The strange way I've sorta met someone

CautiouslyOptimistic

CautiouslyOptimistic

I was going to post this to one of the other posts about how to meet people, but decided to just start a new thread.

I haven't met this man in person, and who knows if I will (but chances are decent I will). I am not even actively looking to date anyone, but I do love getting to know people from scratch so I'm enjoying myself.

So anyway. The other day I posted a "Missed Connections" post on Craigslist, about a man I had seen at two places (one right after the other) while running errands. There were several things about him I found alluring.

I've done this maybe 4-5 times in my life and I always get a kick out of it because of the emails I get from hopefuls (I do not post pics, it's not that) and just the hopeless romantic in me who wants it to actually happen :) .

Of course, I've never actually connected with the person I post about.

But, I did get a message from a man who told me my message was the sweetest and kindest so far this year, and I responded that his message was also very nice (and we tried to determine if he was my mystery man), and then we just kept talking. He's not my mystery man, but we have definitely hit it off. Exchanged pics and phone numbers and have been texting. And I like him :).

Will he be my knight in shining armor or soul mate? Probably not. But, just throwing it out there.....ya never know.

Post a message and see who you reel in ;).

P.S. Yes, of course I'd be ultra careful, just like I would be with any kind of online dating.

P.P.S. If we ever ended up together, we'd have to come up with an alternative story because after what my ex-husband used Craigslist for, I could never, ever admit to meeting anyone through Craigslist.....!

• Like 12
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
Maybe 10 or so years ago, a girl posted about me in the missed connections. I have always read those things and was surprised to see one about me! We met, dated for a few weeks, and even though things never progressed beyond a few sex marathons, it was a good experience. She's married now, and we never really talk, but we are FB friends. I think everyone should read them. Ya never know what you'll find.

Aww, that's really cool you met someone that way. I've never heard of anyone who actually has.

• Like 1
mortensorchid

I wonder about those Missed Connections postings I've seen in newspapers and the like over the years (now in the online newspapers). I wonder if these ads were true things, either in a pre or present internet world. But CraigsList? Yikes ... It has a certain reputation I'm sure you're familiar with.

Be careful ...

• Like 1

Good for you! I never read the missed connections, though one time about 12 years ago or so I posted one. I had been at a concert and there was a cute gal who asked if she could sit by me. We chatted a bit between songs and then said goodbye after the concert was over. I regretted not asking for her number, so I posted some details and she responded. She was extremely happy to actually be the missed connection. We never did get together because she lived like 100 miles away or something, but I was really shocked she saw it. You never know. Good luck.

• Like 2
Cookiesandough

I always was fascinated by missed connections. It is a true shot in the dark. I think if you met someone that way and actually hit it off and became a real thing it would be a romantic story to tell, despite CL personal’s seedy rep. That’d be an exception. I can think of few ways to meet someone more surreptitious and cute! They have to be looking on their and looking for someone describing them by like the color of their shoes or something

• Like 2

good luck!! maybe you were suppose to give a shout out to that one just because you were meant to meet this one!!

please be careful though just because not everyone is awesome

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

Cool story.

10 or so years ago I met guy in a night club. We really liked each other but since I had a few drinks, I mistakenly gave him my old phone number that I recently changed. I could clearly remember the next day that I gave him the wrong number.

I posted on Australian version of missed connections, describing him and the meeting in detail. His friend saw it and told him...we ended up dating for a couple of months :)

• Like 2

Good for you Cautions.

I dont know about this one. The type of people that crawl Craigs list personals tends to worry me a bit. But I hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

Very cute story :-)

Please be extra-careful, ask his name and google him. I am looking forward to read your update!

• Like 1

Well Cautiously, in fairness for the fellas at home reading, I don't think a GUY posting in the Missed Connections would have nearly the same success :laugh:

Anyway CO, I hope it works out! And I hope you do run into and spark a connection with the guy who was the one who sparked you to write in the MC section in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic

OK, it's a definite no now! Found out this morning he's 47 (knew that part) and lives with mom and dad. Nope. A big, big nope. I'm way too old to even entertain the idea of someone who doesn't have his poop together!

