Is anyone good with research or stats, wondering how most people meet these days ?

Someone said only a small percentage of people use online stuff.

l've been wondering about all this since l divorced because in any forums and stuff , it seems like everybody uses some online site or one of the apps so l figured that was the of the world these days .

But , maybe not.

l'm no good with research or stats because l'm actually dyslexic .

Has anyone ever checked this stuff out l'd be really interested?

CautiouslyOptimistic
Someone said only a small percentage of people use online stuff.

l've been wondering about all this since l divorced because in any forums and stuff , it seems like everybody uses some online site or one of the apps so l figured that was the of the world these days .

But , maybe not.

l'm no good with research or stats because l'm actually dyslexic .

Has anyone ever checked this stuff out l'd be really interested?

I don't have time to do this right now because I'm getting ready to go out, but I actually did research on this about a year ago, mainly to dissuade my elderly mother from doing online dating. I'll see if I can find what I found, but it will be tomorrow, and someone may have beaten me to it by then!

I do remember that after my research, I was able to tell her that by limiting herself to online dating, at her age, she was restricting herself to only 3% of eligible men in her age range. (The percentages obviously go up as age goes down).

• Like 1

You know... this is one of those things that any conclusions draw are only as good as your data.

I have a degree in sociology, with an emphasis in research methodology (and yes, it involved quite a bit of statics - one of the few forms of math I enjoy).

Any way, this isn't something that someone could causally research and come up with any dependable results. You wouldn't be able to sample a significant number of individuals to ask. Any news articles etc, you would need to research as what methods they used to draw their conclusions.

I am sure this is something that the social sciences are studying. And peer reviewed, published articles and studies would be your best bet - but they tend to be quite dry and full of industry specific lingo.

Googling "what percent of Americans use online dating" pulls up articles that claim 15%, 27%, 12%.. the numbers are all over the place.

And what percentage of what demographic is an important question to ask.

% of All Americans? or only single Americans, or single Americans between the ages of 20 and 40...or?

Each will have different results.

• Like 3

Nothing beats meeting in real life.

So get out there and interact with the ones that

interest you that "way".

Most people that I know have met through work.

Next is through a friend.

Though if single there is a good chance I would try

OLD. No pc's or internet when I was young. Though

what I have read about OLD I do not think that I would

be that successful with OLD.

• Like 2
  • Author

Yeah same but def' , real lifes a no brainer if ya can.

But alot of people either just don't have that going on or have exhausted it all a long time ago l guess, know people in that sitch.

Think l saw somewhere though , only 4% of of real couples have met on line. Dunno if that was right or not but holy hell only 4% , if it was right then unless you got really , really , lucky, you'd be wasting your time.

And l think l saw something like only 5% of single people were using date sites anyway, so that'd make it even more long shot because most of them aren't even on it anyway then.

But reading around in forums and stuff it's like everyone is on them. l've had the impression no one meets normally anymore it's all online or date apps or some shyt .

Maybe l was wrong. Maybe they'r ejust the ones on computers talking about it in forums giving us that impression.

Edited by Chilli
  • Author

Well, l was bored the other night so l gave it a go myself and luckily it only took one click , l'm ok with that if it's written clearly.

And for anyone putting their future in the hands of online dating , it doesn't look good.

only 5% of committed relationships this is , not just some 2mths thing, real relationships, and marriages, in the US met online.

88% met just in everyday life some how..

22% of up to 25s are using online date sites or apps trying to meet someone.

Only 12% of older single people 40s and upward, are on date sites.

this is males and female, 1/3 of people online have never gone on a date , and only 2/3 have only been on one date.

This was a pretty good poll it went into all kinds of stuff and ages but there's the gist right there.

So there ya go, still can't beat real life people, not by a longggg shot.

• Author

Well there ya go. l just checked this other one l saved to read later, he says 30% of all marriages start online.

So that isn't bad odds really according to that one but it contradicts the other one and so the confusion begins.

• Like 1
Well there ya go. l just checked this other one l saved to read later, he says 30% of all marriages start online.

So that isn't bad odds really according to that one but it contradicts the other one and so the confusion begins.

I remember 10 years ago the statistics said 25% of couples out there had met online. I think it's logic it's now 30%.

Online has changed the face of dating for sure. People don't approached strangers in the streets like they did before, that's over.

• Like 1
People don't approached strangers in the streets like they did before, that's over.

What planet did you come from where people EVER approached strangers on the streets? California?

What planet did you come from where people EVER approached strangers on the streets? California?

I am from that bizarre planet called California.

I have been approached in the grocery store, in train stations, walking my dog in the park.... And yes even on the street! (Downtown waiting on my Lyft ride).

I am from that bizarre planet called California.

I have been approached in the grocery store, in train stations, walking my dog in the park.... And yes even on the street! (Downtown waiting on my Lyft ride).

It's influence by demographic for sure. When you live in a beautiful place with a shining sun all year long people go out and mingle. If you are from Montreal and need to hibernate 5 months of the year, and all after work free-time goes to shoveling and breaking ice then Internet is a good way to make contact.

It's influence by demographic for sure. When you live in a beautiful place with a shining sun all year long people go out and mingle. If you are from Montreal and need to hibernate 5 months of the year, and all after work free-time goes to shoveling and breaking ice then Internet is a good way to make contact.

True, although I have seen New Yorkers react in dismay that people actually chat on the train here.