Sit across from or next to your date?

max3732

I've been doing some research on dating etiquette and I've come across a few places that say to sit next to your date so you can be closer. This isn't something I'd ever considered and think it would be kind of awkward. Don't you normally sit across?

On an early date I'd feel quite constrained if my date climbed into the same booth bench seat with me rather than siting across.

If you are at a table for 2 (small rectangle) the dishes are usually placed at the far ends.

If you are at a table for 4, it's OK to sit next to the person, sort of at a 90 degree angle, rather than far away / across.

• Like 4

If they put you at a table for 4, sit adjacent like d0nnovain said. Not only is it more romantic, it allows you to hear them better (and gives you a better layout to attack all the food you want).

• Like 1

I went on a couple of dates and she wanted to sit on the same side..I ended it due to neck pain from trying to have a conversation. :D Waaayy easier to talk facing someone than beside them. I also hate the people who think I can hear them when they're walking 3' behind me. I must talk to my therapist about these hangups. :lmao:

It really depends on lots of factors - how close you two are, the seating arrangement, type of restaurant etc. Also, personal preference. Personally, the SO and I usually sit next to each other in casual places with booths, opposite each other in more formal 2 person tables, and perpendicular in 4 person tables.

Ah, dating geometry. :D

If the place is noisy, sitting close together helps you hear the other person. Also depends on how well you know each other. I recently had a first date that didn't go well partly (I think) because we were sitting side by side at the bar (no tables available). We couldn't see each other's face, eyes, and I felt disconnected. Almost like talking on the phone. He seemed pushy and insensitive, totally different from the person I thought he was. But if I had been able to see a gentle smile from him I would have felt differently.

I've been doing some research on dating etiquette and I've come across a few places that say to sit next to your date so you can be closer. This isn't something I'd ever considered and think it would be kind of awkward. Don't you normally sit across?

Ooooh sitting NEXT to your date is so much more fun especially later in the evening when nobody can see what's going on under the table :D

If one on one, then definitely across. You can actually make eye contact and conversation is far easier. Sitting next to your date does make you closer, but when you're eating you're not able to see each other.

• Author

Thanks for the tips everyone. As this is a first date I'll sit across from her, which is what I'm used to and should make me more comfortable.

• Like 1