Next :). But, it still was fun. :)

• Like 4
OK, it's a definite no now! Found out this morning he's 47 (knew that part) and lives with mom and dad. Nope. A big, big nope. I'm way too old to even entertain the idea of someone who doesn't have his poop together!

Next :). But, it still was fun. :)

But.....is it temporary like he stays there while he's having his bamboo floors redone in his mansion?

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
But.....is it temporary like he stays there while he's having his bamboo floors redone in his mansion?

:lmao: no, I don't think so :). I asked him why and he said, "it's just been that way and in many ways it's been a blessing. Them having me around to help them out, and vice versa. I know it might seem odd but it just is what it is. :/"

I said that must make dating difficult and he said there's been no dating.

So, sadly, I don't there have been bamboo floors, either!

:lmao: no, I don't think so :). I asked him why and he said, "it's just been that way and in many ways it's been a blessing. Them having me around to help them out, and vice versa. I know it might seem odd but it just is what it is. :/"

I said that must make dating difficult and he said there's been no dating.

So, sadly, I don't there have been bamboo floors, either!

I fully understand how it looks for him but, I will just mention this. My lady neighbor who's late 50s, very independent, been single for 10+ years, owns her home etc etc met a gentleman and he also was living with his parents. His parents were getting older, he was divorced, so he decided to move in with them and help them through their old days. He's not lazy by any mean, he works as an engineer and he's full of money so my lady neighbors get to go on those 'out of this world' dates like helicopter rides!! She's been dating him for a while and she's pretty happy and she is really really picky when it comes to men.

• Like 1
  • Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
I fully understand how it looks for him but, I will just mention this. My lady neighbor who's late 50s, very independent, been single for 10+ years, owns her home etc etc met a gentleman and he also was living with his parents. His parents were getting older, he was divorced, so he decided to move in with them and help them through their old days. He's not lazy by any mean, he works as an engineer and he's full of money so my lady neighbors get to go on those 'out of this world' dates like helicopter rides!! She's been dating him for a while and she's pretty happy and she is really really picky when it comes to men.

I'll try to keep my mind open ;). But usually when someone is living with parents at this age there is some sort of dysfunction that led to it....

I'll try to keep my mind open ;). But usually when someone is living with parents at this age there is some sort of dysfunction that led to it....

all though it's good to be optimistic, do not lose site of reality. It's craigslist and chances are this guys a loser.

• Author
CautiouslyOptimistic
all though it's good to be optimistic, do not lose site of reality. It's craigslist and chances are this guys a loser.

Yep, yep, I think so! There's still a part of me that wants to sit across from him and hear his life story, from an anthropological perspective. I know, I'm a weirdo. Human beings really do fascinate me though.

• Like 2
Yep, yep, I think so! There's still a part of me that wants to sit across from him and hear his life story, from an anthropological perspective. I know, I'm a weirdo. Human beings really do fascinate me though.

There is nothing wrong with being friends with someone. From the sounds of it, the guy could really use one. it's craigslist so that is questionable for him to respond to an ad, that clearly wasn't for him and he probably knew that at the time.

• Like 1

yeah throw this dude a bone. Just do it in a highly public place. And get a friend to call you about 15 minutes into it...just in case.

Was his picture current? You said he is handsome. Was he nicely dressed, groomed, etc.? A quick phone conversation would probably go a long way. While it looks odd on the surface, looks can sometimes be deceiving. Perhaps his family has a lot of money and the house is really big. I could see that being a workable situation if he didn't have a wife and kids. I don't know, he could also be a creeper.

LivingWaterPlease

In that case I might meet him, CO. Sounds as if, even if you don't have chemistry, he's may be a great guy for taking care of his parents. But, if you meet him DO be careful. Meet him in a public place and take a friend with you to walk you to your car afterwards.

The Craigslist aspect of this bothers me, though. I wouldn't be alone with a stranger unless I could find a credible web presence online. Not talking about social media although that would be helpful, more like, web page, place of business (verify where he works), community events, charities, etc. Even then I wouldn't meet him alone until I'd spent a few meet ups with him in public and learned things about his friends, his past, etc., and some things I could research and verify about his life. You can't be too careful!