Love at first sight - Do you believe in it?

iVisa

• Do you believe in falling in love at first sight? I know "love" is a big word, but don't treat it so seriously now, please.

• Have you ever been in a situation when somebody looked deeply into your eyes and you felt this? Your heart started to beat faster and you thought "this is it." I believe in love at first sight. At the beginning, it's obviously just a strong chemistry between people, but when they get to know each other, this can transfer into real love. I think an attraction is very important because it can attract. Then we can know a person and decide if he can be in a relationship.

• Last week I had a similar situation. I fell in love at first sight. He just looked at me for a moment, and I felt my heart beat so fast. Even if he doesn't look like the man of my dream. It was an amazing feeling. Completely magical. Then he chats me up. He is very funny and talkative. He asks me on a date. Unfortunately, I was so surprised that I refused. I thought we would meet in this place again but didn't. I can't stop thinking about him.

• Christmas is coming, snow is falling, and I want to be in love at this beautiful time! So all I want for Christmas is a date. What do you think? Will we meet again? Maybe I should just forget about him.

• Like 1

I believe the line is from the movie "Cousins" with Isabella Rosellini and Ted Danson:

"Love At First Site. Consequences to Follow". I believe in love, and I definitely believe in consequences, so keep your wits about you!

• Like 1

Hell yes! I think we forget our intuition is something very real that has evolved for a reason. I felt it 2-3 times and hope to experience it again.

Where did you meet? Can you trace him and ask him out? Miracles happen when we are proactive ;)

Do you believe in falling in love at first sight? I know "love" is a big word, but don't treat it so seriously now, please.
I believe it can happen to people, and does.

• Have you ever been in a situation when somebody looked deeply into your eyes and you felt this? Your heart started to beat faster and you thought "this is it."

I've met thousands of women in life and recall it happening twice, once at 25 and then again about ten years later.

• I believe in love at first sight. At the beginning, it's obviously just a strong chemistry between people, but when they get to know each other, this can transfer into real love. I think an attraction is very important because it can attract. Then we can know a person and decide if he can be in a relationship.

I think that's a fair belief. In my case, they both turned out to be married, though the first one did string me along for a bit. They were sending out the 'I'm available' vibe that married women occasionally do when they're playing or having affairs. The first one turned out to be having an affair with her employer.

• Last week I had a similar situation. I fell in love at first sight. He just looked at me for a moment, and I felt my heart beat so fast. Even if he doesn't look like the man of my dream. It was an amazing feeling. Completely magical. Then he chats me up. He is very funny and talkative. He asks me on a date. Unfortunately, I was so surprised that I refused. I thought we would meet in this place again but didn't. I can't stop thinking about him.

Sounds exciting. I remember those years well, when I believed people were authentic and honest and sincere and could let it happen. It was fun to have that whole intimacy conversation in my head and attach all kinds of feelings to a simple interaction. It was a lot of fun and I mean that sincerely. I'm glad it can and does happen to others and perhaps wonderful relationships develop from it.

• Christmas is coming, snow is falling, and I want to be in love at this beautiful time! So all I want for Christmas is a date. What do you think? Will we meet again? Maybe I should just forget about him.

Well, you let one opportunity get by you so work on saying yes when that kind of thing happens again. Perhaps his job and timing in your life was to remind you of that. In any event, regardless of what happens, the memories are worth it.

• Like 2

"He asks me on a date. Unfortunately, I was so surprised that I refused"

Well, if he did feel the same, he's probably not feeling it anymore.

• Like 2

I'm not exactly sure I believe there is some kind of magic going on, like two people who're destined to be together or something. But I definitely think I have very strong chemistry with a few people on this earth for whatever reason and if I stumble across someone I have that chemistry with, I'm going to be open to that person in a whole different way, which may very well lead to love.

It has happened to me twice.

First time I was with a group of friends, including a date, and date's brother tagged along. I feel like I knew the moment I laid eyes on brother that he was my other half. We didn't have our first kiss till a year and a half later, but then we were together for 25 years. (I hate him now and have no idea what I could possibly have been thinking, btw!)

