How often do you meet someone you really like on OLD?

Eternal Sunshine

Eternal Sunshine

And it's mutual, well at least mutual enough for around few months of exclusive dating?

I realized that it's about once a year for me. I thought it was less but then I remembered that last Christmas I was few months into a relationship with separated and now divorced guy.

There was someone this year too, but it only lasted 6 (intense) weeks.

In the last 12 months I have met 3 people online and had relationships lasting 3-5 months with all 3. I am a 26 year old male who considers myself to have a 5 or 6/10 for looks.

I have been OLD on and off for 3 years now and I reckon I've had around 25 first dates in that time.

For me it seems to be about 2 months of not even getting a first date then I'll talk to someone that looks promising for a few days then the first date - more often than not it ends at that but whenever it ha progressed to more than one date usually it lasts a few months.

It's a strange one OLD though - sometimes you get nothing for ages and consider chucking it all in then other times you can be talking to 3 girls at once that looks promising.

About 1 in 50, or 2%. Admittedly, I'm very particular, and won't date someone unless they have the potential of being a truly great match. I'd rather keep looking than waste time on someone who will be - at best - a short term fling.

• Like 2

Wondering the exact same thing seems l'm single again basically after 23 yrs really.

Does seem to be a bit of a thing about people on date sites l must admit , it looks like it anyway.

l was on it a few mths after divorce and met someone l could've really gone for in a serious long term way but she was all over the shop.

And again l've met someone this time is exactly what l'd go for which is very rare,l don't go for many women, but she's seeming hold backish too and tbh , l doubt anything will come of it, pretty sure she's scared underneath it all and blocking any real interest that comes her way.

And it's not me l've avoided about 5 relationships with other girls l've met they would've gone for it.

Seems you meet one on there though that you'd actually see real long term stuff with and l dunno , always seems to be something.

my first year on OLD I've met 5 women. I liked them all. None have turned into long term things yet but I'm still friendly with all of them. Outside of the one who's ex (?) busted in and tried to stab me. I've kinda left that one alone. It's a shame too. The sex was awesome.

Edited by rightondude
Ruby Slippers

I'm off dating sites now, maybe for good, but it's been rare for me. One a year if I'm lucky.

It's easy to get dates and shallow connections, not easy to find a quality connection of depth.

• Like 5
And it's mutual, well at least mutual enough for around few months of exclusive dating?

I realized that it's about once a year for me. I thought it was less but then I remembered that last Christmas I was few months into a relationship with separated and now divorced guy.

There was someone this year too, but it only lasted 6 (intense) weeks.

For me, once every 5 years.

• Like 2
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
I'm off dating sites now, maybe for good, but it's been rare for me. One a year if I'm lucky.

It's easy to get dates and shallow connections, not easy to find a quality connection of depth.

Me too. :bunny:

• Like 1

Did OLD since 2013... had maybe 25 dates or so in that time frame. Luckily, am with my current GF almost 4 months in. I've since deleted all dating apps and I haven't checked with her because that's her business, but she initiated the BF GF talks and I can tell by her actions that she's content with me. Of course, things can change on a dime, but I feel lucky. Feel like I really met a good one here... the kind of girl that won't stray and date behind my back or such.

So far, so good.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine
OK, I haven't done OLD, but all the posts here make me wonder "why bother?".

All of you happily partnered people that have never had to do OLD? Add it to the list of things that you are grateful for in 2017.

• Like 2

Out of 15 guys I've met through OLD this year, I SLIGHTLY liked 2. But I wouldn't have chosen them if I met better candidates. Only once I've gotten a relationship out of OLD (and a crappy one at that).

Bottom line - OLD doesn't seem to work :/

• Like 1

Me, in my five years of doing OLD, there has only been a couple of women I have really liked. I would say on average, a quarter I would like to see again. I probably get a second date in about a tenth of cases. Half of the second dates go no further, and the ones that do fizzle out after four, five or six dates. I have yet to get a relationship out of OLD.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine

I used the word "really liked" lightly. I meant more "slightly liked" and it's mutual enough to attempt a relationship.

Old did work for me about 5 years ago now even girls who I would never talk to in person message me then disappear.

Yeah I guess it’s the only place where all women can play supermodel

• Like 2
Old did work for me about 5 years ago now even girls who I would never talk to in person message me then disappear.

Yeah I guess it’s the only place where all women can play supermodel

Ha ha. Good analogy. You’ll see every woman say “It’s easy to get dates”. It’s not the case for guys. We are a commodity on OLD.

In the 1.5 years I’ve been on OLD I met one girl I wanted to be with long term. I had some red flags a month in, but at about 4 months I just couldn’t take her anymore (selfish, immature, entitled, temper tantrums, demanding, not particularly intelligent).

It was really a shame because she had a lot of the qualities I was looking for in a partner.

So once a year for me as well. They say that it takes 2-3 years to find someone with whom you really have a deep connection.

I’ve had some good sex from OLD, but I’m really tiring of it. It’s amazing how difficult it is to meet someone compatible when it seems like I’m the only single guy I know.

• Like 1

Probably around once a year. Normally have to have half a dozen first dates to meet someone that I end up dating for any meaningful length of time, and it takes a lot of effort to get a genuinely promising first date. Much of the time I don't put in enough effort for that.

When I was younger it was mostly me interested in a second date and them not, now it's mostly them being interested in a second date and me not... because it seems most women in their late twenties and beyond are using very old and extremely flattering photos, which aren't representative of what they really look like any more.

Once.

In fact the first and only time I tried it. Started out fine. Ended up with me being catfished before I even knew there was a term for it. That was 11 years ago. So although Initially I was all for it, based on my less than stellar outcome I would not do it again.

I’ve met many women through online dating that I definitely could “like” but those women usually didn’t get far enough for that to happen. Either they didn’t feel the spark or distance/time became a circumstance. But if you do your due dillegence before meeting up (finding common interests, checking their social media) you can at least be a little more confident going in that you’re going to like them, at least enough to go on a few dates.

All of you happily partnered people that have never had to do OLD? Add it to the list of things that you are grateful for in 2017.

How do you think you'd cope with meeting a new person rarely? In the old days, it was not uncommon to spend large periods of time single with nobody on the horizon. We also had to leave the house and do social things in order to meet others.

Perhaps this would be a better option for you? It can still be done.

• Like 3

It was more often in my 20s and early 30s. Now it's only every couple years at 40. 2 years ago I met someone I liked a whole lot, but it didn't last long. Last year I met someone that I liked, but didn't like enough to keep it going after a few weeks.

Date after date the last 2 years and just met someone I really like alot and see it going somewhere, finally.

What_Did_I_Do

None yet.

Went for an OLD coffee meet today and the fellow, in a round about way, suggested I should introduce him to my girlfriend who he has never met, seen or knows anything about other than my quick personality description. WTH??

I'm ready to throw down my cards....

• Author
Eternal Sunshine
This is what I don't get. No one has to do OLD, they choose to. The old-fashioned way of dating is still viable, not to mention others that people completely overlook for whatever reason. I tried OLD, had no real luck and stopped using it. End of story. It's like people are addicted to it or something.

I only meet maybe one single man per year that's close to my age in everyday life. So meeting someone that I like and that likes me back is next to impossible without OLD. Past a certain age, almost nobody seems to be single.

I actually know a few single women my age but no single men. Maybe it's where I live or something.

• Like 1