What makes a guy...

Popsicle

Put “I have a job” under profession in a dating profile?

Been perusing the men in a different state that I may be moving to and I notice that quite a few men say this. Just wondering what is their thinking in putting this answer.

They are thinking that they don't want to share too much personal information too soon. Or maybe that they have a rubbish job and don't want to admit it. Or they "work" for their dodgy mate Vinny cash in hand mate no income tax no VAT pass the saving on to the customers. Or they are just lying.

It's a really dumb thing to say but it's quite common.

Plenty of women do it too, by the way.

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear

It sounds like they are being sarcastic.....My guess it's a poke in the eye to all of the women on there with average looks and average jobs looking for studs with 250K jobs and a couple mil in a portfolio....

TFY

• Like 7
It sounds like they are being sarcastic.....My guess it's a poke in the eye to all of the women on there with average looks and average jobs looking for studs with 250K jobs and a couple mil in a portfolio....

TFY

He well said brother and all they bring to the table is a damn yelp account

Oh and a collection of Instagram selfie’s

• Like 2
  • Author

Yeah, they could be bitter (which is not good) or they could be like the women who only post head shots - they may be embarrassed. Which is slightly better.

Been perusing the men in a different state that I may be moving to and I notice that quite a few men say this. Just wondering what is their thinking in putting this answer.

Many ladies do this too. One of two things, I think:

1. Privacy.

2. Don't want you to be influenced, in either way, by what he does.

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear

I dunno...I lot of it depends on the stage of life....

At this stage of life, if a woman asked me what I do for a living, id tell her I was self employed....If she proceeded to ask me how much I make, id say more than id ever want to spend, and enough to never need any money from anyone....

TFY

• Like 1

I online dated for only a brief amount of time. I answered the question regarding my profession truthfully, which in turn caused a lot of odd characters to contact me. Things improved when I left it blank. It's a simple question of filtering.

• Like 2
GorillaTheater

If I was single, I'd be tempted to do the same. I suspect that stating that I'm a lawyer is going to attract some women who see dollar signs, and probably automatically disqualify me with a bunch of others ...

• Like 3
  • Author
Many ladies do this too. One of two things, I think:

1. Privacy.

2. Don't want you to be influenced, in either way, by what he does.

Oh privacy? Is that why some don’t have a picture at all or a picture of something other than themselves?

I think it’s strange. The deal with online dating is that you have a profile. Fill it in and put pics up.

If you want to be secretive, fill it properly and hide your profile, then only write to who you want to write to. That way only those who you are interested in get to see your profile. I get men who do this to me sometimes.

If I was single, I'd be tempted to do the same. I suspect that stating that I'm a lawyer is going to attract some women who see dollar signs, and probably automatically disqualify me with a bunch of others ...

It is such a polarizing profession.

• Like 2
I bet they want women to observe their other attributes, rather than what they do for a living.

Correct. Maybe I wasn't blunt enough in one of my earlier posts. Certain professions present an image that may or may not apply. I'm not a typical banker, and I'm sure Gorilla is not a typical lawyer. It really helps to hold back that information until later in the dating process to make sure that a woman actually has an interest in you.

• Like 4
Oh privacy? Is that why some don’t have a picture at all or a picture of something other than themselves?

I think it’s strange. The deal with online dating is that you have a profile. Fill it in and put pics up.

If you want to be secretive, fill it properly and hide your profile, then only write to who you want to write to. That way only those who you are interested in get to see your profile. I get men who do this to me sometimes.

I do put up my profession, etc. I'm with you. I wish people were completely transparent on their profiles, but I am suggesting to you that privacy is one reason why some don't. I have nothing to hide and do not fear my privacy will be intruded upon. But some people are in much more sensitive professions/positions and would rather not provide anymore information than required especially when you haven't met yet. It doesn't take too much to find out more about someone with just their pic/profession and their first name after you've started communicating.

• Like 1

Yes, although more specifically if they don't have a picture it's probably because they don't want their wife to catch them on a dating site.

I can understand high earners wanting to avoid golddiggers but you don't have to put N/A or whatever to do that. Just put the general category of work you do. I always put "IT" on mine. The point of this box is to give a general idea of what kind of job you have. Similarly I don't understand people who put "self employed" either. Self employed what? IT contractor, plumber, tax adviser, brick layer, delivery driver, driving instructor, wedding coordinator?? Self employed is no better than "I have one" IMO.

• Like 2
  • Author
I bet they want women to observe their other attributes, rather than what they do for a living.

That's silly though. Should a beautiful woman who wants men to observe her other attributes not put a pic up at all? You are who you are.

• Author
I do put up my profession, etc. I'm with you. I wish people were completely transparent on their profiles, but I am suggesting to you that privacy is one reason why some don't. I have nothing to hide and do not fear my privacy will be intruded upon. But some people are in much more sensitive professions/positions and would rather not provide anymore information than required especially when you haven't met yet. It doesn't take too much to find out more about someone with just their pic/profession and their first name after you've started communicating.

They shouldn't be online dating then, imo.

If it's obvious that you are deliberately withholding something, it makes it difficult to ask. Because, obviously, you don't want to tell/show.

I just had a guy write to me this morning with no pic. I didn't respond for that reason. After he saw that I clicked on his profile and didn't respond, he writes, "I can show you a pic".

That's silly though. Should a beautiful woman who wants men to observe her other attributes not put a pic up at all? You are who you are.

I know women who do just that and swear by it, meaning that they get less responses but the quality is better.

• Like 2

some men are sensitive when women ask what they do for a living. the men think the women are trying to figure out how much money they make.

• Like 2
  • Author
I know women who do just that and swear by it, meaning that they get less responses but the quality is better.

So why don't we all just leave both our pictures and professions off of our dating profiles?

Would everyone like that?

I doubt it.

So why don't we all just leave both our pictures and professions off of our dating profiles?

Would everyone like that?

I doubt it.

Sure, but a substantial group wouldn't mind. Not using OLD I met a lot of people that way online.

• Like 2