What is the average cost of an engagement ring?

BadRomanc3

Because I'm thinking if I buy her a ring for $100k she can't say no! :D

The USA average is about $6K. Why in the world would you consider buying a ring for that much?

• Like 1
LOL because I love her that much.. I don't need a Porche, I need her and that's it! :p

If you are very rich, then I guess a 100k ring is nothing. Otherwise, how do you know she wants such an expensive ring? You can take her on many impressive vacations for many wonderful experiences and memories with that money.

• Like 2

Average cost nationally is 8k. Mine was a bit over 12, I have friends whose rings are between 500 dollars and 50k. To be honest it is really hard to tell the difference between diamonds past a certain point. Anything with flawless clarity, an excellent cut and over a given size is just blindingly brilliant.

Whatever you do, don't get her anything she doesn't want. She is the one who has to wear it daily. A giant rock that makes it hard to work, gets caught on things, or attracts this may not be up her alley. I have tiny fingers and when my fiancé encouraged me to get a 2 carat stone for a try-on I couldn't even type with the damn thing.

If you really want to make her happy, buy a nice ring, plan a vacation, and put the rest of the money in a diverse mix of mutual funds...:love::love::love:

• Like 1

Honestly if someone offers me an engagement ring of 100K I'll just think he's a complete moron. Sorry. No amount of wealth justifies spending that much on jewelry and I'd hate being married to someone who can't grasp that.

100K to my mortgage though... I may think differently :lmao:

• Like 4

8K average for a ring??? So this will include dudes making 40K per year trashing 8K for a tiny piece of metal and some stone??? That is so sad...

Average cost nationally is 8k. Mine was a bit over 12, I have friends whose rings are between 500 dollars and 50k. To be honest it is really hard to tell the difference between diamonds past a certain point. Anything with flawless clarity, an excellent cut and over a given size is just blindingly brilliant.

Whatever you do, don't get her anything she doesn't want. She is the one who has to wear it daily. A giant rock that makes it hard to work, gets caught on things, or attracts this may not be up her alley. I have tiny fingers and when my fiancé encouraged me to get a 2 carat stone for a try-on I couldn't even type with the damn thing.

If you really want to make her happy, buy a nice ring, plan a vacation, and put the rest of the money in a diverse mix of mutual funds...:love::love::love:

3 months wages.......

Pre-tax :lmao:? I feel so lucky I'm not a man because I'd never be able to justify such a cost...

Edited by No_Go
The USA average is about $6K. Why in the world would you consider buying a ring for that much?

Good question. Ask her if a fake ring will do,, and if a killer vacation or a down payment on a house would be preferable. Maybe she wants a Porsche instead... :D

• Like 2
8K average for a ring??? So this will include dudes making 40K per year trashing 8K for a tiny piece of metal and some stone??? That is so sad...

The question was about the average cost, not median. Like any average it is skewed by people at the upper end paying much larger amounts. I don't think many people making 40k are spending 8k on a ring.

In my experience there's actually much less pressure today to spend a fortune on a ring. People use all kinds of metals, even wood, and I know a couple folks who had family rings repurposed/refashioned instead of buying new ones.

Edited by lana-banana
  • Like 3

Googled it and median is still high ($4000 in 2014) considering median income.

https://www.sproutworkshop.com/2015/11/a-data-driven-guide-to-buying-a-diamond-engagement-ring/

Re-purposing family stones is what I heard of as well...

In the end - whatever, it is just some jewelry. I assume it is a joke thread anyway.

The question was about the average cost, not median. Like any average it is skewed by people at the upper end paying much larger amounts. I don't think many people making 40k are spending 8k on a ring.

In my experience there's actually much less pressure today to spend a fortune on a ring. People use all kinds of metals, even wood, and I know a couple folks who had family rings repurposed/refashioned instead of buying new ones.

• Like 1
RecentChange

Re-purposing family stones is what I heard of as well....

That is what we did. I really like my ring, and the vintage stone is just lovely - but I would have seriously bulked if he had purchased the stone - I am way too practical and wouldn't want to spend so much.

So, I am quite grateful that he has a generous aunt who wanted to see the stone stay in the family. Together my husband and I choose a setting for it, and a diamond band to match.

