Is she racist?

gbe2015

So I was on a date with a girl and we are watching the movie IT

For those who seen it there is a jewish character that is a bit neurotic and talks a lot (but funny).

Anyways so we are watching the movie and he does something funny and she laughs and says 'It takes a jew'. After about 15 seconds I reply 'what does that mean?' 'That it takes a jew to act that way. It's funny because only a jew could be that way'

Now is that racist? I think it is but then that's how the charactor in the movie is protrayed. Thoughts?

Edited by gbe2015
  • Like 1

I would be taken back by that comment.

I haven't seen the movie - but what was she talking about when she said that? Only a Jew could? I mean, REALLY, what was she trying to say?

• Like 1

No she is not. You're really stretching it. Being racist would be to refuse to give him a job because he's Jewish when he is perfectly fit for the job.

My good male friend is Jewish and I'm Catholic. We make Jewish jokes all the time. I am also a white woman dating a black man. I won't tell you how many black/white jokes we make or comments we make. We're not racist. We laugh at stereotypes.

• Like 6

It would be looked at as a racist comment by some, but that doesn't make her a racist at all. Being a racist is hating/disliking someone because of their nationality, race, skin colour, religious beliefs, etc. Making comments like that could be taken as ignorant or rude to a Jewish person, it may not.

Everyone makes fun of other races, and it's not just limited to us whities doing it. My cousin could speak many languages, Mandarin being one of them. He was in a elevator while two Asian folks who were of course speaking in Mandarin thinking their conversation was private. They were slamming Canadian people, saying how lazy we are, etc. When my cousin walked out of the elevator, he turned and told them to have a nice day in their language. I wish I saw the look on their faces. My cousin said it was priceless, they were in total shock.

• Like 2

Everyone makes fun of other races, and it's not just limited to us whities doing it. My cousin could speak many languages, Mandarin being one of them. He was in a elevator while two Asian folks who were of course speaking in Mandarin thinking their conversation was private. They were slamming Canadian people, saying how lazy we are, etc. When my cousin walked out of the elevator, he turned and told them to have a nice day in their language. I wish I saw the look on their faces. My cousin said it was priceless, they were in total shock.

That must be priceless!

And think of all the things Canadians say about us French-Canadians, we laugh it off. Smackie you can call me a frog and slvtty any time you wish I am proud of my stereotypes :D

No she is not. You're really stretching it. Being racist would be to refuse to give him a job because he's Jewish when he is perfectly fit for the job.

My good male friend is Jewish and I'm Catholic. We make Jewish jokes all the time. I am also a white woman dating a black man. I won't tell you how many black/white jokes we make or comments we make. We're not racist. We laugh at stereotypes.

I have a black coworker who thinks differently about that. A drunk friend of ours got too comfortable and started talking to him like a brother trying to fit in, saying the n word like they call each other. I know he didn't mean anything by it, nor making fun of him. My coworker and his wife got very up set and called him a racist....we all knew it wasn't racist, nor was out friend ever been a racist and I have known him for over 20 years. Nope, the coworker said that comes from somewhere bad, he is a racist and didn't see our point of view. There was no hate intended, just a drunk guy over stepping his boundaries because they just met that night.

I get upset how people distort what being racist is and I was really tempted to explain it to him, but I wasn't going to get into an argument with him about it. We just walked away.

To add this person hates transgender people and doesn't want his child exposed to that crap as he puts it. When Katelyn came out he just would shut up about it. It was offended some staff members who have transgender friends. So the pot calling the kettle black (pardon the pun).

Edited by smackie9
  • Like 1
I have a black coworker who thinks differently about that. A drunk friend of ours got too comfortable and started talking to him like a brother trying to fit in, saying the n word like they call each other.
There are subjects that are off limit when it comes to laughing at our stereotypes. If I tell my bf: let me guess you want fried chicken for dinner? it's funny. If I say the N word: not funny.
  • Like 2
That must be priceless!

