LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

Birthday

Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2018, 7:21 PM   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
Lol They’re not that expensive!!! It’s her birthday. They’re pretty. What’s she going to with a card from a virtual stranger anyway? That’s not a romantic gesture, it’s more FZ and sort of desperate at that

& if she agreed to a bday date with op she has no one better to spend it with, no diss to op, that could be good for him
What is "FZ"??

I don't know about cala lilies, but I like to take flowers to whom ever I'm dating, each time I pick them up for a date, unless they like something else. What woman doesn't like fresh flowers in her home??

I had one home where wild lilies would grow, they were bright yellow. I would take those to dates, as well.

I even took flowers to a "booty call" one time and the woman loved them. She never expected them and was thrilled by the gesture. I think it made her feel special.
Old 8th February 2018, 7:26 PM   #17
Established Member

Friend zone lol.

And that sounds really nice! Flowers aren’t a grand gesture where I’m from, just nice. I agree on picking out the ones best suited for you/her��
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 7:29 PM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Friend zone lol.
Oh... OK. Thanks, Cookies.
Happy Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 7:33 PM   #19
Established Member

If your "first date" was just meeting, then this is the first date.
In this case, just dinner and dessert is enough.

If you've known each other a while and/or the chemistry is off the charts, you could get her a little gift.
Personally I think flowers are boring and sometimes awkward to receive if you're not into someone.
You can't go wrong with edible gifts though.
olivetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 7:34 PM   #20
Established Member

Around here lilies are about $5 per stem . . . very expensive. For a 2nd date, I'd go with a $20 mixed bouquet from a bodega if you are going to do flowers at all. I still think the woman will be overwhelmed & possibly scared off. A card which cost way less & is easily disposable is less intense IMO.

OP you know her. We don't. Just don't go grand; it's too soon.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 8:06 PM   #21
Established Member

I'd stick with wishing her a happy birthday, and letting the waitstaff know ahead of time and unbeknownst to her that you're celebrating her bday. Most restaurants will serve a complementary dessert with a candle in it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 8:22 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I'd stick with wishing her a happy birthday, and letting the waitstaff know ahead of time and unbeknownst to her that you're celebrating her bday. Most restaurants will serve a complementary dessert with a candle in it.
Oh my goodness. I LOATHE that with a passion. To this day, my parents find it entertaining to torment me by getting the attention of the restaurant staff etc. focused on me on my bday

I think this thread is just proof there are as many right answers as there are opinions on this one xD
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 8:35 PM   #23
Established Member

Cookiesanddough

I know what you mean about the restaurant staff. I hate all the clapping, the bad singing & basically being made a spectacle of. Just yuck.

What I was talking about was one dessert, with one candle, brought to the table by one server who places it unobtrusively in front of OP's date so that he can quietly wish her a happy birthday & invite to make a wish then blow out the candle. Hopefully they can then share the desert. Romantic -- a small acknowledgement of her birthday & absolutely no unwanted attention drawn to them.

OP if you opt for the dessert route make it clear you don't want the clapping nonsense. I have gone so far as to tell wait staff that if they sing, clap or carry on they get no tip but if they do it my way, unobtrusively, they will be rewarded
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 8:37 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight192 View Post
Hi,

I'm gonna have my second date with that girl, and that day is her birthday. We are going to the restaurant. So i'll offer her the meal, but shall I also get her something or not as it is only the second time we see each others ?

Thanks for your help.
offer her the birthday card and that's it...
Old 8th February 2018, 8:41 PM   #25
Established Member

I'm with the ones who say only a card and a piece of cake or desert with candle in it, and tell them NOT to sing at the table or any of that embarrassing stuff. Nothing more. What if you find out she tells every date it's her birthday to get stuff or something. Just a card and you'd have bought dessert anyway.
Old 8th February 2018, 9:17 PM   #26
Established Member

I think some flowers would be nice, or if you know she's into something, a little toy or trinket, decoration. Like for me, I love Beanie Babies, and something I could put on my desk at work would be awesome. Don't break the bank, but I think a nice yet inexpensive Bday gift would be sweet.
act00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 9:29 PM   #27
Established Member

Two month's in to my last dating experience, it was her birthday. It was middle of the week, so I offered to take her out for her b-day. She said her fam. is taking her out. The day of, she said she wanted to spend it with me, but I already had plans with my family. She also turned me down first, that is why I made other plans. No biggie, but not going to cancel plans which I've already made. Anyways, I got her a card (which I mailed to her so she'd have it on her b-day), chocolates and a teddy bear and put it in a nice b-day box. She really liked it, but after that, it seemed I became friendzoned and sex was off the table. I ended it two weeks later as she had a tantrum.

I've learned that less is more nowadays. Whatever you want to do, do the opposite. For some reason, I am told it works more in your favor. It sucks, but it is what it is. Just remember, no good deed goes unpunished. Just a fact of life.

Last edited by jimbo; 8th February 2018 at 9:31 PM..
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 12:43 AM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Oh my goodness. I LOATHE that with a passion. To this day, my parents find it entertaining to torment me by getting the attention of the restaurant staff etc. focused on me on my bday

I think this thread is just proof there are as many right answers as there are opinions on this one xD

No, no, no! Not like that with all the singing and clapping! lol

When OP said restaurant, I assumed he meant something nicer than a casual Mexican chain.

I should have asked OP to clarify what kind of restaurant he was taking the bday girl to - casual or fine dining.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote