Guy Speak - Need translation

fifipheebs

What does it mean when a guy says "we'll see".

I am leaning towards the answer being a hell no. or he's waiting for a better social night offer.

I invited a guy friend to my b-day party and he said "i may, but we'll see".

Why couldn't he give me a straight up answer? I wouldn't be offended. If he aint coming I can invite other people.

CautiouslyOptimistic

I am leaning towards the answer being a hell no. or he's waiting for a better social night offer.

Why couldn't he give me a straight up answer? I wouldn't be offended. If he aint coming I can invite other people.

Is there a reason you can't invite other people even if he is coming?

• Like 3
Happy Lemming

That's a "no"...

He may be trying to be polite, with a "we'll see" but that is definitely a "NO" response.

I may use a "I'll try",but I really mean "no".

• Like 1

Sounds like a "no." I would make plans without him. If he's interested and can't make it, he can extend an alternative plan. If he leaves it dead in the water, I would not pursue. I would also not follow back up with a response like that...

• Like 1

I wouldn't interpret it as a "hell no", but a "probably not".

This has nothing to do with how guys are - it's just how people are, they give vague answers to avoid hurting feelings. I'd invite your other people and if by some outside chance he turns up and you haven't provided for him to be there... that's his fault for being flaky.

• Like 3

If he was very interested, he wouldn't give you a vague answer and wait to see if he could find something better to do, so do not humiliate yourself by following up with him and just forget about him.

• Like 1
As with all parties, this why there's the concept of RSVP by a certain date.

I hear you! And yet RSVPs seem to have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Last I looked, even Facebook event requests have a 'maybe' option. Seems everyone likes to keep their options open for the best offer on the day :(

• Like 2

I see it as a "maybe," leaning in the direction of "no."

You're posting on a DATING forum about a "guy friend." So is this a romantic interest or just a friend? Are you dating this guy or is this a crush on your guy friend situation?

Why can't you invite the other friends regardless of his answer? Are you planning on inviting another date/love interest if he says no?

• Like 2

As stated before: Not a guy thing. Just a thing.

And, yeah, that's why evite has the "maybe" option. I'm an old guy, and even before facebook and evite I always thought of a "maybe" on an invite as, "I'll come if I don't get any better offers." So, if he's a romantic interest, I think it shows a lack of interest. Sorry.

• Like 3

It doesn't necessarily sound like a NO to me. It is non-committal, of course, but that's it. He doesn't want to commit. He's keeping his options free.

Just yesterday, listened to the radio and apparently the new NO is now just saying MAYBE. Completely non-committal and can go anyone the person wants it to go w/o offending.

Funny, when I say maybe, it typically goes on the sound of YES eventually, especially when it comes to my kids and family. :)

• Like 1
  • Author

TQ to all for your responses. I also felt the vein of all your thoughts as well, it was a soft no, trying not to kill the friendship.

As to the question why not invite others anyway, on a head count for numbers, and also TQ to those who said not to check in and humiliate myself. Good one to remember.

Is this the same "guy friend" who is flirty and you have posted about him before?

My opinion (as a guy myself) is that there is a reason why he won't/can't go, but he will not disclose it to you, and thus chooses to leave you with a half-ass answer, as to not properly reject your invitation, while not confirming he will go. Thus why the aura of mistery surrounding his answer.