And think of all the things Canadians say about us French-Canadians, we laugh it off. Smackie you can call me a frog and slvtty any time you wish I am proud of my stereotypes :D

I tease my GF, she lives in Quebec city :) My husband is of French decent, so I give him a few digs. (he's American/Parisian french tho) and I know there is a BIG difference lol. *rolleyes*

• Like 1

“Racism” isn’t just about hate – it CAN be that, but it is also defined as:

“the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.”

Its believing that a person’s race makes them different. “Only a Jew could do that” – what is this thing that only a Jew could do, that a Asian, Caucasian, African or other race couldn’t do? What is it about being Jewish that distinguishes them from other races?

In what context would it be cool to say “only a black person could do that” or “only a white person could do that”?

I know… I am no fun. Blame hailing from liberal San Francisco, and a sociology degree.

Just because “everyone” judges others, or makes jokes etc based on race, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. These types of thoughts infiltrate daily life in a myriad of ways.

That Chinese group that thinks all Canadians are lazy – do you think that would color their business decisions? Other interactions?

What if they said “all black people are lazy”, what if they believed that, and then judged all black people. Refused to hire “lazy people” which by default due to their beliefs include black people.

Then that would be okay? Its not racism because it isn’t hate? Its just judging others on their ethnic background, not the individual – which is racism.

• Like 5
There are subjects that are off limit when it comes to laughing at our stereotypes. If I tell my bf: let me guess you want fried chicken for dinner? it's funny. If I say the N word: not funny.

What I don't like is them using it too, when their parents, and or grand parents fought for civil rights not to be called that. To me that's a disgrace.

• Like 1

Now is that racist? I think it is but then that's how the charactor in the movie is protrayed. Thoughts?

Ugh... Millennials! I can talk about race with people from all over the world no problem. We can laugh and joke about it... knowing that race doesn't really exist.

If I talk to someone my age from the Anglo world about race I can literally count down the seconds until they get butthurt and crazy. Look, race doesn't exist, but cultures do raise people differently and teach them to act and view the world in different ways. Jews are no exception, so people can act "Jewish". It isn't even a fricking race it's a damn religion. If she said someone acted Mormon you wouldn't freak out.

If we were smart then we would pass a law that says Millennials can't vote. Otherwise we will be the next Venezuela or N. Korea.

• Like 1

I know… I am no fun. Blame hailing from liberal San Francisco, and a sociology degree.

I understand as an American you have a long ugly history with racism and it cuts people deep. Many of us do not have that history and do not experience racism at the level Americans do.

To me, as a Canadian, what OP is describing is called stereotypes, not racism. To others, with a different history, it could be perceived as racism.

• Like 1

She made a offensive comment about Jews instead of saying he was Jewish she said JEWS! Not proper term if you are Jewish and you say JEWS you are putting them down. If she was raised that way or is that way well and if your are Jewish that would have offended you Here we have huge Jewish Population the Governor said on PBS station the Jewish Populations in South Florida was over 700,000. The Governor didn't say we had so many JEWS here in South Florida that statement there would offend the Jewish Population. He would have to he would have to apologize for that racist statement. So what you say you have to be careful how you say it here.

• Like 1
I understand as an American you have a long ugly history with racism and it cuts people deep. Many of us do not have that history and do not experience racism at the level Americans do.

To me, as a Canadian, what OP is describing is called stereotypes, not racism. To others, with a different history, it could be perceived as racism.

Yes I agree with you Gaeto, here just a mess I know in my lifetime peace will not be here yet just maybe by 3000 AD. They'll get this (blank together)!

• Like 1

Btw, I don't think she is "racist" but I would cringe at such a remark, and it's one I would avoid saying.

• Like 2

I'm not willing to label somebody over a single off-handed remark. Maybe she was making fun of the stereotype. Maybe she is racist. Id pay attention going forward & if happens again, call her on it.

• Like 3
I'm not willing to label somebody over a single off-handed remark. Maybe she was making fun of the stereotype. Maybe she is racist. Id pay attention going forward & if happens again, call her on it.

But today no need for comments like that. You know there are many today. Too much hate, and not enough love. When are we all going to get our blank together make this world a better world.

