What do I say? Need some sentence starters

girlinNYC

So I’ve decided (as per a previous post) to tell my friend how I feel about him. It’s happening on the coming weekend and I couldn’t be more at peace with it.

I’ve been running through what to say in my head but nothing sounds right. How exactly would I start it? Once I start I’ll know what to say but it’s the introductory part that I’m struggling to come up with. Something eloquent.

I’ve never told a guy how I feel before, so I’m pretty new to this!

I recommend you focus on being concise more than being eloquent. Rehearse as much as you want, but when rubber hits the road you'll be sitting there staring at him and about half the words will fly out of your head. When I confessed my feelings to my now-husband I did it in a sentence, and even that was tough!

• Like 2
  • Author
I recommend you focus on being concise more than being eloquent. Rehearse as much as you want, but when rubber hits the road you'll be sitting there staring at him and about half the words will fly out of your head. When I confessed my feelings to my now-husband I did it in a sentence, and even that was tough!

Glad it paid off! What did you say?

Glad it paid off! What did you say?

Oh gosh, it was terrible. I basically called him out for being flirtatious while admitting I enjoyed it. Yes, really. It was a mess.

Haydn's advice is spot on. It'll be much less stressful if you can laugh about it and you'll both feel a bit more at ease.

Edited by lana-banana
  • Like 3
  • Author
Oh gosh, it was terrible. I basically called him out for being flirtatious while admitting I enjoyed it. Yes, really. It was a mess.

Haydn's advice is spot on. It'll be much less stressful if you can laugh about it and you'll both feel a bit more at ease.

Haha! Good grief.

I think so too. My intention is to be mature and sweet about it so I think that will ease things on his part. There's nothing comfortable about these situations, ever, so being affable is best. Ice breakers aside I still have no idea how to deliver the all important 'I like you' punchline.

Ice breakers aside I still have no idea how to deliver the all important 'I like you' punchline.

That is the ice breaker :)

--------

(scene - walk up to him with energy and bounce),

opening line,

"Hey Trent! Good news! I like you!"

laughter ensues, and a full contact hug.

While you're hugging him, just smile and say with energy, "I mean, I really like you. . . Now you kiss me."

--------

Basically, don't make it serious, and rip the rainbow Band-Aid off all at once.

And I very much agree to keep it s.h.o.r.t.

Don't build it up, just do it.

--------

Something like that worked on me once. It was delightful :)

Edited by Sunlight72

Totally awkward don't do it!

The best thing to do is to change the way you interact with him. Seduce him with flirtations, touching, close contact, leaning on him, grab his hand, make suggestions to do things one on one, like "Hey lets go for a walk and then watch the sunset." Ease into it. Hopefully he will get the hint and take the lead.

Edited by smackie9
  • Like 1

In NYC voice:

Dude are you totally clueless? Here I'm sitting completely in love with you and you're sitting there. Kiss me you fool.

;)

Or, what the others said....

• Like 1
  • Author

The best thing to do is to change the way you interact with him. Seduce him with flirtations, touching, close contact, leaning on him, grab his hand, make suggestions to do things one on one, like "Hey lets go for a walk and then watch the sunset." Ease into it. Hopefully he will get the hint and take the lead.

Usually I would agree however he won’t be around as much with new work commitments and I’ll have no idea if or when I would see him again. We aren’t best friends just acquaintances. This next fortnight is my only chance. I’ll apologise etc for the abruptness, he will definitely understand that.

• Author
That is the ice breaker :)

--------

(scene - walk up to him with energy and bounce),

opening line,

"Hey Trent! Good news! I like you!"

laughter ensues, and a full contact hug.

While you're hugging him, just smile and say with energy, "I mean, I really like you. . . Now you kiss me."

--------

Basically, don't make it serious, and rip the rainbow Band-Aid off all at once.

And I very much agree to keep it s.h.o.r.t.

Don't build it up, just do it.

--------

Something like that worked on me once. It was delightful :)

Oh I definitely don’t plan on dragging it out haha. Short and sweet is the aim of the game. I think the more serious it is the more awkward it can get, so in an already uncomfortable situation it’s best to minimise the awkwardness as much as possible.

• Like 1

`watch the sunset?`

Much better would be...

`Right, fancy a pint`?

When I did it, I did something like this:

Arranged to spend time with the guy. Talked about normal stuff but moved a bit closer then normal & made sure to touch him a lot & tried to keep up steady / dreamy eye contact. Then I stumbled into "do you ever think about us & wonder what would happen if we tried to be more than friends?" If he said "no" I'd make a joke, change the subject & pretend it never happened. If he said yes, or leaned in, I let nature take it's course.