Nearly a two month relationship

anxiety_aerial

anxiety_aerial

Hello everyone, recently I started dating this girl that I met at my pilot studying for IT.

She is great in overall, but she says she has autism. Sometimes I honestly don't know how to deal with her in a way to not offend her or make her feel like she has no space. I'm a good guy, likes affection, wishes to love her someday but even this is a question, I wouldn't know when to bring it up.

It's a stupid explanation, but does anybody have some tips to maintain this relationship between me and her, despite her having autism and to not make her feel pressured or so.

Get to know her step by step. You will get to know her and her condition by spending time with her. There are many many different degrees of Autism and only her can explain what exactly are her limits.

• Like 1
  • Author
anxiety_aerial
Get to know her step by step. You will get to know her and her condition by spending time with her. There are many many different degrees of Autism and only her can explain what exactly are her limits.

Thanks for the reply, she just has an issue with reading between the lines. So I'm pretty much guiding her sometimes. Hmm.. Her social skills might be a little bit underdeveloped, so I'm willing to give it time for her to develop more trust and for her to feel more comfortable around me.

Social skills will be one of the key issues with someone who is autistic - and like you say "reading between the lines" Most people who are autistic think more black and white so that is where you will need to be patient -you may need to explain how you feel rather than show her sometimes. As you continue to get to know her you'll begin to understand her and her issues and "quirks" better just like she will get to know you better and understand you better. There will always be some issues but if she's the one for you then you'll both be able to work through them. My son who is on the spectrum just got married this past summer because he and his now wife worked through lots of issues ahead of time and she understands his abilities and what he struggles with. It doesn't mean it will always be easy because no relationship is but understanding does make it easier!