• Like 1

Maybe she is familiar with Jewish people and she recognized something that she finds funny.

My Chinese colleagues all have the same habit of poring boiling water on their plates and cups before using them. If I see it on tv I might laugh and say: omg! they've got to be Chinese!! Would that be racist of me?

Who knows maybe this girl's boss is Jewish and she recognized a behavior and it made her laugh.

• Like 1
Maybe she is familiar with Jewish people and she recognized something that she finds funny.

My Chinese colleagues all have the same habit of poring boiling water on their plates and cups before using them. If I see it on tv I might laugh and say: omg! they've got to be Chinese!! Would that be racist of me?

Not proper to say.. Why make that comment that way just say wow look at those people what they're doing that for. This way we are all treated the same way not by race. But like I said we are not there yet.. Strange to think about we have new races and net generation of kids being born into a world where they're going to see a peaceful one but not today. New races and new type of people. It started and happening.. Everyone is the same we are all no different than each other.

Not proper to say.. Why make that comment that way just say wow look at those people what they're doing that for. This way we are all treated the same way not by race. But like I said we are not there yet.. Strange to think about we have new races and net generation of kids being born into a world where they're going to see a peaceful one but not today. New races and new type of people. It started and happening.. Everyone is the same we are all no different than each other.

For what it's worth I enjoy my Chinese colleagues to be different than I. I think their little habits are cute and we learn from each other every day even after working together 15 years. Our differences is what make our friendship so rich.

Same with my bf who's of different race than I. I love his culture is different than mine, it brings different sounds, colors and flavors to our lives.

I would not want to wake up in a world where we would all be the same. It would be boring to me.

I realize it's a very Canadian speech :-) Over here we are proud of being a multi-cultural country.

• Like 1

Ha! Never knew.... I thought I was the only one that did that. Summer or at the office, hot water to warm the plates.

Winter I put them in a warm oven for a moment.

I still think there is something about using the term "Jew" as well. And the fact "only a Jew" could do that.

As for your comment Graeta, there is a line between culture and race.

If someone starts saying "y'all" around here, I would say "they must be southern".

Edited to add....

There would be a difference between recognizing that a habit is particular to a culture (but obviously it isn't that they MUST be Chinese to do it, as I am Caucasian and learned that trick from my mother - who grew up in multiracial San Francisco, maybe that is where she got it),

And assuming one must be Chinese if they do that, or assuming that all Chinese do that.

"You are Chinese, why didn't you warm your plate?" Would be awkward.

Edited by RecentChange
  • Like 1
GunslingerRoland

So to go with this definition:

“Racism” isn’t just about hate – it CAN be that, but it is also defined as:

“the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.”

To my understanding being "Jewish" isn't a race, it's technically a religion, although it can also go hand in hand with an ethnicity some of the time. In practice though it's more of a culture than anything.

Do different cultures possess different characteristics? Yes they do, the norms of cultures (to whatever degree you define them) vary greatly.

It's like a joke about Californians liking sushi... it's not a racial thing, it's a culture thing.

I've met very few Jewish people in my life, yet I have ideas about Jewish culture just from watching TV and movies, there are styles of comedy that Jewish comedians can pull off, that wouldn't make sense if anyone else tried to do it.

So I don't necessarily think she is racist, even if what she said wasn't politically correct.

• Like 1
So to go with this definition:

To my understanding being "Jewish" isn't a race, it's technically a religion, although it can also go hand in hand with an ethnicity some of the time. In practice though it's more of a culture than anything.

I know many Jewish people - went to a largely Jewish grade school.

Its complicated, Judaism is a RELIGION. I could convert to Judaism if I wanted to follow that religion.

I will never be a "Jew" as that is an ethnic group - hailing from the Israelites.

I have friends who are Jewish by blood, they travel to Israel to visit their relatives, they have dual citizenship, yet to do not practice Judaism.

I have friends who practice Judaism, but are not Jewish.

As for a Jewish comedian -I think the more common denomiator there, is being a New Yorker. I can say that their style of comedy has nothing to do with my Jewish friends here on the west coast.