Was I being harsh or...?

CarolineJolly18

CarolineJolly18

So me and one guy were chating online and everything was going well, we talked a lot and we even arranged to meet up soon. One day I opened my whatsapp and I saw that he blocked me while I was trying to contact him. Literally blocked me in the middle of conversation. I tried to reach him through the phone too but I was blocked on it too, then I messaged him on Facebook asking what's going on why did you blocked me out of blue and he responded that he is going through some rough stuff now trying to get over his ex... and I was really pis*ed off then and called him an absolute moron and then he texted back: "whoa sorry for me going through some rough stuff in my life and calling me an idiot" and I was like do you think it's ok to go on tinder, talk to people and block them because you probably have an issue with your secret partner? Few days ago I saw he unblocked me again. Why would someone even do that? Do you think I was not being understandable or something?

You were not being understandable at all.

Something in his life needed his attention/focus and you were not willing to let him deal with it.

Your actions showed a lack of concern for him. Give him space like he wanted.

The guy is a stupid idiot and not worth your time. I don't get these actions at all...block mid-sentence?...wow.

I think you shouldn't have bothered tracking him down at whatever venue he forgot to block you on. He's not worth your time. I do, however, appreciate the fact you called him out, though, and attempted to make him accountable for his stupidity and immature and irrational behaviors.

He is flighty and strange. I have had a couple of these, and while I have not sought them out on other media to communicate, I have found that the level of conflict in 2-3 texts is too high a burden to pursue...I don't want to pursue someone so high maintenance.

This is only a tiny preview of the future. If he's just a little bit nuts and drama-filled now? Oh, just wait for the explosion when you two get all attached! You dodged a bullet.

Unfreakingbelievable to pull a full block, mid conversation...just nutters.

Dump and run....fast...run fast.

He's a good story to tell when you're talking to your friends about online dating and crazy men...that is some ENTERTAINMENT!...and that's all it is. :) You got something out of it. You got a good story and a learning experience. It's not a total loss.

Don't contact him again. He's unblocked you...do not contact and do not respond if he contacts you. You certainly have the option to block him, but do not respond or pursue him further.

Seriously, this much drama via text where there was apparently no drama or conflict and this results in full block is so asinine, I don't know why you even want to sniff in his direction.

• Like 1

Why would you even chase the "answer" to somebody blocking you in the middle of talking to them? Behavior like his was outrageously rude. There were so many more polite ways to handle communicating with you that he was conflicted.

When he did this, you should have simply concluded he was awful & moved on. Chasing him may have been instinctual but now that you know, you simply need to let him be.

• Like 4
Cookiesandough

If people block you, you don't hunt them down looking for an answer. I've had guys do this and it's freaking creepy!!! It's probably not so much a feeling of fear for men and depends on how much you like them, but I don't know. Block = Do not want to talk to you. It should be respected. You aren't owed anything from a virtual stranger and vice versa. Even if you find out the answer, it could be a complete lie. Maybe he did need to talk to girls to realize it wasn't working for him. Maybe it's not his ex and he just didn't like the convo and that's his right. Just accept he doesn't want to talk and move on.

Edited by Cookiesandough
  • Like 1

You had not met, he was a nobody to you. You should have just deleted him and move to next guy. I would never hunt down a man that blocks me, where's your pride.

• Like 2

He blocked you because he was with another woman at the time. Now, if this was a guy you had had a couple of dates with, maybe that's acceptable. When I am dating new, I often go on one or two dates with two or three (and once four) women over the course of a couple of weeks. When I am out with one of the others, I temporarily block the ones I am not with. Interestingly, I consider that respectful.

But if him being with another woman bothers you, then don't lose sleep over it. Just move on, because...he was locking lips with someone else.

Cookiesandough

Block? Can't you just silence/stop push notify that stuff? That's what I do anyway... probably because I can't go blocking 20+!guys I'm talking to. On WhatsApp I think they can see if they're blocked

Edited by Cookiesandough

Wow.. block you in the middle of a conversation?! How bloody rude! You were not harsh at all, he deserved it for being an idiot. Now you should block him off and simply move on, he's not even worth your time.

I doubt it was his ex.....it was his GF or wife, probably walking in on him while he was having a conversation with you. He got scared he would get busted, so he blocked you to cover his tracks. He unblocked you when the coast was clear again. It's pretty obvious he was planning to cheat or just tossing his line out to see what he could catch.

• Like 1
Cookiesandough

Haha would make sense. His wife came over his shoulder so he needed to block immediately.

but carolinejolly18 doesn't play around and demands answers. She probably would evidence of gf or wife on Facebook if she is a friend or maybe I am just a noob.???

Why would you even chase the "answer" to somebody blocking you in the middle of talking to them? Behavior like his was outrageously rude. There were so many more polite ways to handle communicating with you that he was conflicted.

When he did this, you should have simply concluded he was awful & moved on. Chasing him may have been instinctual but now that you know, you simply need to let him be.

Donnivan, you and I are from a different time. When someone stopped calling us, we just assumed they weren't interested.

Now it's called "ghosting," we demand explanations, and we must "rebuke" them and confront them to show them the error of their ways.

I think it just makes people look foolish, but it is apparently the new way.

I don't think it's a new era thing....it depends on how much one has invested in that person emotionally. Being led on that something special was happening, and then having the rug pulled from under you would make anyone become confrontational.

• Like 1

Every time I read threads like these I always wonder why people just can't give each other a straight answer. Why couldn't the guy have just said 'hey I am going through some stuff with my ex right now I am not ready to date after all' (or 'I met someone else' ) instead of just blocking you. I know you are a virtual stranger and you aren't entitled to someone's life story, but it still doesn't excuse the lack of common courtesy.

[i also wonder why so many people these days need to connect to a virtual stranger through all these different social media too. Someone I started dating usually just has my phone number (and if we met online can contact me through the site) and that is it.]

But yeah, in the meanwhile, don't go chasing someone who blocks you for no reason. It's not worth your energy and it is a bad look. As long as you didn't do anything you can be assured that there is something going on with them.

• Like 1
The guy was a slime dog.....he needed time to come up with an excuse.....after the GF went back home.

Yeah could be that too. A bunch of people are on dating sites to 'self-medicate' emotionally (they shouldn't be dating and they know they shouldn't be dating but they like the attention they get online), and some others are already in relationships and want to see what else is out there....

There are cheaters in this world, you think they plan on using dating sites only ethically?

Anyway OP do you really believe someone in one of the above situation is going to make the effort to 'do the right thing' and tell you directly what is up?

Edited by Imajerk17
  • Like 1
Cookiesandough

I have in the past blocked guys I just was no longer interested in talking to. I didn't want to have a speech about it. Many times, I felt like it was almost arrogant to say to someone who I assume would(should)care very little to begin with. Also, it's so easy to ignore someone you have little interest in. Unfortunate, but true. But certainly some people you start talking to online and lose interest in find it more polite for you to say: i am no longer interested in you or this conversation because [ something else harsh but true if you can pinpoint it]. Good day."

I try my best to be respectful and kind as per circumstance. Usually I say "I'm no longer interested. Bye." Usually they ask why

Edited by Cookiesandough