Preferences regarding haircuts

heavenonearth

heavenonearth

General question:

If your partner had a preference regarding what kind of hair they'd like on you, would you consider getting that particular haircut?

Example: My boyfriend's preference on me would be a bob cut - every now and then he makes comments on how it would look great on me. He also emphasizes he loves my hair the way it is now (rather long), but still, it is clear he has a preference.

Personally, I do not like myself with a bob haircut, which is why I will leave it long for now.

What would you do?

Would you listen to your partner's preferences and adjust your haircut accordingly, or would you just not give a fork? :p

My boyfriend likes long hair... I find that my hairstyle is most flattering when it is cut to shoulder length. It's shoulder length.

• Like 1
PrincessPeach

Early in a relationship, no way!

After a while I will sometimes wear my hair in a way that I know he likes, and even will ask him about it occasionally before going out. But I won't cut it for him. I might eventually consider growing my hair longer if he wanted that, but cut it shorter than I wanted myself?! Goodness no!

• Like 1

My hubby likes my hair long and blonde, but I don't have any desire to do all the maintenance it requires. So, I wear it very short, choppy and dyed red.

• Author
heavenonearth
No.........................................and then tell him to stuff it.

That's a bit harsh, innit?

RecentChange

Hum, to an extent.

I wouldn't do a pixie cut on request, I just do not like the way short hair looks on me.

Besides "not too short!" I don't have a strong preference on how I cut my hair. My husband likes it shoulder length and I am happy to keep it there. If he wanted it longer, I would probably keep it a bit longer.

If he wanted me to get rid of my bangs (they are kinda my signature, I have had them since I was a child) - I wouldn't do it.

Conversely, I can't stand long hair on guys or long beards, and prefer a well maintained cut (while, my husband, if it were up to him would grow out his hair and beard like a mountain man). So, he keeps his hair more maintained, and his beard trimmed to keep me happy :)

That's a bit harsh, innit?

I think that depends entirely on how pushy he was being.

• Author
heavenonearth
I think that depends entirely on how pushy he was being.

Well, my boyfriend is not pushy, quite the contrary, he always says he loves my hair, but it is clear his preference is bob cut, because he often mentions how good it would look on me.

Conversely, I can't stand long hair on guys or long beards, and prefer a well maintained cut (while, my husband, if it were up to him would grow out his hair and beard like a mountain man). So, he keeps his hair more maintained, and his beard trimmed to keep me happy :)

That's funny you mention that, because when I met my boyfriend he had very short hair (about 7mm) and a 4 day stubble. I told him I think it would be fun to let it grow - he hasn't cut his hair or beard since. He looks like a mountain man now, indeed. When people ask him "How does your girlfriend feel about the beard/hair", he always answers "It was her idea!"... Glad he's happy with it tho --- but I think here I AM the pushy one ("Don't you dare cut that beard!"). :p

I guess it can go both ways.

• Like 2

My hair is below my shoulders, each time I go for a haircut my BF makes sure to tell me to not cut too much. I scared him last fall when I got home with my hair cut above my shoulders.

I don't care if my hair are below or above shoulders so I keep them longer to please him. If he would like a short & layered haircut it would be a definitive no. I trust if he liked short-short hair he would have picked to date one and not me.

BarbedFenceRider

My wife likes my hair clippered and short. But hey, I'm just thrilled I still have some hair! lol

As for the missus, she cut her hair to right above the shoulders after the birth of my son. Then it has grown out again. As we get older, I would like to see a shorter cut. Not quite the bob though... Her face is too roundish. It would be like an old dora the explorer look. ROFL!

I just hate that it takes FOREVER for her to get the hair done in the mornings. And it is annoying that when we are on the couch, i move and suddenly, I'm pulling her hair or its stuck on my clothing...Painful for her, pain in the ass for me.

• Like 2

I wouldn't cut my hair short for anybody. So funny you say that. There's an old rock star who tries to get all his women bobbed. Just ruins their looks. Must be from a past life. Maybe he thinks he was F. Scott Fitzgerald in the 20s.

• Like 1
Well, my boyfriend is not pushy, quite the contrary, he always says he loves my hair, but it is clear his preference is bob cut, because he often mentions how good it would look on me.