• Like 1

OP: Are you quite rich? It's difficult to answer your question without knowing your financial situation. I personally don't understand why someone would throw so much money on a piece of jewelry. But a couple of years ago, some billionaire spent a record $48.4m buying an 12-carat diamond for his seven-year-old daughter in an auction. So here you go...

• Like 1
normal person

"Traditionally" it's been 3 month's salary, but I feel like that doesn't really apply anymore. Times are changing. People are regretting spending so much on their (unnecessarily lavish) weddings and wished they'd put money towards their mortgage or loans. A ring is a pretty similar luxury.

If 3 month's salary is $8k, then you can't afford to spend $8k on a ring. If 3 months salary is $100k, you can probably afford it, but a ring that expensive would just be a tasteless monument to your stupidity and decadence.

If you're rolling in cash, I'm sure most sensible women would be happy with something in the $8-15k range. It's nice, but not stupidly or unnecessarily so.

If you're making a more average salary, I'm sure your soon to be fiance is well aware, and hopefully isn't going to resent you for spending "only" $2-5k. If she does, you're probably marrying the wrong person.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, what did you guys do with the engagement ring after the wedding?

Re: the OP's question, I've seen a wide range so I'm not really sure what the average is. Probably a few thousand from the looks of things. I don't think anyone should be shamed for whatever they choose for their partner - sure it's okay to get a cheap one since it's the intention that counts, but if they want to splurge and can afford it, why wouldn't that be okay as well?

normal person
. I don't think anyone should be shamed for whatever they choose for their partner - sure it's okay to get a cheap one since it's the intention that counts, but if they want to splurge and can afford it, why wouldn't that be okay as well?

Consider practicality, responsibility, demographics, and personal spending habits. In my opinion, even if you've got $2-5 million stashed away, $100k is still a sizeable portion of your net worth to spend on something that you could get for a fraction of the price that essentially does the same job. I assume there are more people closer to this level of net worth than there are closer to that where the $100K is pocket change. And all that being said, it's a luxury item, not a necessity. So at some point, the thought of "this is totally unnecessary" is probably going to come up, it's just a matter of at what dollar figure, and the implications thereof to everyone else. I guess it could be viewed as an investment, but a particularly ostentatious one.

Also, consider this: wearing something that expensive makes you a target to people. My mom had an expensive wedding ring, and my dad very smartly had a fake copy of it made, and insist she wear the fake while he kept the real one in a safe.

It's like people who live in gigantic 20 bedroom houses. Sure, if that's what you want to do with your money, that's within your right. But surely it's a bit excessive when 6 bedrooms would still do the job more than adequately? Surely there's a better, more practical use of all that capital? Surely it's safer not to advertise yourself as the richest person around?

Edited by normal person
  • Like 1

You should be under very little doubt that she would say yes. If not, you are not in the right place in the relationship...

The sounds of a woman in love is often the sounds of a woman complaining about the various ways that you are being non-committal. Not the sounds of a woman talking about diamonds. And probably not the sounds of a man talking about diamonds, either...

And, If the diamonds for loving trade off works, you'll have created a rod for your back.

Spend your money on sexy lingerie, and a trip to Vegas instead.

If you feel that the 100K ring, and million dollar wedding is needed, then learn the magical word "NO" - which turns women on more than diamonds.

• Like 1

An engagement ring is a bad investment. Eventually, there's close to a 50% chance that it could cost you half of all your assets, and a large fraction of all future earnings.

An engagement ring is a bad investment. Eventually, there's close to a 50% chance that it could cost you half of all your assets, and a large fraction of all future earnings.

I believe you are talking about marriage. The ring doesn't solidify the transaction, the wedding/marriage certificate and ceremony does. :lmao:

Still, OP who placed a monetary value to the engagement ring? You or your gf? If you think buying someone a $100K engagement ring equates to true love....well, it's your money.

fieldoflavender

Mine that I wore for a few weeks was very very expensive (although not that expensive, 100k is freaking ridiculous), but it was the best part of the things I gave back.

Any actual girl will not want some expensive freaking thing on her hand unless she wants to be a trophy wife.

Sometimes girls get confused, "if he spent that much, he must really love me" - but at the end of the day, the smart girls still figure it out. Anything with monetary value can be replaceable.