LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

Ladies, would you date someone whos much younger than you?

Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th February 2018, 4:21 PM   #16
Established Member

I sure wouldn't have a problem with it if I was single. I'm a cougar I will admit that lol.

You are a fool if you believe that having each others passwords = trust.
smackie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 7:29 PM   #17
Established Member

The only thing I see is how much I like them as a person. If they can make me laugh, how well we get along. Life is too short, and age is just a number. So be with someone who you truly want and whatever makes you happy.
Old 8th February 2018, 7:42 PM   #18
Established Member

not for anything long-term, or a whole generation apart
darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 8:01 PM   #19
Established Member

It's for some people, but not me. I am into older men
vanhalenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 8:07 PM   #20

As long as theyre legally of age and mature then no i see no problem with it. Id actually prefer. Younger guy for some reason. Ive dated several
Huhjtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 8:08 PM   #21
Established Member

I always (!) dated younger guys.

When I was 22 I dated a 21 year old.
When I was 24 I dated a 19 year old.
When I was 25 I dated a 23 year old.
When I was 26 I dated a 21 year old.
When I was 28 I dated a 21 year old.

All of them were sweet in their own way and we had good times, but also all of them at some point decided that they didn't want to commit and still date around some more.

Then I started dating older. I am now 30 and my boyfriend is 38. This is by far the most healthy relationship I have ever been in, and the most reassuring and trustworthy partner I ever had.

The anxiety I developed over the years of being abandoned by men 'eventually' is still there, and it stems from the fact that I always dated younger guys who didn't really want to commit.

This is why I have this stereotype of young guys (below 27, I'd say), that they are not going to be long term material, basically. You can have fun with them but you should not bet on them. This is how it was for me and this is my anecdotal evidence.

But I know exceptions exist.

My boyfriend's brother is 32 and has been with his girlfriend, 45, for five years already. They are one of the cutest, sweetest, most lovable couples I have ever met.

It really depends on the person.
If you meet a 40 year old woman tomorrow, and you two genuinely fall in love, and you can envision the rest of your life with her, why not?

While I do think that a lot of older women enjoy the company of younger men, I also think most of them do not view younger men as long term relationship material.

I feel that if you fall for an older woman, you really will have to prove yourself to be worthy as a long term partner. It's unfair, but I think there just exists a certain stereotype.

Sorry for writing so much, but I have a lot to say about this because I know it from my own experience.

That being said, I do think that once both people are older (for example guy is 30 and woman is 42) the age difference becomes less of an issue. It may be more complicated if the woman is 40 and the guy is 22. Most 22 year old men are not even as matured as a 22 year old woman, so a 40 year old woman will likely get bored quickly.
heavenonearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 10:30 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterCoffee View Post
Im 26 years old and Ive always found woman older than me very attractive. They seem so grounded, so assured of themselves and if I find them good looking, Im easily smitten.

Yesterday I was at a wedding and I saw a woman in her mid thirties with her young son. I cant really pinpoint what it was but there was something about her thats still making me think of her. Maybe it was the way she carried herself or the fact that shes a mom with a gorgeous figure but there was a large part of me that wanted her.

Today, at lunch on the table opposite to me was a woman who was probably close to 40 seated by herself. Again she was beautiful to look at but what attracted me was how comfortable in her skin she looked. Sipping slowly on her coffee, she seemed unperturbed, confident, at peace and I really wanted to talk to her.

Last year I had enrolled in French classes and on my first day I saw this beautiful woman at the entrance. I asked her for help in locating my classroom, which she was glad to do and when we got there I got a big shocker when she entered the room and announced that she was my teacher! At first I thought she was a bit older than me, 5 years at most, but as I got to know her more, I found out she was older than that and even had 2 kids! Like the other women I described, she was so at ease and comfortable being herself. Needless to say, I had an exemplary attendance record

Ive never dated a woman much older than me but Im seriously considering it going forward. So ladies, Im interested to know how youd feel if a guy much younger than you asked you out. Would you find him naive or immature? Would you reject him straight away? Would it make you feel like a cougar? Would you feel excited? And for the guys, what has your experience been dating older women and in particular, how did they treat you? Im very curious!
I would not date younger guys, I've had the worst luck when meeting a guy who was 6 or 7 years younger then me. 3 guys in a row, funny enough going on about how they are ready to settle down and like older women, only to reject me in a super immature way. So when a guy says that, I'm cautious.
I'veseenbetterlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 10:35 PM   #23
Established Member

I say go for it. Might as well if you want to "try it".
mortensorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 11:33 PM   #24
Established Member

My best relationship was with a guy 5 years younger. I've also dated 5 years older, and my own age, and it's just as likely that they'll still be man-children as anyone else. So, I agree with the other posters that it's dependent on the person. However, I will say go for it if you think you're in a similar life stage. For example, if you meet someone 32 who wants to be married with kids by 35, will you be okay with that? If you're definitely not, don't waste your time or theirs. But if you're open to their timeline (whatever it is, maybe they aren't looking for a family or maybe they already have one and aren't looking for a stepdad), then you'll have to ask the women out to see if they're open to younger guys!
SpecialJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 3:23 AM   #25
Established Member

I got divorced when I was 44 (48 now) and since then I've dated guys as young as 22 and as old as 64. Probably most of them have been between 28 and 33. I was/am crazy of some of those young ones but the idea of a long term relationship with someone in that range scares me. I usually tell them right from the beginning that we have to be and remain facebook friends bc I want to see them hit milestones, marriage, babies, career. And now that a couple of them have kind of moved on, left town or whatever, I do enjoy seeing them post about their lives. It feels natural and right for them to move on.
grays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 6:50 AM   #26
Established Member

I am in late 30s and would probably give a shot (but not take it seriously) with anyone >25 if I felt that spark. Not on OLD though, my lower age limit is 35. But then again, Im not looking for marriage and children. If I was, I would be stricter.
Old 9th February 2018, 7:00 AM   #27
Established Member

Theoretically if I was in my mid 30s and single, it might not be an issue for me. It's his personality that matters, not the age, so an uncharacteristically mature 20+ yo should be fine.

Realistically I have never dated anyone younger. However, that could be because I've been in an LTR since my early 20s... if I'd gone significantly younger at that time, I would've been robbing the cradle!
Old 9th February 2018, 7:19 AM   #28
Established Member

I almost refused to date my fiancee because of his age (mid-thirties), he is the only younger man I have ever been with.

Then I realized I may need someone to push my wheelchair one day...I smartened up and said ok.

I love this man and am looking forward to the rest of my life with him.

I would say as others have, that it's about the individual and compatibility, as with all successful relationships.

Good luck!
Timshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 7:49 AM   #29
Established Member

Sure

I would up to 10 years younger but only if hes sure that he does not want children. If he seems unsure or on the fence or has a Ill go along with whatever attitude, I wont date him.
Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2018, 8:44 AM   #30
Established Member

It's unfortunate that this can still be a controversial issue for some. To find that person you have a special connection with, that spending your life with is absolutely right, and then to pass on that because you can't get yourself comfortable with the fact they're x/y years older or younger than you, it would be a tragedy. A life not lived.

As a guy who never craved kids of my own I'm very glad my fiance overcame her initial hesitation to embrace what we have. Because we're incredible together.
gaius is offline   Reply With Quote