Have I initiated things the wrong way?

Nixis

Hello,

So, there's this cute chinese waitress at a local restaurant that I thought was a good idea and try to approach. Halfway through the dinner I asked her for a pen and a piece of paper, in which I wrote down that I though she was cute, in chinese, and that I would like to get to know her, plus my phone number. We exchanged a few looks during dinner, I suspect due to her wondering what in the world I wanted that paper for. At the end I went and gave it to her in person.

I did not look back, but a friend that did said she was sort of ecstatic, showing the paper around.

I did things this way because I didn't want to pin her to the wall by asking directly, and didn't ask for her number instead for the same reason. I didn't choose any of those methods out of lack of guts, it really was purely for her sake, but now I am sort of regretting not having done things in a similar way, but asking for her number instead.

Obviously nobody can answer this question accurately, but what do you figure are the odds of this actually working? She hasn't contacted me yet, but it's only been a day and a half anyway.

Thanks

Edited by Nixis
CautiouslyOptimistic
Hello,

So, there's this cute chinese waitress at a local restaurant that I thought was a good idea and try to approach. Halfway through the dinner I asked her for a pen and a piece of paper, in which I wrote down that I though she was cute, in chinese, and that I would like to get to know her, plus my phone number. We exchanged a few looks during dinner, I suspect due to her wondering what in the world I wanted that paper for. At the end I went and gave it to her in person.

I did not look back, but a friend that did said she was sort of ecstatic, showing the paper around.

I did things this way because I didn't want to pin her to the wall by asking directly, and didn't ask for her number instead for the same reason. I didn't choose any of those methods out of lack of guts, it really was purely for her sake, but now I am sort of regretting not having done things in a similar way, but asking for her number instead.

Obviously nobody can answer this question accurately, but what do you figure are the odds of this actually working? She hasn't contacted me yet, but it's only been a day and a half anyway.

Thanks

You should have asked for her number.

• Like 1
  • Author
You should have asked for her number.

Yeah, that I sort of figured. Next friday I will inevitably have to go back to the restaurant, do you think I should just play it cool and let this one go, or jokingly approach her about the paper and ask for her number this time? I am confident I can pull it off without coming off as a creep, just not sure if I should do it at all.

I would let her come to you now. You gave her your number, so it's up her now what she decides to do with it.

Do you happen to know if she's single?

• Author
I would let her come to you now. You gave her your number, so it's up her now what she decides to do with it.

Do you happen to know if she's single?

I suspect she is, and her reaction upon getting the paper would make it seem like that is the case, but it's anyone's guess

Your friend was pullin your leg. If she was that ecstatic she would have sent you a text by now.

Confidence wins the girl....remember that.

mortensorchid

I think you should have written that in English. Just because they work in a Chinese restaurant doesn't mean that they speak/write it. Especially if she's white. Ha ha ha ...

But seriously, people in certain service jobs like that are used to people attempting to pick them up by passing them notes. Think about that.

• Author
Your friend was pullin your leg. If she was that ecstatic she would have sent you a text by now.

Confidence wins the girl....remember that.

Nah, she's a purely honest type. I'm not taking what she saw as an indicator of anything, but if she said it happened, it happened.

I think you should have written that in English. Just because they work in a Chinese restaurant doesn't mean that they speak/write it. Especially if she's white. Ha ha ha ...

But seriously, people in certain service jobs like that are used to people attempting to pick them up by passing them notes. Think about that.

She's not white, she's chinese, I know some chinese, and heard her speak the language.

And maybe that is the case wherever you live, but it is far from the norm here. In my country, and especially in these small towns, people are very closed off from one another, and certainly don't go around approaching strangers randomly, much less for possible romantic pursuits.

I can attest to that.

I used to serve and bartend back when I was a student, and it wasn't at all unusual for male patrons to pass their numbers to us female servers. We had a whole collection of them.

If not a written note, they certainly didn't miss the opportunity to hit on us just by chatting either. It's very common in the service industry.

CautiouslyOptimistic

I don't see any harm in asking her for her phone number when you go in again. I think it might be kind of cute to even slip her another note when you arrive so she has time to return it to you while you're there. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but if she's interested she might find it cute. Maybe she's just too shy to call you first.