Second time was just 4 months ago. I was walking laps and he was standing still leaning against his car. I passed him and I thought *just what I'm looking for!* and then I felt like I had to do the next lap in record speed to make sure I caught him before he left. When I got back around we looked at each other like it was xmas morning, neither of us could play it cool, both way too smiley and blushing. He asked for my phone number and I think now I can say he's my second real boyfriend ever. It's still really hard to keep my head straight about him. I'm like a giggly teenager or something. But there's some unfortunate stuff about his/our situation that may make it too difficult. I want to hold on to him, but I'm very much aware that it may not turn into something as deep as last time around.

I do wonder how I knew that he was going to be different. When I met him I was dating several other people, none of whom I saw any kind of future with and I just cut them all off automatically, just in case. I had never done that before or even considered it. And that was before I had any real idea about whether we'd have anything in common or what his personality was like. But maybe his smile and his eyes gave me a lot more to go on than I realized.

• Like 1

Yep , it does.

Have had it lived it married it.

Anyone who says it doesn't just haven't been lucky enough to have it because when they do they find out.

Dunno about yours though , tbh , sounds more like something your more dreaming of and want.

Good luck with it though.Never know huh.

Ruby Slippers

I think the feeling of love at first sight happens when you perceive someone as having highly attractive qualities on the genetic/biological level.

I felt it once. The moment we met, he looked like he had a literal halo of light all around him. I felt instantly and intensely attracted to him on every level.

Unfortunately, the feeling was one-sided. He wanted to get married. I think he saw me as a good practical choice. Sometimes I wish that had been enough for me.

mortensorchid

I believe in lust at first sight, that's for sure.

But ... Love? I think it can and does happen. I know of two situations in which it has happened. One was a friend of mine about 15 years ago. It was on Christmas Eve/Day of 2001, she met this guy Barry at a Christmas party. She and him had met once before many years before, he was the brother of a friend. They met again, and she said she remembered when they met before years ago, and for some reason, it was magic. One week later, on New Year's Day, he said to her "I know we'd met before, I have only really known you for a week, but I know this is what I want." And he asked her to marry him. She said yes. He used to be a Marine, he was injured and was discharged due to injuries on maneuvers, and he was disabled. The injury had left him with a broken back and blind in one eye. He also said that he was born with only one testicle and he was told from the time it was discovered when he hit puberty that he could not have kids and was that okay with her? She said it was. And one month later, she discovered she was pregnant with their son. They married about six months later, now live in the South with their son. She said marriage is not easy, but they love each other and they work at it. Barry had a stroke a few years ago, he's even more disabled than he was before, but they still love each other. THat makes me happy.

Another which is even more magical ... A friend of my mom's named Joan. Over 50 years ago now, she was invited to a party. Some friends of her parents were entertaining some people visiting from England, she didn't want to go to the party, but she went because she agreed to it. There she met Richard. He was traveling with his family to the US, and they met. SHe said she felt that he was just a wonderful man and how sad she was that he didn't live her. A few days later, Richard called her and said he was coming back to town and would she like to spend some time together. He came back, on the second night here he told Joan that he came back for some unfinished business. It was to see her again, and would he accept his hand in marriage? SHe did not say yes right away but said she felt the same. They wrote to each other everyday (in the pre internet days), then she traveled to England to spend Christmas with him, he asked her again, she said yes. THey spent the next 40 years together happy as they could be, ending with her death in 2001.

So yes, it can and does happen. I can only hope this will happen to someone out there, including myself.

• Like 1
  • Author
Where did you meet? Can you trace him and ask him out? Miracles happen when we are proactive ;)

I met him on a bus. He knows where I live and he told: "I will remember". I hoped I will meet on a bus again, but we didn't.

Well, you let one opportunity get by you so work on saying yes when that kind of thing happens again. Perhaps his job and timing in your life was to remind you of that. In any event, regardless of what happens, the memories are worth it.