Is that you in your Avatar? If yes then I don't know what your boyfriend is thinking..that long hair is way better than a bob cut!

Personally I love my girlfriend's long hair, but I have a thing for long hair shaved on one side, like Cassie if you google her. I did mention it to her but I don't think she is up for shaving a side off :laugh:

• Author
heavenonearth
Is that you in your Avatar? If yes then I don't know what your boyfriend is thinking..that long hair is way better than a bob cut!

Personally I love my girlfriend's long hair, but I have a thing for long hair shaved on one side, like Cassie if you google her. I did mention it to her but I don't think she is up for shaving a side off :laugh:

That’s funny - when i was 11 i shaved half my head to impress a guy.

It made my hair very thin once it grew back.

I regret it deeply.

hippychick3

My bf has never asked me to or suggested I change my hair. But if he asked me to cut my long hair into a bob, I would definitely try it. Anything shorter than that, though, I would not. I know I don’t look good with very short hair.

No I would not listen to him.

Fortunately I have very long hair and all my boyfriends have loved it.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I'd be wondering which old crush or girlfriend of his had that hair. Not that many guys are into "bobs." Make sure it's not like his mom's hair.

todreaminblue

yes and i have cut my hair and asked for certain hairstyles.....i dotn like styles i have to spend hours upkeeping.....i dont have that time left on this planet to waste it on perfecting a high maintenance do.....i got a spiral perm in summer once ...(on request from my bf)..and i spent a whole day getting it done basically my hair was bum length...and when it was finished ....about an hour later when i got home.... i dove into my salt water pool..... i was hanging all day to go swimming.....sigh.....end of spiral perm hello afro....another time on request from an ex i changed my hair back to blond because i had died it black and he said now you really are a goth witch.....my .hair went pink...and i became known as pinkie to all my friends....

another time i got a perm when i was teen on request from my maths teacher he said i cant see you through your hair....i don't know if you are awake or not... he would lift my fringe to talk to me.....so i thought ok im getting a hair cut ....and i went to the hairdresser and he said deb can i let the apprentice do this perm on you she really needs to practice she is really good...blah blah...deb has a poodle head..really tight curls that traumatised me....nowhere to hide ....with a poodle head........maths teacher loved it....

the thing with hair .....is ti grows back and when that poodle head relaxed into really soft curls and messy waves and tendrils because i have heavy hair and that perm framed my face ....i felt ...beautiful....and confident

i would get my hair cut for my guy...i have had bobs...or keep it long.....but the only thing i would never do with my hair ...is shave it all off...i have scars on my head.....and i would feel like an ugly cracked boiled egg head..i wouldnt go out in public.......if a guy asked me to shave off my hair......it would actually really upset me that he would ask that of me.....a bob would not be a problem as long as it was a long bob...and not a little lord fauntleroy bob half way up my face......i have had had short hair ...i had a step at the back once and it looked really pretty...made em feel feminine...i dont want however to look like a man.......deb

• Like 1

I have let my beard grow and my hair become long and curly because my fiancée wanted me to. I prefer about a 4 day stubble and short hair.

• Like 3

Stubble look is hard to maintain. I can grow it in three days from a clean shave, looks good. However I can't reproduce it without lines.

A bob is a big step. I say leave your hair like it is, because if you don't like the Bob look, it'll take a while to grow your hair back.

Ruby Slippers

I'd probably try a variation of what he requested, like a longer bob or something aesthetically pleasing to me.

I generally love it when my man lets his hair get a little longer and wilder, and they almost always accommodate my preferences :love:

• Like 1
TheFinalWord

There's a pretty popular saying that a woman's pride is in her hair.

If you're cutting (or even considering it) your hair a particular way for a guy, you must really like him!!

I used to have really long hair. My GF at the time would get mad at me for just cutting off the split ends. haha

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1
  • Author
heavenonearth
I'd be wondering which old crush or girlfriend of his had that hair. Not that many guys are into "bobs." Make sure it's not like his mom's hair.

Haha no his mom’s hair is long and crazy.

Does he like a short bob or a long one?

I have rarely came across a man preferring short hair on a woman.

• Like 1