Lying about Age

JoeSimone68

If someone lied about age (only 2 years, but still) on OLD is this a deal breaker or is so common now that you just assume everything isn't honest? Experiences with this?

• Author
lying about 2 years is nothing. try 10 or 15 years, like many women do.

So you would be able to ignore the lie as a "misrepresentation" if its only a couple of years? Or does it mean bigger trouble. I just don't get why not be truthful if its only a couple years.

For me personally it will be an absolute deal breaker. I just won't be able to trust the person for anything from there on. I don't care if they lied for 2 years or 20 years.

• Like 1
I just don't get why not be truthful if its only a couple years.

Because to some people the difference between 29 & 31 or 39 & 41 feels like more than 2 years.

Many people lie about their age so that they are not excluded in age preferences. If I'm 41, I may lie about my age and say that I am 40 or 39 for those seeking potential partners looking only up to 40. I had a lady who I met recently who admitted as such.

• Like 4
Many people lie about their age so that they are not excluded in age preferences. If I'm 41, I may lie about my age and say that I am 40 or 39 for those seeking potential partners looking only up to 40. I had a lady who I met recently who admitted as such.

Well you're killing your chances for people that will confirm the info before meeting you.... which nowadays is way to easy.

If someone put their upper treshold at 40, believe them that they have good reasons for it.

The last 2 guys I met online said "39" too even though one was 41 and one was 43 for the same reason mentioned above. I didn't mind. I actually understand.

• Like 2
The last 2 guys I met online said "39" too even though one was 41 and one was 43 for the same reason mentioned above. I didn't mind. I actually understand.

I believe this is what they are hoping for...your understanding as to why they did this. I suspect that as long as the person comes right out and admits to it as the lady I met, they feel that there is a decent chance that you will not dismiss them.

If someone lied about age (only 2 years, but still) on OLD is this a deal breaker or is so common now that you just assume everything isn't honest? Experiences with this?

For me, it would be a deal breaker. I find if people can lie about something personal, what else could they be lying about? I mean some people say it’s so their age doesn’t exclude them but you know what, so be it. There are other people looking for partners in their age range.

In real life, I found people who lie about their age lie about other stuff too.

• Like 2

The people who state every little thing will be a deal breaker will always be single because there are literally a million things you could next somebody for on OLD. Men lie about their age, height, and being married. Women lie about their age, weight, and kids. I think about 50% of all the women I met through OLD lied about one of those three. If they fessed up before or during first date, I didn't hold it against them. The younger ones never have to lie about those things but that doesn't mean they don't lie. Their lies all have to do with flaking, ghosting, and multi-dating. You just need to get thick skinned and accept that it is just part of the game...

• Like 1
For me personally it will be an absolute deal breaker. I just won't be able to trust the person for anything from there on. I don't care if they lied for 2 years or 20 years.

Is it an absolute deal breaker if a guy says he's 5'11 but he's really 5'9? Or a woman who claims thin when she is definitely not... I've never believed anybody who insists they are a certain height when its obvious they are not. They know their real height and are just lying. I mean who is seriously so stupid that they don't know how to use a tape measure...

For me, it would be a deal breaker. I find if people can lie about something personal, what else could they be lying about? I mean some people say it’s so their age doesn’t exclude them but you know what, so be it. There are other people looking for partners in their age range.

I've never met a person who doesn't lie...

Every woman I've dated has used the sickness excuse to get out of seeing friends or relatives while I'm lying in bed next to them. Then at some point they try to pull that crap on me do they really think I was born yesterday???

I'veseenbetterlol

Def agree! Doesn't matter what they lie about, they plain lied. That does not fly in my book. Even a little lie turns into a bigger issue.

The only man I met off OLD that lied about his age, was lying about a whole heap of other things too, he was a scammer and got sent to prison for conning thousands and thousands of dollars out of vulnerable women. So no I wouldn't trust someone who lies about their age.

• Like 1
lying about 2 years is nothing. try 10 or 15 years, like many women do.

Do you really blame them?

It seems to me that any woman over 35 or even over 26 to some men is useless and over the hill...

And as for over 40, or over 50...

Society loves young and ultra young women, older women not so much...

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

It's no different than a guy lying about couple of inches of height. Which I would say more than 50% of them do.

I would be a little uneasy but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

• Like 1
Is it an absolute deal breaker if a guy says he's 5'11 but he's really 5'9? Or a woman who claims thin when she is definitely not... I've never believed anybody who insists they are a certain height when its obvious they are not. They know their real height and are just lying. I mean who is seriously so stupid that they don't know how to use a tape measure...

Yeah, lying for height/weight is terrible too, but lying for age in my book is worse. It is like concealing identity.

It's no different than a guy lying about couple of inches of height. Which I would say more than 50% of them do.

I would be a little uneasy but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

IMO it is very different. Age + name define someone’s identity. Height is just visual preference, age affects every aspect of ones existence (remaining time alive, remaining fertile time, remaining time being employable...).

I will be disappointed if someone is shorter or heavier that what they wrote, but if they’re hiding years... I’m out.

I don't really like it when they lie about age, even if it's only a couple of years, but I think when a lot of people do this, it's because of the age-range demographics on OLD. As stated, the difference between 39 and 41 can seem big, when really it's not, but it puts a person in the 40-category and could shut out a demographic, particularly if this 40-something is more in a personal place that aligns better with younger 30's, maybe no kids, and that sort of thing. So overall, it's not a major deal-breaker for me, but it is something that I don't like and doesn't set things up on the best footing.

I also get people who don't state their actual location. That bothers me more. I don't know why they don't state the city they actually live in.

It's interesting how wound up people seem to get about age. Like it's some special magical number.

It's the amount of times the earth's gone around the sun with you on it. Big deal.

If someone changes their profile parameters (age) to match more people, it's hardly a crime. Equating it to scams and worse is kind of silly.

The thing is, when you meet people in real life, they aren't walking around with a number on their head telling you their age. And you don't have a filter that auto hides them. You might actually meet them and like them, and decide the age thing is pretty irrelevant.

I think online needs to be more like real life. All these parameters to filter out everyone, algorithms to match on this and that...they don't really work all that well.

And all these people saying they would never trust someone that lies...everyone lies, every single day.

• Like 5

I don't care what a person's age is. It's the lie that I would not accept.

I can understand the point made about women becoming undesirable freaks once they hit 30 though.

Age unfortunately is a ‘magical’ number - it gives info when someone will retire, get infertile and die. It is quite possibly the most informative number one have for themselves.

It's interesting how wound up people seem to get about age. Like it's some special magical number.

It's the amount of times the earth's gone around the sun with you on it. Big deal.

If someone changes their profile parameters (age) to match more people, it's hardly a crime. Equating it to scams and worse is kind of silly.

The thing is, when you meet people in real life, they aren't walking around with a number on their head telling you their age. And you don't have a filter that auto hides them. You might actually meet them and like them, and decide the age thing is pretty irrelevant.

I think online needs to be more like real life. All these parameters to filter out everyone, algorithms to match on this and that...they don't really work all that well.

And all these people saying they would never trust someone that lies...everyone lies, every single day.