My boyfriend's relationship status on Facebook is single?

Lillyb

So, I do not have a Facebook but my brother checked my boyfriend's Facebook the other day to see his profile and he noticed that his relationship status is single.*

Does my boyfriend not care about our relationship or did he just forget to change it?

Should I be worried about this little thing...

We have only been together for 2 months and before we got together he broke up with his previous girlfriend, so I'm assuming he changed it to single right away after he broke up with her and forgot to change it back when we started dating.

Ask him. I mean, if he ever goes on there, then I have to believe he knows it says "single" and that he wants it that way for obvious reasons. He may consider himself single unless he's married.

IMO, such things on fb are usually meaningless. If he has an active OLD account, that would be an actual concern. And, have you "had the talk" about being exclusive?

• Like 3

You are still at the on trial stage. You are just dating.

If you expect more you need to bring it up with him. OR he's keeping it private, because he doesn't want people all up in his relationship business.

For years me and my husband didn't have any kind of relationship status on our pages. One day they finally had one for common-law marriage, and I put it on there. What an uproar I got. It was all pretty funny.

If this is important to you, ask him. But don't be accusatory. A Facebook status is not necessary for a good relationship. With my current SO, I didn't want to have a public relationship status until both he and I met the important people in each other's lives. We still haven't put it on Facebook yet (dating three months, we were exclusive and in a relationship pretty early on), although I have met all of his family/friends and he has met most of mine. It's just something I never think about, especially being so early on. So have that conversation if it's something that is on your mind, but don't put so much pressure on it. It's relatively meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

At this point I think it's silly to be worrying about FB status. It's only been two months...hardly enough time to really know someone, hardly enough time to know what direction the relationship is going. He is seeing you regularly, is treating you right, then you don't nee that FB status.

nothingsintheflowerz

My most recent relationship I told him he at the very least had to either change or hide his relationship status. He complied. If it's important to you he shouldn't make it an issue.

I'm all for hiding the relationship status. I hate the relationship status change circus. Why televise all the breaking up and getting with people.

That being said when I got engaged I made my relationship status public then changed the status to engaged. Facebook sent notification to all our friends. A very cheap way to announce it. ?

• Like 2

With all due respect, if FB isn't important enough for you to have an account, I think it's not important enough to worry about his status.

If you'd been in a solid relationship for six months, you had a FB account and he was refusing your request of showing a relationship with you, then you may have cause for concern.

• Like 6
I'm all for hiding the relationship status. I hate the relationship status change circus. Why televise all the breaking up and getting with people.

Oh yeah! Even teens I know don't rush in to change the status because of all the breaking up and making up which can happen. Advertising fledgling relationships is for the foolish.

• Like 1

I agree with others who've said that two months is too soon to expect him to change it. That's really no time at all. So I changed my mind. Don't ask him. Don't make it an issue. Don't push for exclusivity. Date him a couple more months and see how things go before expecting anything.

I've been dating my guy for almost two years now... And my relationship status on Facebook still says single. Frankly, it feels weird to change it and get "congratulations."

I don't think it means anything, especially after only two months. If your relationship is good, that's the only thing that matters.

• Like 2
heavenonearth

I think it's meaningless in a lot of cases.

My relationship status on facebook is hidden.

Same goes for my boyfriend.

I am not on facebook to announce everything that happens in my life, I am on there to keep in touch with friends, and they know who is my partner, because I TALK TO THEM IN REAL LIFE :)

Lol

• Like 1

I just recently changed mine to "in a relationship" for the first time. It was four months after we got together and still seemed to early to me. It made me really nervous. I'll probably never change my status again -- if there is a change probably just hide it again.

My primary reason for changing it was just to seevwhat it felt like, but I was also thinking that there were a couple of guys out there who should probably know. I was hoping it would make them feel like I was serious and unavailable. Seems like it did the opposite. I got several of them messaging me asking if I was for real and to let them know if I change my mind. My boyfriend is not on facebook, but if he were I don't think I'd try to talk him into it. lol

It felt weird, too, because I didn't tell him when I did it, but a couple of weeks later. He was pretty tickled, though, which made it seem worth it.

At any rate, its a weird thing to do and I can't blame amyone who doesn't want to. If anything, hiding the single status might be nice, but its quite possible he's just not thinking about it.

• Author
IMO, such things on fb are usually meaningless. If he has an active OLD account, that would be an actual concern. And, have you "had the talk" about being exclusive?

He told me that he doesn't just want this to be a fling.. he wants this to be a serious long term relationship