He asked for gas money

Val230

I planned to go on a date with this guy I recently met tomorrow. Tonight he texted me telling me how he wants to see me. But he told me that he was broke at the moment and needed $20. (I live 10-15 mins away from him) so, I was shocked. I know not everyone would agree but isn’t it kinda weird for him to ask? I mean, especially on the first date. Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

Yup. That would worry me. Not so much that he doesn't have money, but that he wasn't resourceful enough to find another way to handle it or didn't realize how inappropriate and offputting that is.

• Like 2
Scarlett.O'hara

My advice would be the same for male or female. If someone asks you for money to go on a date with them, cancel the date.

• Like 13
My advice would be the same for male or female. If someone asks you for money to go on a date with them' date=' cancel the date.[/quote']

why cancel?

LivingWaterPlease

Way weird! Don't think I'd even respond to that request. If i did respond, though, I'd keep it short. Such as, "I don't think it's a good idea for me to provide gas for your car." Or even, "I don't think it's a good idea." Or, "I don't think so." Or, "No." Or, "Nah." Or, "Lol!" Or, ":lmao:."

• Like 2
Way weird! Don't think I'd even respond to that request. If i did respond, though, I'd keep it short. Such as, "I don't think it's a good idea for me to provide gas for your car." Or even, "I don't think it's a good idea." Or, "I don't think so." Or, "No." Or, "Nah." Or, "Lol!" Or, ":lmao:."

How about

'Oh, snap!'?

• Like 3

Val230,

I hope you cancelled the date.

If he lives 15/20 mins away surely he could walk to somewhere midway to meet you?

If he can't afford gas for his car how can he afford to take you out?

I smell a user here...

• Like 4

If he uses your $20 for gas, how will he afford the rest of the date? Red flag. Cancel. Go on a date with a guy who can orchestrate a date properly, 99% can.

Edited by girlinNYC
typo
  • Like 2

$20 bucks of gas is enough for him to drive on several dates even dates with other women. If he cannot figure out how to get to your first date then he isn't smart or resourceful enough to be on a date with you. Cancel.

• Like 5
  • Author
I hope you cancelled it. This is ridiculous. What was the date going to be?

He never even told me what we’re going to do on the date. Before he asked for the gas money I asked him what he planned for us to do. He said he didn’t know and that we could just “chill and get to know each other.”

He never even told me what we’re going to do on the date. Before he asked for the gas money I asked him what he planned for us to do. He said he didn’t know and that we could just “chill and get to know each other.”

Ah, yes. The old 'chill date'. You'll pay for the condoms too, I guess.

Put him on ignore.

• Like 16
  • Author
Does this guy have a job? Does he have his own place? Is he in College or still live with parents?

From what he’s told me, he has a job. He’s not in school at the moment. I don’t think he lives with his parents though, I think he has a place with some roommates.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Definitely cancel this date unless you're ok with financing this date and all future dates. Also, how did he propose you get this money to him? Paypal?

• Like 3
I planned to go on a date with this guy I recently met tomorrow. Tonight he texted me telling me how he wants to see me. But he told me that he was broke at the moment and needed $20. (I live 10-15 mins away from him) so, I was shocked. I know not everyone would agree but isn’t it kinda weird for him to ask? I mean, especially on the first date. Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this.

Yes. Not only weird, but highly inappropriate. Would he go up to a strange male and ask him for $20? Why is it OK to do that with you? You're a stranger to him, too.

That would turn me off and I'd block him.

• Like 2
From what he’s told me, he has a job. He’s not in school at the moment. I don’t think he lives with his parents though, I think he has a place with some roommates.

Don't start by setting the bar so low for yourself.

Move on from this one.

• Like 6

OP--have you met this guy in person yet, or has all your conversation taken place on phone apps/texts?

Just cancel. If he asked you out, it's up to him to take care of the expenses. And now you already know you aren't interested, so just cancel and block him. Or just block him. He'll know why. Then he can come on here and complain about golddiggers. Hah. He's pulling this on a first date so he's a jerk, number one, and possibly or possibly not broke, number two. Who needs it?

• Like 4
  • Author
OP--have you met this guy in person yet, or has all your conversation taken place on phone apps/texts?

I haven’t met him in person yet. All our convos have been on the phone.

I haven’t met him in person yet. All our convos have been on the phone.

That's even worse. It's borderline catfish/scammer rhetoric. I seriously doubt he even lives in the country--you can use google to manufacture a local telephone number to hide where you're really at.

• Like 2