I got used to saying "no", and I was so surprised... I hoped he ask me for my number, and then I would have some time to decide...

I think the feeling of love at first sight happens when you perceive someone as having highly attractive qualities on the genetic/biological level.

Yes, I think it's more than an appearance. It is something that we can't see.

I believe in lust at first sight, that's for sure.

But ... Love? I think it can and does happen. (...)

So yes, it can and does happen. I can only hope this will happen to someone out there, including myself.

Yes, maybe it's a lust, but love doesn't exist without a lust.

The only two women with whom I've ever had a long term relationship, I married. The very first time I saw them, I was like "WOW!" Not exactly certain if it was LOVE, but it was close. So, I guess I do. :)

Yes. Moreover I believe in instantly knowing that someone is going to matter to you. Chemistry is real. I first saw my special someone in Jan and he completely stood out, to this day he is still the only one and only ever will be.

• Like 2

I absolutely believe it exists!

I think there are times where you meet someone and you just know. If you can spend time with them and you just feel that attraction on all levels from the off.

If there and experience everyone should experience it is this one! Unfortunately once you have experienced it, chances are you its all you are going to want!

heavenonearth
  • Do you believe in falling in love at first sight? I know "love" is a big word, but don't treat it so seriously now, please.

YES!

•  
    • Have you ever been in a situation when somebody looked deeply into your eyes and you felt this? Your heart started to beat faster and you thought "this is it." I believe in love at first sight. At the beginning, it's obviously just a strong chemistry between people, but when they get to know each other, this can transfer into real love. I think an attraction is very important because it can attract. Then we can know a person and decide if he can be in a relationship.

Yes, I had that with my current boyfriend! We felt it already the first few times we talked on Tinder after we matched. The moment I walked into the bar on our first date, and I saw him, I just KNEW! I still feel the same way when he looks at me, now, 6 months later.

•  

Aw no, you missed your chance! I hope you run into him again!! If it's meant to be, you probably will!! Love is real!

• Like 1
I met him on a bus. He knows where I live and he told: "I will remember". I hoped I will meet on a bus again, but we didn't.

Aaaah it sucks - don't leave this to chance. Do you know his name? His bus stop?

Craigslist Missed Connections maybe? One never knows :D It will make quite a story if you reconnect.

newyorker11356
No, it's not logical. I think it should be rephrased as "attraction at first sight". Takes getting to know someone to fall in love.

This.

I'll admit, I sometimes secretly chuckle when some people say that they looked into someone's eyes (or something like that), and knew they'd be the one that they would fall in love with.

Yes. Moreover I believe in instantly knowing that someone is going to matter to you. Chemistry is real. I first saw my special someone in Jan and he completely stood out, to this day he is still the only one and only ever will be.

^^This! I do believe and have experienced chemistry and attraction at first sight. Its just this weird feeling where you meet someone and you instantly feel like you have chemistry and you are close to them and have known them for ages, its very easy to talk to them and they are a kindred soul. It usually almost always ends in both people leaving whoever they are with in a relationship at the moment and getting into a relationship together. I guess you could call it love at first sight though in my experience its a lot more than just physical and visual. There is something much deeper to is than the physical -- it's actually reaching into your soul in a strange way. It's the best thing and feeling in the world when it happens.

• Like 1
^^This! I do believe and have experienced chemistry and attraction at first sight. Its just this weird feeling where you meet someone and you instantly feel like you have chemistry and you are close to them and have known them for ages, its very easy to talk to them and they are a kindred soul. It usually almost always ends in both people leaving whoever they are with in a relationship at the moment and getting into a relationship together. I guess you could call it love at first sight though in my experience its a lot more than just physical and visual. There is something much deeper to is than the physical -- it's actually reaching into your soul in a strange way. It's the best thing and feeling in the world when it happens.

...and the worst when it ends.

I believe love develops over a period of time when getting to know someone. But the feeling you describe is more than lust and attraction. It’s a spiritual connection and exceedingly rare.

I’ve had strong chemistry at first sight and strong attraction at first sight many times in my life. But that deep spiritual connection only once.

