Should balding men wear a hat on first date?

Myasylum

As with most balding men, I am a bit insecure about it.

Especially now being older and being back in the market.

I'd feel more comfortable wearing a hat, as I usually do.

However... it's just a matter of time before the hat comes off and you see what's underneath.

I do keep it shaved, but it's always a awkard situation.

My online dating profile does say "bald" but if they didn't read it, and the hat comes off on the first date... not sure what they'd think?

Probably just depends on where the date is??

Any help is appreciated.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Don't wear the hat, but are your pictures of you on your OLD with or without a hat on? You should have both.

I personally couldn't care less if a man has a shaved head.

• Like 5

Only it it's cold...otherwise be proud of who you are and don't cover it up..

Like you said, it is on your profile so wearing a hat will draw attention to any insecurities and flag it...

• Like 1

No.

I would be wondering "why is this guy wearing a hat? Is he insecure?" That is less attractive to me than the fact that he is bald.

It makes no difference to me. Have fun on your date!

• Like 4
  • Author

I'm actually wearing a hat on my OLD profile... as I say, I'm usually wearing one anyway.

I see your point though.

Well, if you normally wear a hat, then that's another thing. Do what feels good and normal to you.

The kind of date will make a difference. If you are going to baseball game - hat. If you are going to a fancy dinner - no hat. First date, I would probably say no hat. But, that's just me.

Best wishes.

I'm actually wearing a hat on my OLD profile... as I say, I'm usually wearing one anyway.

I see your point though.

All the more reason to go as you are rather than show an insecurity from the get go...

The message sent if you DON"T wear a hat is that you are secure in who your are since they know you are bald and have seen pics of you wearing a hat..

BTW.. many women love their men bald... just saying...

• Like 2

don't. As a fellow baldING (can't yet admit I'm there! LOL) man, just own it. Don't wear hats in restaurants nicer than KFC. And like you said, that hat'll come off eventually!

But, if you just can't give up the fight, have you tried Rogaine (seems to work for me)? Propecia (I haven't, due to the crazy side effects)? If it's that huge a deal to your psyche (and believe me, I understand) you could do grafts if you have the money.

I would say don't wear a hat on the first date. I agree with above I have no issues with balding, but I might have issues with them being overly insecure about it.

Go somewhere for the first date that you wouldn't wear a hat, and don't. Unless she suggests a venue like a ball game then clearly do.

In my experience men have a lot more issues over going bald than women think about them. There is the odd woman who doesn't like it but most don't really care. So assume they don't care and own it. Good luck! Have fun!

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic
I would say don't wear a hat on the first date. I agree with above I have no issues with balding, but I might have issues with them being overly insecure about it.

Go somewhere for the first date that you wouldn't wear a hat, and don't. Unless she suggests a venue like a ball game then clearly do.

In my experience men have a lot more issues over going bald than women think about them. There is the odd woman who doesn't like it but most don't really care. So assume they don't care and own it. Good luck! Have fun!

Exactly.

But, since there are some women who do care, you should have a pic of you without a hat on your profile. This would help alleviate any insecurity on your part, and surprises.

• Like 2
heavenonearth

No. Do not wear a hat. Be yourself. If a woman is truly interested in you, she won't mind that you are balding. If she has a problem with it - do you really think she would have been a good fit to begin with?

My boyfriend is balding. He has a bald spot on the back of his head and a bit of a receding hairline. However, he does not shave his head. Part of his hair is grey. I think it's sexy.

We met via Tinder, and I could not see that he was balding in the pictures. I noticed it immediately on the first date. But it did not bother me AT ALL because we are a great match and I fell in love with him at first sight.

Do not be insecure about your hair or lack thereof! The right woman will definitely not worry about it - she may even find it sexy!! :)

• Like 3

I see your point though.

Do you keep it on when you have sex? No so get rid of that profile picture with a hat on.

Myasylum, lots and lots of women LOVE men with a shaven head and I am one of them. This is what life gave you so own it and rock it !! If you want a bit of an edge grow a goatee or a beard for a bad-@ss look.

I dated many bald men when I was single. Actually my bf has a full head of hair and more than once I told him to shave it all off.

