Has He Lost Interest or Am I Overthinking?

Peachland

A couple of weeks ago a former coworker who I've known for almost 15 years invited me out for drinks. I thought he originally just wanted to catch up but it turns out he was interested in me. During the evening he invited me to attend an event in another city. I was surprised by the invitation because we've never gone out before except for lunch a year ago as friends and this night for drinks. I questioned where I'd stay because he does have a vacation home in this town but I wouldn't feel comfortable staying there. He understood and suggested a nice hotel in the area. I told him I'd get back to him because I wasn't sure I could get away that weekend. Anyway I enjoyed my time with him and was definitely interested in seeing if there was potential for more. At the end of the date, he set up a date for the following week.

Before our 2nd date, I got back to him on the out of town invitation and told him I could go. He said great and we'd talk more about it later. We had our 2nd date on Saturday and he hasn't initiated any contact since. I did text something on Sunday and he responded in an upbeat manner but he hasn't initiated any contact with me. He also hasn't asked me out for a 3rd date.

On this 2nd date we actually went on a run and I couldn't talk too much because he's a lot faster than me. At the end of the hour run we hugged and left the park separately. It was an odd end because I thought we would go to breakfast or something.

I'm confused. The last 2 guys I've dated kept in contact with me and always set up plans for future dates. This is an awkward situation because technically we do have a future date set in a couple of weeks for this out of town event but it would be strange for us to not meet up beforehand.

Do you think he's lost interest? How should I handle our supposed date in a few weeks? If he were a stranger I would move on quickly but I know this guy. Am I overthinking?

It's early on, and you do have an upcoming date together so he's obviously interested.

Maybe he's taking it slow and doesn't want to come off as too clingy or desperate texting you all the time.

I'd say overthinking.

Cookiesandough

Wait...you guys went for a run on your second date. And the guy was running ahead of you? xD Not cool. What was he thinking. What is your assessment of how the second date went otherwise?

• Like 2
Romantic_Antics
Wait...you guys went for a run on your second date. And the guy was running ahead of you? xD Not cool. What was he thinking. What is your assessment of how the second date went otherwise?

We frequently think alike on things, Cookies. Those were my exact thoughts. A jog for a second date doesn't strike me as a particularly top notch idea, OP, and having the guy not even maintain your pace so that you could at least talk is honestly pretty rude. To have it end with the two of you just going your separate ways makes it even worse. Maybe he lost interest because you aren't the elite marathon runner that he is?

I'm kidding there. Sorry. The whole thing sounded weird to me.

I guess just take a wait-and-see approach if you're still interested. Ask him a few days or so prior to the next date you two already have scheduled if you're still on for that weekend and then see how it goes. Hopefully he has something other than jogging planned...

• Like 1

I get a since that he likes you and your company, but I'm not getting a romantic feel from his actions, especially the second "date" and lack of contact.

• Author

He was very considerate on the date. We're both training for a race and I told him I want to get faster. I ran faster than normal but he slowed to my pace.

The conversation during the run was friendly but not very romantic and maybe that's ok. I just thought we would do something after the run but I didn't suggest anything. I knew he had his kids at home so I didn't want to push it.