It’s tough to settle for less once you’ve experienced it.

Interesting, and odd, that the first knock at the door would end up being someone I just couldn't steal away from looking into her eyes. When you're out in the woods and someone knocks at your door, well, trust me, I thought it was the sheriff :D

She had walked out from town and was collecting bottles and cans to help a family member.

Anyway, nice reminder that all the parts are still working in the old machine.

"Maybe I'll see you around".

Yeah, you and your husband. Don't start that stuff. :D

Haven't read all the responses yet....

My husband says it was love at first sight.

It was basically a blind date, he picked me up at my house, and to this day.... He says he knew the moment I opened the door.

As for a fleeting look meaning love... I don't know. I have locked eyes and flirted with a man before (with eyes only) in a way that stuck with me. I couldn't get him off my mind. I found him facinating while knowing nothing about him (besides the story his dapper clothes told).

But I wouldn't call it love - rather infatuation.

• Like 2
todreaminblue

i do believe in "love at first sight" a feeling of something there....an attraction that cant be easily explained.......with a question of why him or her....cant be answered....it is what it is.....

i still believe in taking things slowly.....getting to know that person more.....explore what you feel....see if its mutual even...some say limerence ...some say lust...whose to know really what love is...poets have tried for centuries to define love.....whose then to say that you cant have love quickly....every one is different and everyone has a different definition of love is....

my mum asked me to tell her what love means to me....what i said was a complete absence of cruelty towards someone.....to love them unconditionally...to expect nothing but want to give all of you...love is to only want the very best for them.....non judgment and complete acceptance of who that person is cracks and all...thats love.....

to stay with someone and the reasons why you would stay is where love changes.....but i do believe in love at first sight...and the guys i have fallen for at first sight...have no cruelty about them towards me or others..i feel that and sometimes its reflected in their speech.....it is extremely rare for me to be in love at first sight........deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1

No, but I believe in lust at first sight.

Oh yeah, one woman was so attractive to me, my knees would literally shake around her. But it was mostly physical attraction. I think you have an idea in your mind about a romantic encounter, and your mind has created a scenario which fulfills your romantic fantasies. There's nothing wrong with that at all!

If it were true that this all happens as a result of destiny, wouldn't you have responded differently? Would you have had any choice but to accept his offer?

Who knows, but even if you don't accept what I'm saying about love at first sight, I hope you at least believe me enough to reach out and try to make this happen as opposed to waiting around on fate to bring about another chance encounter. At least if you reach out and he doesn't respond, you'll know it wasn't fate and that you tried your best to make it happen.

Oh and Merry Christmas!

No I don't.

I beleive in lust or chemistry at first sight. It's a chemical reaction caused by pheromones. It just means you and him are compatible to reproduce. To *love* someone you need to *know them* and you should be able to answer the question *why do you love him*, you cannot answer this question right? so it's not love.

This chemistry or lust means in no way you would be compatible for a relationship, doesn't mean you have enough in common or have similar moral values which is detrimental for a relationship to go long term.

Of course I have experienced it a few times and it's very powerful but I know it's just a trick of the brain. Last time I experienced turned out the man had lied to me for 6 months.

newyorker11356
Haven't read all the responses yet....

My husband says it was love at first sight.

It was basically a blind date, he picked me up at my house, and to this day.... He says he knew the moment I opened the door.

As for a fleeting look meaning love... I don't know. I have locked eyes and flirted with a man before (with eyes only) in a way that stuck with me. I couldn't get him off my mind. I found him facinating while knowing nothing about him (besides the story his dapper clothes told).

But I wouldn't call it love - rather infatuation.

He likely said that to sound romantic, but there's no way "he knew" once you opened the door. I mean, come on, lol..

For all he knew, he may not have felt any chemistry while on the date, or on the flipside, you may not have been into him, etc.

Lust/infatuation? Maybe. But to say he knew you'd be the one he'd love and marry when you opened the door is way out there.

I think some people often confuse lust/infatuation with love.

Edited by newyorker11356