To All the Girls I've Loved Before (or not)

nospam99

My apologies to you nice folks reading this post at loveshack. I recently had an emotionally difficult experience (described below) and wanted or needed to "shout" it out to the world. I first found anotherlovesitethatwillremainnameless and posted there. However as I examined the other threads at the other site I started thinking "this place might suk". So, still feeling a need to communicate I found loveshack. My other post follows below. I think other than this stuff about another site, it is self-explanatory.

Newbie here. 60-something, recently divorced from a long marriage that went bad a long time ago. I recently attended a high school reunion. I wasn't and I'm really not "looking for love". But .... At the reunion I had some wonderful conversations with some wonderful women who had been my classmates. All married :( So there are "some things I need to get off my chest". I actually sought out a place to post this and found ... because the online neighborhoods I usually frequent are just not appropriate for this post. (Readers who hate drama as much as I usually do should stop reading at this point ;) )

Ladies,

I'm sorry that 45 years ago I had neither the confidence nor the means to ask you out.

I'm sorry that 35 years ago when I had the confidence and the means you weren't nearby.

I'm sad that now when I still have the confidence (although the means are getting real shakey) almost all "the good ones" appear to be "taken".

I'm sad that life is short and "autumn's closing in".

In spite of my own sorrow and sadness,

"I hope life treats you kind

And I hope you have all you've dreamed of

And I wish to you joy and happiness".

• Like 3

I'm sure these ladies would be very flattered to know how interested you were in them. You should friend some of them and especially any old male classmates on Facebook and start asking them to fix you up with their friends. I'm sure they're not ALL married. It is nice to reconnect with people from your exact background, feel very comfortable sometimes. So let them know you want to date someone from the old neighborhood. They might start inviting you to backyard barbecues and stuff if you still live near enough to go there.

Also, since you are interested in nice women near your own age, I strongly suggest you join an "over 50" singles meetup group in your area. Just google your town name and "meetup" and it will probably come up with some pages of different meetup groups right there in your area. Some will be for singles and others will not be. Besides looking at the ones for singles over 50, you should also look at any groups that meet to go out and enjoy a certain activity or interest that you enjoy. There is literally all kinds of stuff, from model planes groups to craft beer groups to paranormal meetup groups or grilling or cooking. I mean if you're in or near a large town there's groups of all types of interests. You can make new friends you have something in common with and also meet some ladies. Good luck.

Edited by preraph

P.S. I like the title of your post, the old Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson song, "To all the Girls I've Loved Before." I used to go around the office singing the Julio version out loud just to freak everyone out (I'm a female).

• Like 1
Space Ritual

A stark reminder to go for the gusto while you have more days ahead of you, than behind you.

Reminds me I probably need to go to the Strip joint on my day off and find my true love in a G String...lol

"To All the Girls," a short poem by Robratory.

To all the girls I've loved before (or not)

I assure you all that you were hot

You were all goddesses and queens, I thought,

but of course by now you've gone to pot.

Alright, man, I know where you're coming from. I'm just a few years younger than you, and yes, if only I had known then what I know now... but we don't get do-overs in this life. The question is, knowing what we know now, where do we go from here?

Don't be sad. Life's not over. My ex-wife's parents passed away within months of each other in 2015 at 88 and 89. As recently as the year before that, I had heard they would send the live-in nurse they had on bogus errands so they could get it on. And I had an upstairs neighbor when I was in my late 20s. She was an old Russian woman, 83 she told me, and why would she lie? She talked about "my boyfriend" like it was nothing out of the ordinary, and from time to time, I'd hear the unmistakable sound of knocking and muffled voices from my ceiling.

Edited by Robratory
  • Author

Thank you all for your replies. You have proved me correct in my suspicion that loveshack would be more "welcoming". My own replies to some of the specifics to follow ...

• Author
I'm sure these ladies would be very flattered to know how interested you were in them.

I agree. However at the reunion everyone was casual and friendly. I didn't even consider it at the time but it would have been very tacky for the divorced guy to go around hitting on the married women....especially the ones there with their equally friendly husbands.

You should friend some of them and especially any old male classmates on Facebook and start asking them to fix you up with their friends..

A good idea. Sadly none of my old friends live near me. I socialize mostly with my kids' friends.

I'm sure they're not ALL married.

Maybe not .... but the ones who are still "hot" are :p

Also, since you are interested in nice women near your own age, I strongly suggest you join an "over 50" singles meetup group in your area.

Another good idea and long since done.

Thanks for your suggestions. The main reason for my OP was to vent. Sometimes, and this was one of them, "people" (ME!) really just need to "talk". And the positive feedback helps, too. :D

• Like 1
  • Author
P.S. I like the title of your post, the old Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson song, "To all the Girls I've Loved Before." I used to go around the office singing the Julio version out loud just to freak everyone out (I'm a female).

Good, but easy, catch. I also referenced Bob Seger's Night Moves and Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You. The topic cries out for Baby Boomer music.

• Like 1
  • Author
"To All the Girls," a short poem by Robratory.

To all the girls I've loved before (or not)

I assure you all that you were hot

You were all goddesses and queens, I thought,

but of course by now you've gone to pot.

Very nice ad hoc poetry. They were indeed all hot and many (the married ones I referred to) have not gone to pot much at all. They and I have simply traded our hair for "crowns of silver hue".

The question is, knowing what we know now, where do we go from here?

Pick up the pieces and ride the emotional maturity, confidence, and diminishing economic stability as far as they can take us.