or be a big ol' meanie.... But their sandbox, so I play by their rules if I want to stay.

The beauty is, you have freedom of choice. You don't have to obey by their rules, you can simply not use their app.

If there is market for such things, perhaps the NRA can sponsor a dating site for gun enthusiast.

• Like 1

Well, I am a political conservative. That said I think Bumble has the right to ban pictures of people with guns if they (the company) does not feel comfortable with said pictures on their site. And they do not have to give a reason that satisfies everyone, that they feel it goes against their values is good enough.

I find myself thinking that BOTH conservatives and liberals need to develop thicker skin and not be offended by stuff (not saying you in particular were offended OP), but I digress.

• Like 6

I remember when 'colored bathrooms' were a policy too. ;)

I respect the company's right to be as discriminatory and discriminating as they choose under the law. Gun owners who like displaying their weapons or are shown using them are not a protected class. Jessie Duff, or any similar professional shooter, would have a hard time showing off what she does as a profession on Bumble. That's OK. They are free to censor content they choose to and reject people whom don't fit their image of what the site promotes. Guns are apparently 'bad'. OK, cool.

• Like 1
RecentChange

And strippers are discriminated against for not being able to display their profession :lmao:

Like I said, don't like it, build your own sandbox.

Gun ownership and display is a choice. Skin color is not. I do not see this as akin to denying people access to public facilities based upon traits one is born with.

• Like 1

I have guns and strongly believe in the right to bear arms. That being said, I don't have a problem with private websites banning pictures of people brandishing firearms. In light of all of the psychopaths shooting up schools, theaters, etc., I think it's in poor taste to pose with guns, and could be misconstrued as hostile and threatening.

• Like 7
  • Author
I have guns and strongly believe in the right to bear arms. That being said, I don't have a problem with private websites banning pictures of people brandishing firearms. In light of all of the psychopaths shooting up schools, theaters, etc., I think it's in poor taste to pose with guns, and could be misconstrued as hostile and threatening.

Like I said, they can do whatever they want.

But I'm not offended by guns in a pic. Just like I'm not offended by a car in the pic despite that they kill far more people.

Like I said, they can do whatever they want.

But I'm not offended by guns in a pic. Just like I'm not offended by a car in the pic despite that they kill far more people.

Generally speaking, the amount of drivers who use their cars to deliberately kill people would be far less than those who deliberately kill people with guns. There are also much stricter licensing rules around driving a car. It's not a fair comparison.

Don't need to pass a background check to buy a car. In fact, no matter how many accidents you have with the said car, you can still buy another.

I can only speak for Australia....

If you are at fault in too many accidents, then you can't get the minimum amount of insurance and/or you will lose your license. Yes, you can buy a car, but you can't legally drive it. Getting caught driving illegally has pretty big consequences.

Edited to add; if your background is being "old" then we have mandatory testing on a regular basis.

Edited by basil67

I respect Bumble’s right to make whatever policies that they want.

But I think that not allowing pictures of people with firearms makes their dating site less transparent, and therefore less valuable. As a previous poster said... if he sees a picture of a woman with a gun, he is more likely to message her because they have a common interest. Likewise, if I see a profile with a picture of a guy with an AR-15, I would probably be far less interested in him. Not that I think there is anything wrong with having an AR-15, but if that is what you choose to put on your dating profile, it sends a message and to me it says “Nope. Not compatible.” And it has nothing to do with gun rights or anything. I own a rifle and 2 pistols myself. But your dating profile is carefully curated, so if somebody is like “look at me with my big rifle” I kinda know he’s not the guy for me.

So, I’m not a Bumble user, but this has made it more likely I will never be a Bumble user. More information is better when you are dating strangers.

• Like 3
TheFinalWord
I was swiping away and got a profile on Bumble for one of their "ads". It stated that Bumble is now removing profiles with photos of firearms to foster "customer safety". They encouraged users to report any profiles which contained firearms. You will apparently get a pass if you are uniform.

Could they also ban duck face and animal filters?

• Like 4
TheFinalWord
I respect Bumble’s right to make whatever policies that they want.

But I think that not allowing pictures of people with firearms makes their dating site less transparent, and therefore less valuable. As a previous poster said... if he sees a picture of a woman with a gun, he is more likely to message her because they have a common interest. Likewise, if I see a profile with a picture of a guy with an AR-15, I would probably be far less interested in him. Not that I think there is anything wrong with having an AR-15, but if that is what you choose to put on your dating profile, it sends a message and to me it says “Nope. Not compatible.” And it has nothing to do with gun rights or anything. I own a rifle and 2 pistols myself. But your dating profile is carefully curated, so if somebody is like “look at me with my big rifle” I kinda know he’s not the guy for me.

So, I’m not a Bumble user, but this has made it more likely I will never be a Bumble user. More information is better when you are dating strangers.

Yeah, pretty silly overall. But the website does seem to have more of a "safety first" angle to it. For example, allowing the woman to initiate the first contact once a match has been confirmed.

Personally, I've found the business version of Bumble more useful than the dating component.