• Like 2
I'm actually wearing a hat on my OLD profile... as I say, I'm usually wearing one anyway..

If you are more comfortable wearing a hat, wear the hat on the first date. First dates are nerve-wracking enough to begin with; you don't need to be all fidgety because you are uncomfortable without your hat. A new person will misinterpret your behavior if you are squirming around because you don't have your safety blanket.

As a compromise, do post at least one photo of you on your profile without the hat. That way when it comes off she won't be surprised.

Hats can be deceptive.

A friend of my neighbour whenever I saw him always wore a hat, so I assumed "bald".

I met him in town yesterday by chance and whilst talking to me he removed the hat momentarily to position it better, to reveal some very very thick hair, and no sign of any baldness, LOL...

Absolutely not!

If that is who you are, then that's who you are and there's nothing wrong with being bald.

I'm old fashioned... I'd have a problem with you keeping your hat on indoors.

• Like 4
I'm old fashioned... I'd have a problem with you keeping your hat on indoors.

I thought I was the only one.

• Like 3

I advise you to put some pictures without the hat to your profile. If it is a huge problem for a woman, they see it right away.

I would not try to hide behind a hat unless a hat is expected because of the circumstances, like a baseball game. You are bound to take it off eventually.

Also, do not bring it up in conversation as some kind of flaw, even jokingly. I don’t care about balding (my long term boyfriend is balding, he wears it shaved) but it would be a turnoff if you bring it up and make a big deal of it.

• Like 2

OP,

No, no and no some more ! Who care if you're bald? Look at Telly Savalas and Yul Brynner - yeah. Only wear a hat if it's cold and then take it off when you get inside. Good luck !

• Like 1
OP,

No, no and no some more ! Who care if you're bald? Look at Telly Savalas and Yul Brynner - yeah. Only wear a hat if it's cold and then take it off when you get inside. Good luck !

Many women DO care. If I were a movie star like Telly and Yul, I am certain it's not my head that attracts the women.

OP, I, never the less, concur with most others. Don't wear the hat and own your baldness. It seems that bald is in and I see it everywhere where I am. My brother has been bald for over 20 years and has a very attractive ginger of a wife and beautiful family. I suspect many women don't care much about bald, but hats and crazy hair cuts to try to cover-up the balding area has to be a no-no. :-)

I guess it is not much different than an overweight lady disguising the extra pounds with Spanx or someone with A cup wearing a Bobmshell (add 2 sizes) bra... The thing is your date will be attracted to a false image of you and then they may back off seeing the whole picture...

I have long gorgeous hair so I cannot feel your pain. I do make it a point in at least one my dating profile pictures I have it. Some women will like, some will not.

You need to do the same and have at least one of your pictures of being bald man

Michelle ma Belle

I have one word for you - confidence.

Your profile says 'bald' and I'm sure, like so many men, there are some women who don't bother to read profiles from top to bottom. That being said, you definitely need to upload at least one pic WITHOUT a hat on.

Like Gaeta said, unless you wear your hat during sex...or when you shower...you should embrace your baldness rather than hide behind your hats for as long as you can get away with it. I mean, it's only a matter of time before she is going to see you without one on!

I for one am attracted to confident men. I think whatever problems you have with women may be as a result of your insecurity rather than the lack of hair on your head. Where does your insecurity stem from? Any specific event triggered this for you?

Besides, why not look at this as an opportunity to vet your prospects? Why would you want to prolong the inevitable only to find out some woman you've been dating for a few weeks isn't crazy about balding men? Talk about a waste of time.

Trust me, there are scads of women who couldn't careless about the amount of hair you have and who find bald men attractive. Me included. Need proof? Just Google famous bald men.

You're welcome :)

Edited by Michelle ma Belle
  • Like 1

^^^ ha, yep be yourself.

Me? I would pick balding over long hair. I am just not into long hair - and balding, I guess I have matured, it's not something I mind at all on a mature man.

• Like 3

Wear a wig (but that's lie) Be yourself the real you if they don't like it then it their lost not yours. Your bald face it, act it, live it. Now go and get real women who love your baldness and leadership.