Looking to get back on that saddle

Daisy-oliviaWentcher

Daisy-oliviaWentcher

Advice on how a 34-year-old can positively navigate through dating.

Okay so I'll admit, the last boyfriend was a jerk, but he was my first proper boyfriend in 13 and a half years so naturally, I was incredibly grateful for the experience. It seems whenever I'm in a relationship I tend to lose a stack of weight. Have no idea how that works but seems to happen but anywho...

I've decided there is NO freaking way ill spend any more time single and upset over the last boyfriend, so I've decided to get back into dating. I have a clearer idea of what I want but find dating websites exhausting and wondered if any one out there dumped the online dating option and found their partners in different ways and quite soon after they broke up with their exes?

• Like 2

Yay! Me too! Let's discuss our man-hunting experiences here. I'm almost your age as well (will be 33 in few weeks), broke up with my long-term ex exactly an year ago, and besides one platonic heart break this summer - haven't dated at all.

IME meeting men in real life post college is very hard, unless you're cool with dating coworkers or cold approaches. I'm not ok with both so.. OLD it is.

Okay so I'll admit, the last boyfriend was a jerk, but he was my first proper boyfriend in 13 and a half years so naturally, I was incredibly grateful for the experience. It seems whenever I'm in a relationship I tend to lose a stack of weight. Have no idea how that works but seems to happen but anywho...

I've decided there is NO freaking way ill spend any more time single and upset over the last boyfriend, so I've decided to get back into dating. I have a clearer idea of what I want but find dating websites exhausting and wondered if any one out there dumped the online dating option and found their partners in different ways and quite soon after they broke up with their exes?

When I found myself single over 35, I treated finding a partner a little bit like a job search. By that I mean I put in the effort. Just like you would send out resumes & go on interviews, in dating you have to be on some OLD sites but you also have to do things in real life to meet people. I made a point to look around in other parts of my life, attend at least 1 singles / networking event per week & to let everybody know I was open to being fixed up.

I also changed my mind set a bit. In my past go round of interviews I had finally learned my own value so instead of selling myself hard to a potential employer I sat back more & let them explain why they were a good company. Similarly when dating, it's not all about you finding a man, but finding a good man who is good to you. Give the guy a chance to persuade you that he's worthy of your time.

• Like 2

My daughter has been trying speed-dating and she's been enjoying it. She usually finds a single friend willing to go with her. Even if there is no match at the end of the night they still had fun, ate and drank and made friends.

Okay so I'll admit, the last boyfriend was a jerk, but he was my first proper boyfriend in 13 and a half years so naturally, I was incredibly grateful for the experience. It seems whenever I'm in a relationship I tend to lose a stack of weight.

So your last meaningful relationship before this was age 20? Plus you tend to get fat outside of relationships?

How exactly do you intend to meet men outside of OLD? Bars and Clubs?

IME meeting men in real life post college is very hard, unless you're cool with dating coworkers or cold approaches. I'm not ok with both so.. OLD it is.

What is wrong with cold approaches?

I use to use the OLD = online dating like magic. But not anymore I turned to work to find a woman for me that made me laugh and even though caused me issues at lease I know she was paying attention. She likes me an the rest is history. Date from work try it if works then you have something. I will not use OLD again they messed it all up. I can talk to women in the store if I heard one saying I can't find my cereal or she wanted one that was crunchy yet soft. I had mentioned I have mo own and it's soft. But she told me she can't do seeds because of her stomach. She was very attractive women. I didn't say much after that, but I wish her the best. I am confident when I speak not shy nor would I be. I would like to have someone too in my life to share it and have fun with being romantic, snuggle, cuddle and wiggle... LOL I want the skies the limit.. I guess we all do, if you don't have someone you your life right now it's stuff but I manage because I was raised by loving parent who shown me love and respect and trust. Had values and moral I can go on and on but you get my meaning...